Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default SR-300 Strainer setup and adjustments

Hey everyone,

I built a snare and am using the SR-300 strainer on it. The problem I am having is that this thing came with no setup instructions and despite searching the entire web, no one has ever discussed how to properly set up the strainer and how it’s tension adjustments work.

Right now I have the strainer and butt on the drum, the wires are on, and the levers move to raise and lower the wires. So Im mostly there. After I fiddled with the tension knobs for a few minutes getting nowhere I realized I needed to tighten the set screws in them so they grab the screws inside the strainer. Okay... so now what? Screws go in and out pushing the little finger things on the bottom in and out just a little bit, maybe 1/8”. And now that the knurled knobs are tightened on to the screws, the tensioning levers operate very poorly, scratching their way up and down, getting caught or hung up when released.

I also don’t feel The tension adjustment works properly either. It starts off with a little tension, then as you presumably tighten the wires, they loosen for a few turns, then begin tightening back up to a mild level of tightness. The tension adjustment knobs bind and fight you when you turn them as if the screw threads are all gummed up, but they aren’t because the whole unit is brand new.

So, what’s the deal with this thing? It shouldn’t be this hard, and it really shouldn’t be binding on itself. How do you set this strainer up right from the get go. Imagine you are changing all your snare wires, what’s the procedure to give you proper tension adjustment and smooth operation?

Last edited by Tommy_D; 01-22-2018 at 10:23 PM.

2. Registered User

So, no one has used this strainer?

I have been playing around with it and it gets hung up on itself a lot. I did take the black plate off to expose the internals and there is a lot of metal to metal contact in this strainer. This is the reason why it gets hung up on itself.

Here are some photos of the internals of the mechanism. As you can see, when fully tensioned or loosened the slider scrapes along a metal surface impeding its movement:

Fully loose:

Fully tensioned:

Even at half tension, there is enough play in the system for it to get caught when you release the wires. It causes a "half on" situation that can only be fixed by pressing in on the tensioner knob to release it. The lever just gets jammed.

3. Meus nomen est Nate.

Sounds like you have a defective throwoff. There's a, "first aid" section of this forum. You should post this there and you might get more responses.
    TOOL

"There’s a strong correlation between this band’s name and the type of people who listen to their MC Escher butt rock. Hopefully it will be 10,000 more days before they release another album."

4. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    Hey everyone,

I built a snare and am using the SR-300 strainer on it. The problem I am having is that this thing came with no setup instructions and despite searching the entire web, no one has ever discussed how to properly set up the strainer and how it’s tension adjustments work.

Right now I have the strainer and butt on the drum, the wires are on, and the levers move to raise and lower the wires. So Im mostly there. After I fiddled with the tension knobs for a few minutes getting nowhere I realized I needed to tighten the set screws in them so they grab the screws inside the strainer. Okay... so now what? Screws go in and out pushing the little finger things on the bottom in and out just a little bit, maybe 1/8”. And now that the knurled knobs are tightened on to the screws, the tensioning levers operate very poorly, scratching their way up and down, getting caught or hung up when released.

I also don’t feel The tension adjustment works properly either. It starts off with a little tension, then as you presumably tighten the wires, they loosen for a few turns, then begin tightening back up to a mild level of tightness. The tension adjustment knobs bind and fight you when you turn them as if the screw threads are all gummed up, but they aren’t because the whole unit is brand new.

So, what’s the deal with this thing? It shouldn’t be this hard, and it really shouldn’t be binding on itself. How do you set this strainer up right from the get go. Imagine you are changing all your snare wires, what’s the procedure to give you proper tension adjustment and smooth operation?

When I had the SR-300, I noticed exactly the same thing. I didn't like the sound of the other snare wires (other than "snappy"), so I ended up using the snappy wires on all three mechanisms. The best sound I was able to achieve (for my taste) was the middle wires off, and the outer snappy wires on. As far as tension, I know exactly what you mean. Just adjust the cords until you find a good tension for each set of wires, then leave them alone. I don't know why the tension knobs don't seem to function the way you'd expect. I tried to adjust the knobs to find the loosest and tightest settings, the way you do on a typical throw off, and I was unable to find the loosest and tightest settings.
    Anyone who owns a 14x6.5 Reference Snare OR a 14x5.5/6.5 Masters Premium Snare AND is interested in trading their chrome hardware for black hardware, PM me!

Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    When I had the SR-300, I noticed exactly the same thing. I didn't like the sound of the other snare wires (other than "snappy"), so I ended up using the snappy wires on all three mechanisms. The best sound I was able to achieve (for my taste) was the middle wires off, and the outer snappy wires on. As far as tension, I know exactly what you mean. Just adjust the cords until you find a good tension for each set of wires, then leave them alone. I don't know why the tension knobs don't seem to function the way you'd expect. I tried to adjust the knobs to find the loosest and tightest settings, the way you do on a typical throw off, and I was unable to find the loosest and tightest settings.
    Well, I'm sort of getting the hang of this thing, but I agree the tension adjustment doesn't really do much. There is very little sound difference between fully loose and fully tight. It's basically impossible to get a nice sloshy sounding snare wire tone and a tight snare wire tone all by adjusting the wire tension knobs. It just doesn't have the range to do it. You can get somewhat sloshy to middle of the road tightness in spades, but that's the best I can get so far.

I swapped out the Puresound cables with the Pearl nylon cords and the snare wires actually disengage from the snare side head now. Those Puresound cables were too stiff that the strainer couldn't fully disengage the wires due to its short travel. They would still bounce against the reso head when they were fully disengaged. The nylon cords work better.

Overall, I don't dislike this strainer, but I'm a bit disappointed in its operation. I didn't think it would have such limited tuning ability and travel in its operation. I thought the symphonic players would want complete control of the snares to be able to finely tune each one, but it turns out it's a bit "numb", which is unfortunate. I'm going to keep playing with it and hopefully get it working better. If I find some magical setting that gets the strainer to work as I would expect, I'll post it up so others can learn from my trials and tribulations.

6. Registered User

Well, I have come to the conclusion that this strainer system is a "set it and forget it" system. You really have no adjustability in the tension of the wires to "fine tune" them. They are either on or off. If you adjust the tension of the head, the snare wires may not sound right at the new tension. Fortunately, you can tinker with the tension knobs to make them work with the new tension of the head, but there is no ability to have a sloshy sounding snare wire or a tight sounding snare wire. They either sound good, or they sound bad.

Overall, my expectations were not met with this strainer system and the lack of information put out by Pearl, and by reviewers, is disappointing. Had I known this strainer system would not give me the adjustability I was expecting, I probably would have chosen a different system. However, I can't say I'm disappointed with the various sounds I can get out of my snare drum with this strainer system. The simulated gut wires make this drum sound like a field drum calling out soldier formations on the battlefield. No other drum I own can do this. The wound wire gives a nice dry sound that reminds me of a ballad snare sound. No other snare I own can do this. The snappy wires are just that. Nice and snappy. I have other snares that can do a better job with this sound than this one. BUT, I have all 3 of these sounds in one drum, which is like nothing else I own. I shouldn't complain too much, but this system is not the crème de la crème of snare strainers like I had imagined.

Pearl, if you are reading this, a HUGE upgrade to this system would be to have the 3 levers on one side and change the butt plate to 3 standard vertical style tension adjusters. This would make the whole system operate with insane adjustability.