Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sciriez View Post
    I can totally work with that. If I was working a rack system I would probably go virgin just for cleanliness of presentation. That makes a whole lot of sense to me. But for smaller kits I just see too many set-ups that could have a much smaller footprint if they'd had a bass mount and I feel like the idea of the virgin kick is actually more desirable than the actuality. Pearl did do gold tom arms previously but do not anymore. The most recent I've seen was 3 years ago, I spoke to Tom Storch about them when I was making my Masterworks Snare order and he said they weren't an uncommon request, but not one that Pearl do anymore, which I found quite strange. I plan to find somewhere to have them plated sometime between now and May - when the snare is due to arrive.
    Agreed. A bit weird. But so are a lot of Pearl's decisions.

You'll have to keep us informed about your mission to plate the chrome hardware.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

2. Registered User

Absolutely gorgeous kit. Congrats!

3. Registered User

Nice set up. I especially like the 20x18 kick drum size
    2016 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5.5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

4. Drummer since 1963

Outstanding! Ref Pure is my favorite Pearl kit (outside of the Sonic Select Studio). The finish and hardware you chose are a perfect complement to each other. Too cool. 20" kick? Spectacular!

Pearl Prestige Session/SPX drums
    Pearl MCX 5"x14" #258 Black Silk

5. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Sentiment View Post
    Imagine taking your Masterworks kit to a gig? Haha.
    I wouldn't do it. Call me a wuss, but I'd rather be a wuss with less wear and tear on my instruments. That being said, I would get a nice kit to play out with, but it would probably be a wrap and not a lacquer, if at all possible.
    *WANT TO BUY* Tama Melody Master 14x5.5 snare drum with DT Graphics, Black or White EMAIL ME.

Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I wouldn't do it. Call me a wuss, but I'd rather be a wuss with less wear and tear on my instruments. That being said, I would get a nice kit to play out with, but it would probably be a wrap and not a lacquer, if at all possible.
    I wouldn't take my main MW kit out to gig, but I love taking my smaller MW kits (Jungle, Cocktail).

I'm extremely careful with them. Everything is double-bagged and doesn't get handled by anyone else.

MM

7. Registered User

Beautiful Kit! Pearl does an amazing Wine Red finish.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    Agreed. A bit weird. But so are a lot of Pearl's decisions.

You'll have to keep us informed about your mission to plate the chrome hardware.
    I absolutely will. Probably wont be looking at it until closer to May when I expect my MW snare to arrive, but I'll definitely do a follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous kit. Congrats!
    Thanks! I really love it.

QUOTE=MusicMan;1854421710]Nice set up. I especially like the 20x18 kick drum size [/QUOTE]

Thanks. The tone from it is amazing. It feels like a cannon to me, and it absolutely sounds like it. Serious depth and punch in droves. Loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gerber View Post
    Outstanding! Ref Pure is my favorite Pearl kit (outside of the Sonic Select Studio). The finish and hardware you chose are a perfect complement to each other. Too cool. 20" kick? Spectacular!
    Thanks, Ron! I love how the gold brings out the warmth in the red. The two play so well together, and Pearl have found the precise shades to keep things elegant instead of ostentatious...It's fantastic. And yeah, read above for my feelings on the kick. Spectacular is absolutely bang on!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    ^^ I completely understand this feeling. It was a real internal struggle for me to go with the gold hardware when every part of me screams of the impracticality. Much like my car - I was terrified of getting leather seats 'cause I move stuff around all the time (like the kit/cocktail kit/other instruments) and scratching the leather seemed inevitable. Now, though, I absolutely love them, and I stand by the idea that certain objects are designed to be used, and if that shortens its lifespan, that's what it's designed for. I've got a thick carpet to set them up with now and I have ordered the Protection Racket AAA cases from the UK - which are nothing short of perfect, honestly - to protect them as best I can in transit.
    Also, as everyone in the bands I play in have instruments of equal or greater worth I feel safe that they'll look out for my gear as I would. I don't have them touch my gear at all, but I'm not worried that they'll cause any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri6366 View Post
    Beautiful Kit! Pearl does an amazing Wine Red finish.
    They really do. I didn't expect it to be quite so...purple? But it just adds another element of depth to the whole feel.

9. Registered User

Sciriez,

Modern Drummer magazine did an article a few years back and tested numerous kick drum dimensions and found that the 20x18 kick drum size had the best balance of punch and power. I've always preferred using that size too.

MM