Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sundevil View Post
    Something similar happened with my order, in that the SR-300 strainer could not be integrated into a 13" snare drum. I opted to amend the order (to a 14" snare instead) and kept the SR-300. I do not remember this setting my delivery back 6 months but it definitely came up after the order was completed.
    Sundevil,

Yes, the butt plate screws on the SR-300 are unusually wide (and barely fit between the lugs on a 14" snare drum).

MM
    2020 Masterworks / Matte Black Mist

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 6.5x13 SD

2021 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / Bright Champagne Halo

16x16 KD (verticle), 5x10 SD, 5x8 TT, 5x12 TT

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    Amen. Sorry my post isn't very constructive but I totally sympathise with you. I am pretty gobsmacked to be honest. The MW program has been going for how long..? Pearl has been making snares for decades... this mistake is mental.
    MattKeaton,

Mistakes happen during production. Pearl isn't the only drum company that makes mistakes. Most MW orders don't end up with mistakes.

I think we should keep it in perspective.

MM
    2020 Masterworks / Matte Black Mist

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 6.5x13 SD

2021 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / Bright Champagne Halo

16x16 KD (verticle), 5x10 SD, 5x8 TT, 5x12 TT

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    MattKeaton,

Mistakes happen during production. Pearl isn't the only drum company that makes mistakes. Most MW orders don't end up with mistakes.

I think we should keep it in perspective.

MM
    Definitely need to keep things in perspective.
    Sure, when someone has certain expectations about something (and they are paying decent bucks), they want the order executed exactly as per the instructions, but there should always be a small amount of wiggle room. I was mildly disappointed that I had to bump up to 14" from 13" just because it threw off the symmetry of the snare/13" floor tom but I got over it in about 5 seconds. Maybe I just don't care enough?
    The excruciating minutiae that can overtake our orders can honestly be pretty hilarious

4. Registered User

MattKeaton, Mistakes happen during production. Pearl isn't the only drum company that makes mistakes. Most MW orders don't end up with mistakes. I think we should keep it in perspective. MM
    It's not the mistake I take exception to. If the order were placed and accepted and then, before production, the customer was alerted to the problem, I would whole heartedly agree with you and we would be on the same page.

To have this problem several months after the order being placed is, in my opinion, not reasonable.

If we agree to disagree on this that's totally fine
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

5. Chomp, Chomp

Sorry to hear about the issue with your snare drum. I can understand how you feel because I've placed numerous Masterworks orders over the years and occasionally there are issues the come up. Your request for an unusual combination of components increases the likelihood of unforeseen conflicts.

Others who seem to complain are those who are unreasonably picky about every detail of a complicated special request involving a lot of drums. The Masterworks program was designed for the purpose of giving us a variety of "choices" and not to guarantee perfection or that all of our expectations could be met on our terms. For every complaint, there are probably 100 other orders (like most of mine) that arrive on time and with no issues.

With that said ... you have to keep in mind that your one-off snare order is not a big deal in the bigger picture of Masterworks. It isn't reasonable to expect Pearl to interrupt busy production scheduling to produce another custom shell for you or to give away the other shell and hardware at a total loss. Why would they give you $300 of hardware a $150 shell at a 70% discount when they can just scrap the shell at wholesale and start over?

The best you can probably do in this situation is to ask to have your order escalated to "air" shipping which will get it to you a couple months sooner after it goes through the normal 3-4 month production process.

MM
    Victim blaming? It is not unreasonable to expect a company that is in the custom drum business to build a snare drum with their hardware and shells and get it right every time. Of course they should know the necessary shell depth for the few strainers they offer as well their lugs. This isnít rocket science. As for giving priority to an order that they screwed up seems appropriate to me.

Also, I donít think the OP was asking for a 70% discount. He was asking to buy the drum for 70% of its list price. I could be wrong, but I think he was asking for a 30% discount.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

6. Playing since 1976

Your request for an unusual combination of components increases the likelihood of unforeseen conflicts.... Others who seem to complain are those who are unreasonably picky about every detail of a complicated special request involving a lot of drums.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    Victim blaming?
    Absolutely. It's as if he thinks we can't read.

For every complaint, there are probably 100 other orders (like most of mine) that arrive on time and with no issues.
    Obviously, you have no proof of this... this information is complete and utter hokum.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    Amen. Sorry my post isn't very constructive but I totally sympathise with you. I am pretty gobsmacked to be honest. The MW program has been going for how long..? Pearl has been making snares for decades... this mistake is mental.
    I ordered a 2017 Maple Complete. When setting kit up one of the Tom rims was bent. Very bad very noticeable! Whoever put kit together just didn't care. Box it and ship it. Store got me a new one. But, very disappointing.

8. Registered User

Hey all,

Thanks for the outstanding responses. I feel a bit vindicated that I'm not overreacting now. I totally understand problems can occur, I'm just amazed there's no talk of reparations or even expedition. I've tried to answer the posts most pertinent below.

To those who are as shocked as I and have said so, thank you. I like Pearl's products and especially their hardware, and I don't wish to rant and rage about my poor experience, but I believe as customers we have two options: The first is to immediately cancel all dealings with the company and refuse them my patronage. As this is a relatively minor issue from what I expect to come, I feel this would be extreme, but it leads on to the second: Negative feedback. If enough people have issues and talk about it, perhaps it can get loud enough for the people in charge to hear and rectify the situation, and I suppose this is somewhat my aim. If there is a happy outcome of this saga I would certainly provide positive feedback. Mistakes happen, but it's the apparent 'care' a company has that can make all the difference.
    To those who say leave the drum, I can absolutely see your point of view, and honestly this experience has made me wary of going this route again. I had my sights on a series of three drums that I thought would offer great versatility across the styles and venues I play in and was working from most versatile to most specific. There are too many independent drum builders where I live for this to me not to look further into them. The SR-300 was the main reason for this route, but once I have it I may look elsewhere.

I've tried to answer the most pertinent points below. I've refrained from replying to conjecture for the reasons stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    This is not an answer you are looking for, but I'd say take advantage of this turn of events and go with an SR-1000 instead (assuming there are no hole spacing issues preventing that). It's the better choice, in my opinion.
    Not really sure why you'd recommend an SR-1000 as the SR-300 is completely different in every way. The Sr-500 was recommended by Pearl but still didn't offer the flexibility I desire, so this part basically makes or breaks the drum.

The Masterworks program was designed for the purpose of giving us a variety of "choices" and not to guarantee perfection or that all of our expectations could be met on our terms. For every complaint, there are probably 100 other orders (like most of mine) that arrive on time and with no issues.
    This is all well and good, but what makes or breaks a company image is not how many times something goes right, but what they do when something goes wrong. Obviously one voice of displeasure to such an enormous entity will be as nothing to Pearl, but I think it's important to shine a light on what I consider a poor business practice.

With that said .../...It isn't reasonable to expect Pearl to interrupt busy production scheduling to produce another custom shell for you or to give away the other shell and hardware at a total loss.
    I can't really agree with you here. I think it is reasonable to expect any shopfront to expedite any order that was delayed by their error. If I order a couch and it comes late the price is reduced in reparations. If Pearl had dropped/mispainted/otherwise rendered an instrument unusable in another more accidental way I would expect similar practice. As I said, I don't know how long it takes to make a drum, but I cannot believe there is no procedure for 'emergency' orders or requirements, and I have to register shock that no amendment was attempted.

Why would they give you $300 of hardware a $150 shell at a 70% discount when they can just scrap the shell at wholesale and start over?
    I meant 30% discount to pay 70% cost. I figured that as I would need to place another full-size order in I'd be paying a total of 170% expected cost but for 2 drums. As this is a custom Masterworks I can't see them selling the shell, so instead of destroying it I thought this a good compromise.

The best you can probably do in this situation is to ask to have your order escalated to "air" shipping which will get it to you a couple months sooner after it goes through the normal 3-4 month production process.

MM
    This is a great idea and I will definitely ask. I hadn't thought of this, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RicEd77 View Post
    I ordered a 2017 Maple Complete. When setting kit up one of the Tom rims was bent. Very bad very noticeable! Whoever put kit together just didn't care. Box it and ship it. Store got me a new one. But, very disappointing.
    This comes back to that 'care' idea, doesn't it? I'd be shattered if something like that happened to my order. I just ordered a Reference Pure in Wine Red with Gold hardware and if any part had been less than perfect I'd have despaired. Thankfully I can say my order was in perfect condition and arrived in exceptional time!

9. life start at 125bpm

as someone said in an earlier post, get the sr-1000 throw off if the holes spacing allows it. best throw on the market off imo.

as for the masterwork ideology, masterwork offers endeless possibilities. mistakes in the completion of a given order has to be put on the people reading the order,and then people who are building the order....then,QC should kick in to make sure the order is completed as asked by the customer...if some mistakes happens ,this is the human factor and QC is there to catch the mistakes before the drum set is boxed for the delivery.

the masterwork series should rely on a perfect communication between the sales department, the factory, and the the quality control branch. with such customizeable series , it is crucial to avoid such mistakes,then unhappy customers.
    Last edited by rollracer; 12-15-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

10. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    as someone said in an earlier post, get the sr-1000 throw off if the holes spacing allows it. best throw on the market off imo.

as for the masterwork ideology, masterwork offers endeless possibilities. mistakes in the completion of a given order has to be put on the people reading the order,and then people who are building the order....then,QC should kick in to make sure the order is completed as asked by the customer...if some mistakes happens ,this is the human factor and QC is there to catch the mistakes before the drum set is boxed for the delivery.

the masterwork series should rely on a perfect communication between the sales department, the factory, and the the quality control branch. with such customizeable series , it is crucial to avoid such mistakes,then unhappy customers.
    Nelson, As you know I enjoy my Pearl Drums and hardware. Having grown up with Slingerland and Ludwig drums from the 60’s, I really appreciate the quality of my Pearl MCX drums and all of my Pearl hardware. It’s light years ahead of what I grew up with. Unfortunately, that has nothing to do with the numerous problems that I have read about over the years concerning MW orders. Music Man’s sets are gorgeous and I’m glad his orders arrived without any problems. That’s how it’s supposed to happen.
    I have always enjoyed Music Man’s posts and comments, but I have to say that he lost a lot of credibility with his posts in this thread. Victim blaming in this day and age doesn’t fly any more. Also, the comment that other drum companies make mistakes too, sounds like something I used to hear from my middle school students when they got caught doing something wrong. The fact that other companies make mistakes has zero to do with Pearl’s Masterworks program. Also, his inability to understand that the customer was only asking for a 30% discount, which I think is very reasonable, considering that most of us in the US are accustom to a 50% discount and that he was willing to order another snare at full price.
    Drums have very few parts and Pearl only uses their own components to build MW Drums. It is their responsibility to know what strainers and lugs will fit on any given shell that they produce. I do understand that mistakes do happen. It’s how Pearl handles the mistakes that is most troubling to me. If the mistake was because of something that the customer did, I can understand being placed on the bottom of the list for a remake. But, if the mistake was Pearl’s fault, their attitude that the order still goes to the bottom of the list is not the way business should be conducted. Pearl needs to build time into their production process to allow for remakes. Many doctors leave a few appointment gaps in their daily schedule to allow for emergencies. It all boils down to whether a company is willing to place principle above profits.
    I think we can all agree that D4L went over every detail when having his two MW kits built and yet they came through with errors, including major ones like the wrong bearing edges on his floor toms on his first kit and the wrong BD hoops on his second. Not only did mistakes happen, but they made it past QC. Considering what Pearl charges for MW Drums and the 6 month waiting period, there shouldn’t be any mistakes and if one does happen it is Pearl’s responsibility to rectify it as quickly as possible with as little inconvenience to the customer as possible. If the mistakes are truly as few as Music Man says, Pearl should have no problem placing those orders on the top of the list as a small number of remakes should not cause any disruption in Pearl’s production schedule.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

11. life start at 125bpm

^^^^^

i still think the root of the problems regarding wronging a specific order lie with the factory's employees. and i'm sure QC is aware of those ''mistakes''' done by the factory,and again i'm sure the good,very good people at pearl HQ in nashville aren't warned that some errors were done on an X masterwork order, and i'm again convinced the taiwan factory isn't afraid of the consequences related to shipping an order showing some discrepancy with the original order ; imagine what the HQ has to live with then.....it's the customer service who has to support the odious !!!

it takes 6 long months to build and ship a masterwork order from the moment the order is placed at the store. we're talking about some weakeness in the communication departement. i'm 100% convinced.

that means that there's also a miss in the QC at the factory...from the moment they start to produce the shells, some control should kick in to make sure the number of plies, the material used,and the bearing edges are in concordance with the order . same control should be applied for the finish and hardware part of the kit's construction. there's a weak link somewhere in the chain, but again the human factor should be surrounded by the QC at the factory.. the pearl HQ and its customer service are completely amazing and customer oriented people,but the od is they have to live with how the factory is doing things.

as for placing the customer at the forefront of their priorities, i completely agree that in this specific case, well.......i even don't understand why pearl hasn't responded positively to his offer-demand. it doesn't stick with the super service we are used to see with pearl...
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

12. Playing since 1976

it takes 6 long months to build and ship a masterwork order from the moment the order is placed at the store. we're talking about some weakeness in the communication departement. i'm 100% convinced.
    Sometimes less than 6 months, but most of the time longer. Remember, just because someone places an order at their favorite Pearl dealer, it's not actually an order until confirmed by PMI and Pearl USA. That can be weeks or even months (especially if the customer is looking for a custom finish) after the customer places an order with the dealer.

as for placing the customer at the forefront of their priorities, i completely agree that in this specific case, well.......i even don't understand why pearl hasn't responded positively to his offer-demand. it doesn't stick with the super service we are used to see with pearl...
    Al and Pearl USA have always attempted to remedy customer service issues ASAP, however there is only so much they can do. With respect to Masterworks drums, there is very little Pearl USA can (or will) do to fix a problem with a Masterworks drum, mainly because they had nothing to do with the creation of the instrument. If there is a hardware problem, and they have the parts in stock, Pearl USA would quickly ship the parts directly to the customer. However, if there is a problem with the shell (finish, edges, dimensions, etc.), we are all at the mercy of the Taiwan factory and logistical restraints; this is the root of the issue.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE