Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. I'll Fear no evil!!!

Default Reference Snare, a must have?

Hi guys, would like the opinion of Reference snare players out there! I always wanted to have one, is like my dream snare, but the price always scared me! I have a Eric Singer and a Tico Torres snare which I really love and I believe they do the job very well! My point is , is the Reference snare a must have? Would it have such a difference in quality and sound? Cheers

2. ...A mind like Water...

Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano Kolling View Post
    Hi guys, would like the opinion of Reference snare players out there! I always wanted to have one, is like my dream snare, but the price always scared me! I have a Eric Singer and a Tico Torres snare which I really love and I believe they do the job very well! My point is , is the Reference snare a must have? Would it have such a difference in quality and sound? Cheers
    There's two kinds .The 20ply monster and the Reference Pure thin shell snare.

The thin shell is more versatile, and not as cutting. The thick snare will cut through but also have a lot of a versatility going for it.

They are very pricey and gorgeous drums, but the Eric Singer and Tico are probably all you would EVER need.

Honestly, I would love one of those to go with my Ultracast.
    Owner of two gorgeous Pearl Masters kits. Metal drummer, music and drums for life!

3. life start at 125bpm

i have the 14X5.5 20 ply wood one in root beer fade finish, and it's a beauty ; and it's loud...very loud...and i wouldn't part ways with it, never. got mine when the pricing was still on the acceptable side of the spectrum..i would probably buy it again but would wait for a deal.

it has tone even cranked high....i use either the powerstroke X OR the genera dry...i like my snare to sound gun shot alike...it's definitely for me.
    Last edited by rollracer; 12-15-2017 at 04:20 PM.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

4. I'll Fear no evil!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Sentiment View Post
    There's two kinds .The 20ply monster and the Reference Pure thin shell snare.

The thin shell is more versatile, and not as cutting. The thick snare will cut through but also have a lot of a versatility going for it.

They are very pricey and gorgeous drums, but the Eric Singer and Tico are probably all you would EVER need.

Honestly, I would love one of those to go with my Ultracast.
    Thanks for the reply man! Forgot to mention that the 20 ply and Bell Brass are the ones I love! They don’t get out of my mind hahahah

5. I'll Fear no evil!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    i have the 14X5.5 wood one in root beer fade finish, and it's a beauty ; and it's loud...very loud...and i wouldn't part ways with it, never. got mine when the pricing was still on the acceptable side of the spectrum...but i would probably buy it again but would wait for a deal.

it has tone even cranked high....i use either the powerstroke X OR the genera dry...i like my snare to sound gun shot alike...it's definitely for me.
    Thanks dude! I am based in London and the Reference is so expensive here! Maybe waiting for a second hand could be a good idea!

6. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano Kolling View Post
    Thanks dude! I am based in London and the Reference is so expensive here! Maybe waiting for a second hand could be a good idea!
    they're somehow hard to come by in my neck of the wood...but watch regularly, you'll end up with the one you really want....i was myself considering the brass ref, but gosh thos are extra expensive....there's no deal to be made on the brass version under 7-800 cdn used.ugh!!
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

7. The Sensitone Guy

No; a Reference snare or any other high-end instrument is never a "must have." You can get just as much enjoyment and get just as good a sound off a gently used, pro-level snare with good heads and careful tuning. Half the fun of drumming, in my opinion, is to get your hands on some old work horse snare drum and bring it back to life.

8. Pearl Corporation USA

Don't forget the Reference steel and brass series
    Attached Images Attached Images   

KISS uses Gibson guitars and PEARL drums because they want the Best!

9. Purple Crazed

I have a 14x5 20-ply, a 14x5 brass, & a 14x5 steel. They are really nice snares but I bought them before the price increase. Out of the three, I play the brass model more often and the steel model the least. They have a large dynamic range, but they are still sensitive a lower volumes when finesse is required. I think I am going to swap them again tonight just for fun.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

10. Purple Crazed

So . . . I just retuned the steel model to a higher tuning (*using an Evans Torque Key) and ohhhhhhh wow!!! It sounds amazing! I think I am in love again.

Torque Key Settings: Top: 9; Bottom: 4

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

11. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    Don't forget the Reference steel and brass series
    i'm still on the watch for the 14X5.5 brass model. i still pinch myself for having left the 6.5 model past my noze for 350$ couple years ago for the only reason it was a 6.5 and i'm not into this size anymore!!! stupid me!!

i'd so like to have a brass unit ,while my 14X5.5 root beer fade gives me all i always wanted from such snare drum.

i love my ultracast and my reference ex-aequo,while my main is now my beloved ultracast because i'm not playing live anymore and the reference is really ear piercing in my small rehearsal space. but as soon as i'm getting back in live settings, no wonder the reference will be back at work.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

12. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    I have a 14x5 20-ply, a 14x5 brass, & a 14x5 steel. They are really nice snares but I bought them before the price increase. Out of the three, I play the brass model more often and the steel model the least. They have a large dynamic range, but they are still sensitive a lower volumes when finesse is required. I think I am going to swap them again tonight just for fun.
    Let me know if you ever decide to sell one of those