Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. PDF Bashing Team Cap

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    In the midst of my very first audition for my first band I noticed that the singer was hunkered down in front of the drum kit for a few minutes. I stood up and saw that he was stuffing crack into a crack pipe. I took the guitarist outside and told him in no uncertain terms that I was NOT into that foolishness. To his credit, he curtailed that.
    You aren't compelled by the war on drugs to immediately do something about that guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    We finished the audition last night.

+ Nice guy, professional and easy to work with.
    + Well prepared for the 6 songs we asked him to do.
    + Skilled at public speaking.

Dislikes:
    - Arrived 11 minutes late.
    - Arrived without a vocal mic.
    - Unfamiliar with much of the classic rock genre.
    What I see here are pros in all the right places and cons that can be discussed or worked out. Or in the case of the unfamiliarity, worked on once he has the gig (because why spend too much time delving into something if there is no incentive).

The other guys in the band are more forgiving about the 11 minutes late than I am. They're willing to overlook it and chalk it up to audition day jitters. I'm not so sure.
    11 minutes -- in the grand scheme of things -- isn't a huge deal breaker, to be honest. Maybe traffic was a bit heavier than anticipated?

On the flip side, if I have jitters for something, I'm usually there 30 minutes before hand.

2. Drumming Since 1943

You aren't compelled by the war on drugs to immediately do something about that guy?

This occurred almost 10 years before I was a cop. And... the "war on drugs"? Really?
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    What I see here are pros in all the right places and cons that can be discussed or worked out. Or in the case of the unfamiliarity, worked on once he has the gig (because why spend too much time delving into something if there is no incentive).

11 minutes -- in the grand scheme of things -- isn't a huge deal breaker, to be honest. Maybe traffic was a bit heavier than anticipated?

On the flip side, if I have jitters for something, I'm usually there 30 minutes before hand.
    Wise words. I agree.

The rest of the guys and I are getting more comfortable with this singer. My list of "cons" were a bit overblown. We scheduled a second rehearsal with him, adding more songs. As a sign of good faith I deleted the Craigslist ad. I think this is the guy we're gonna go with.

Every other response to our ad has been from individuals who clearly to not fit the description.

4. Registered User

Many many years ago the hard rock band I was in was auditioning singers. The other members were handling the phone screenings and made it very clear that the band was loud. Multiple full stacks for both guitars and bass, plus my double kick set with 24" bass drums. So one singer shows up looking like the Subdivisions nerd with a bad hair cut. And this was his rig more or less:

My 8" splash was louder than his full PA rig. Singers..

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
    Many many years ago the hard rock band I was in was auditioning singers. The other members were handling the phone screenings and made it very clear that the band was loud. Multiple full stacks for both guitars and bass, plus my double kick set with 24" bass drums. So one singer shows up looking like the Subdivisions nerd with a bad hair cut. And this was his rig more or less:
    My 8" splash was louder than his full PA rig. Singers..
    Ha Ha! Our previous singer used to drive our guitar player absolutely nuts. He'd play rhythm guitar (badly), bring a collection of up to five low-quality, poorly tuned guitars and play them through a tiny amp that sounded like a nest of angry wasps.

6. Rogue Ex-Mod

Ha Ha! Our previous singer used to drive our guitar player absolutely nuts. He'd play rhythm guitar (badly), bring a collection of up to five low-quality, poorly tuned guitars and play them through a tiny amp that sounded like a nest of angry wasps.
    LOL at "nest of angry wasps". I know exactly what you mean.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

7. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by David Hollywood View Post
    LOL at "nest of angry wasps". I know exactly what you mean.
    That;s the name of my Stryper/WASP cover band.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Registered User

That;s the name of my Stryper/WASP cover band.
    Dang! Hope I don't hear from your lawyer!

Seriously, I'm so glad I don't have to answer any more Craigslist ads. Lotsa weirdos out there.

9. PDF Bashing Team Cap

And... the "war on drugs"? Really?
    Things only late-twentieth-century kids will remember.

Seriously, I'm so glad I don't have to answer any more Craigslist ads. Lotsa weirdos out there.
    I have a hard time perusing CL; it just sketches me out. At least Kijiji uses a bright colour scheme.

10. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Things only late-twentieth-century kids will remember.

I have a hard time perusing CL; it just sketches me out. At least Kijiji uses a bright colour scheme.
    I AM an '80's kid but I just thought that was a weird comment.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Registered User

I AM an '80's kid but I just thought that was a weird comment.
    Not to derail the conversation but.... On Thursday, someone was running around sticking "Stop the war on drugs" bumper stickers on the vehicles belonging to some local Army personnel. Not funny. They had to spend time peeling them off and then removing the residue. A joke is one thing, but vandalizing someone's property is low class. They brought the issue to my attention and I told them to file a police report.

It turned out kinda funny. The attractive female Army lieutenant and the handsome male police officer really took a liking to one another. The cop spent a considerable amount of time investigating this incident; more than the average homicide. They even sent me away to go check my car to see if it was tagged as well while they talked.

12. Drumming Since 1943

Not to derail the conversation but.... On Thursday, someone was running around sticking "Stop the war on drugs" bumper stickers on the vehicles belonging to some local Army personnel. Not funny. They had to spend time peeling them off and then removing the residue. A joke is one thing, but vandalizing someone's property is low class. They brought the issue to my attention and I told them to file a police report.

It turned out kinda funny. The attractive female Army lieutenant and the handsome male police officer really took a liking to one another. The cop spent a considerable amount of time investigating this incident; more than the average homicide. They even sent me away to go check my car to see if it was tagged as well while they talked.
    That’s awesome! You were there for the blossoming of a great love. Or a one-night-stand. Either one. Lol
    Way Too Much Crap