Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

2. Purple Crazed

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Let me know if you ever decide to sell one of those
    . . . but I will let you know if that day ever comes Mitch!

Tama Octobans

3. life start at 125bpm

nice reference family RG1820 X

if it wasn't of the fact the strident ring displayed by most steel snares i've heard to this day always sounded harsh to me ears , i would be easily able to snatch a ref steel because they're more commonly found in the local ads than its brass counterpart . maybe with a different head and tuning than what i'm used to would change my mind about it.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

4. Purple Crazed

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    nice reference family RG1820 X

if it wasn't of the fact the strident ring displayed by most steel snares i've heard to this day always sounded harsh to me ears , i would be easily able to snatch a ref steel because they're more commonly found in the local ads than its brass counterpart . maybe with a different head and tuning than what i'm used to would change my mind about it.
    The only steel snare that I can compare it to is the Chad Smith model. I have an Evans Power Center Reverse Dot head on it with a Moon Gel. Although I haven't noticed a harsh ring (maybe I have noise-induced hearing loss at that frequency), I haven't given it any extended playtime - I should get some time in the next two weeks. I am also curious if other Reference Steel snares (14x5 and/or 14x6.5) have the harsh ring.

Tama Octobans

5. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    They were a must-have for me . . .

Name:  DOTY2017Snares.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  99.6 KB
    Really nice instruments!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Registered User

RGX,

Nice looking snares
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

7. Purple Crazed

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Really nice instruments!
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    RGX,

Nice looking snares
    Thanks Matt and MM! Some people here might sympathize with me when I say I wear gloves when I move them

Tama Octobans

8. life start at 125bpm

Thanks Matt and MM! Some people here might sympathize with me when I say I wear gloves when I move them
    this might be the reference virus. i too take extra care when i handle my reference snare drum lol...maybe a reflex instilled by the weight of the 20 plies drum. it's heavy,and you don't want it slipping off your paws then banging on the tile floor .
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

9. I'll Fear no evil!!!

Hey guys thanks for the replies! The Reference is on my list for next snare! Shame is so expensive here! I found a second hand snare but unfortunately I just don’t like the colour , want to get the one I really like! I have been playing with a Gretsch steel cast and a Gretsch bell brass snare here at Uni and they sound so beautiful, I believe the Reference is just the same game! Funny enough the Gretsch are easier to find and cheaper around here! You guys that are on a search, hope you grab yours soon!

10. Johnbe

Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano Kolling View Post
    Hi guys, would like the opinion of Reference snare players out there! I always wanted to have one, is like my dream snare, but the price always scared me! I have a Eric Singer and a Tico Torres snare which I really love and I believe they do the job very well! My point is , is the Reference snare a must have? Would it have such a difference in quality and sound? Cheers
    I had to substitute my Pearl Reference snare with my Rogers Dynasonic during a repair episode. When I started playing, it was hard to tell the difference. Both were tuned the same. If I were a collector I might say the Reference is a must, but I'm no collector.
    PEARL Reference Series in Red Glass: 24 x 18 Kicks (2) / 14 x 6.5 wood Snare / 12 x 9, 13 x 10, 14 x 11, 15 x 12 Rack Toms / 16 x 16 & 18 x 16 Floor Toms
    15 cymbals Zildjian and Sabian / Pearl and Tama hardware.

11. Away From The World

Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano Kolling View Post
    Hi guys, would like the opinion of Reference snare players out there! I always wanted to have one, is like my dream snare, but the price always scared me! I have a Eric Singer and a Tico Torres snare which I really love and I believe they do the job very well! My point is , is the Reference snare a must have? Would it have such a difference in quality and sound? Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    Don't forget the Reference steel and brass series
    I have a 14x5 20-ply, a 14x5 brass, & a 14x5 steel. They are really nice snares but I bought them before the price increase. Out of the three, I play the brass model more often and the steel model the least. They have a large dynamic range, but they are still sensitive a lower volumes when finesse is required. I think I am going to swap them again tonight just for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Really nice instruments!
    I concur with these good sirs and their comments.

I too own the Eric Singer 14x6.5 and also the Ref 14x6.5 brass, and did own the Ref 14x5 20 ply snare. I let the 20 ply go when I sold my Ref kit, not because it was a bad snare, but because I decided I didn't need it with the other snares I had. I won't call it a one trick pony as some do, but the rest of my collection is more than adequate. It wasn't a choice between the 3 snares I have mentioned but if I had to choose to lose one the ES and RFB stay in my rack every day.

Good luck in your hunt!

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

12. Registered User

I'm looking into a brass or steel myself. I have the 20 Ply and it is my go to... Cutting, with a very nice crack. Sounds insane tuned high or low. I have played with snare wires and heads forever on it. 40 wires this thing was too sensitive and buzzy, but it's nice to know I can get it like that. I have used it on multiple albums and gigs.. I will never get rid of it.... Price is my issue as well or I'd own all 3, but I recommend the reference snare.

Be warned, the 20 ply, and steel/brass snares are heavy. lol