Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. I <3 Ludwigs.

Default Triggers on mesh heads vs. normal heads

Anyone tried both? I'm waiting until Sunday before the police hold will be let go on my new-to-me Yamaha DTXpress. Then I will be able to play around with the RT series Roland triggers I picked up many moons ago. I got some mesh heads since I live in an apartment but I haven't put them on yet. Anyone had good or bad luck with those? Should I just go with muting the plastic heads as much as possible? Any input is appreciated!

Elec

2. Drum Ninja

I've had really good luck using mesh heads with triggers. You'll need to adjust your settings to kill double triggering and a little dab of moongel on either side of the trigger helps but all told it works really well. If you have some old heads you can cut the ring off of them and cut the center out to make a dampening ring to put under the mesh head. I've gotten phenomenal results doing this with a set of silent stroke heads.
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle
    RBH Westwood Drums in Green Sparkle

3. Drum Ninja

Name:  Drums.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  71.2 KB

Here's my Midtown kit set up with mesh heads and e-cymbals.

4. I <3 Ludwigs.

Awesome! Thanks for the response. I guess I'll put the mesh heads on then and give 'em a go when my module gets here Sunday.

Are you in NYC? My brother lives in Harlem and I was able to spend Christmas with him up there this year. The city is great when it's empty!

5. Registered User

Mesh makes you seem way faster though, when you play a real kit after you will be frustrated haha. Especial with the triggers making it sound good.

I put a mesh kick head on once. My heel toe was pure insanity. If you rest your beater you get a lot of bounce and double triggers. So as long as your technique is good they work amazing... Mesh can be tuned pretty tight too so the triggers are really accurate.

6. Drum Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by erwinner View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the response. I guess I'll put the mesh heads on then and give 'em a go when my module gets here Sunday.

Are you in NYC? My brother lives in Harlem and I was able to spend Christmas with him up there this year. The city is great when it's empty!
    I live a little north of the city in the Hudson Valley. Honestly, I rarely find myself in the city and don't miss it...