Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 37 to 44 of 44
  1. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Quick,

    I understand what you're saying, but that isn't how things work in a production environment involving worldwide distribution. If someone expects this kind of service on a special order, then he should buy from a small US company that might have the extra time to accommodate it. There are plenty of them around; no point in holding a grudge against Pearl.

    Some of the people complaining here will be finding things wrong with their DW and Tama special orders soon enough ...

    MM
    I respectfully disagree. I am not talking about a special order on one of Pearl’s regular production offerings. I am exclusively talking about Masterworks, where every order is not only a special order, but also a different order as well. I wouldn’t expect Pearl to stop production of hundreds of Masters kits to redo one drum. But Masterworks is different and redoing one snare drum should not be a problem.
    I do understand production deadlines and that stores depend upon merchandise being in their possession, especially for Christmas season. These deadlines don’t exist in the MW line. Again, if the problems are few, this should not be a problem.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

    Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sciriez View Post
    I ordered a 14X5" snare with an SR-300 throwoff in August. It wasn't until the drum was built that it was made apparent that this combination interferes with itself.
    I hate to add an additional level of frustration to this, but the SR-300 strainer works just fine on a 14x5 snare. Tolerances are probably a bit tighter than Pearl would prefer, but it fits, it operates, it offers plenty of room to tighten the heads. What more do you need?

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    4,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    What more do you need?

    Agreement from Pearl, I'd imagine.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    I hate to add an additional level of frustration to this, but the SR-300 strainer works just fine on a 14x5 snare. Tolerances are probably a bit tighter than Pearl would prefer, but it fits, it operates, it offers plenty of room to tighten the heads. What more do you need?
    This does kinda steam me a bit, but I'll trust Pearl on what's acceptable here. Perhaps Die-Cast hoops introduce further complications, I don't know. I do know that they built the drum and started tuning it when they realised the problem, so I just have to trust them. I'm really hoping a further .5" doesn't change the tone *too* much - really hoping for a short, dry sound from this drum - but I can't imagine a 10% difference will be insurmountable. Heads can do wonders.

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    I hate to add an additional level of frustration to this, but the SR-300 strainer works just fine on a 14x5 snare. Tolerances are probably a bit tighter than Pearl would prefer, but it fits, it operates, it offers plenty of room to tighten the heads. What more do you need?
    Tommy,

    I agree. I've ordered Masterworks snare drums where Pearl was reluctant to use certain parts but they ended up working fine. I was just careful to make sure ahead of time that the tolerances were there.

    I recently ordered a Masterworks 10x4 auxiliary snare drum with an SR-1000 strainer (contrary to Pearl standards) and it fits fine.

    MM
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sciriez View Post
    This does kinda steam me a bit, but I'll trust Pearl on what's acceptable here. Perhaps Die-Cast hoops introduce further complications, I don't know. I do know that they built the drum and started tuning it when they realised the problem, so I just have to trust them. I'm really hoping a further .5" doesn't change the tone *too* much - really hoping for a short, dry sound from this drum - but I can't imagine a 10% difference will be insurmountable. Heads can do wonders.
    I'm guessing Pearl used their standard offset from the Reso side edge and drilled the strainer for that location. Upon installing the batter head, they ran in to problems. In order to make sure the strainer would fit on my 14x5, I had to assemble the drum, put heads on it, tune it up, then mark the location for the SR-300, then disassemble the drum and drill for the strainer. As you can see, I have a bit more space on the reso side to account for more stretch in the snare side head over time, and the batter side has about 1/4" of space to go for tightening. Right now, the batter side is at a medium tension. I could have lowered the entire strainer by ~1/4" and used a Remo "no-collar" snare side head, but I wanted it to work with regular heads too.


  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    I'm guessing Pearl used their standard offset from the Reso side edge and drilled the strainer for that location. Upon installing the batter head, they ran in to problems. In order to make sure the strainer would fit on my 14x5, I had to assemble the drum, put heads on it, tune it up, then mark the location for the SR-300, then disassemble the drum and drill for the strainer. As you can see, I have a bit more space on the reso side to account for more stretch in the snare side head over time, and the batter side has about 1/4" of space to go for tightening. Right now, the batter side is at a medium tension. I could have lowered the entire strainer by ~1/4" and used a Remo "no-collar" snare side head, but I wanted it to work with regular heads too.
    Good work!

    I'm currently making a Masterworks 15x13 "baritone snare" and a Masterworks 8x6 5-lug mini snare.

    I'll have to do the drilling for the placement of the strainers on both of these drums, as well as the bottom Fat Tone hoops. I ordered the shells with as much of the specs as I could get from Masterworks but I have to do the custom drilling myself.

    MM
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

  8. Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sciriez View Post
    what makes or breaks a company image is not how many times something goes right, but what they do when something goes wrong.
    Words worth their weight in gold.
    This is the ultimate test of character: whether on a personal level or in the context of business culture.

    I am interested to know the outcome of your issue.

    Hope everything worked out for the best for you.
    LOOKING FOR PEARL VISION VX 14" & 16" FLOOR TOMS; AND 20" BASS DRUM IN JET BLACK (older edition)
    Inbox me if you want to sell yours or know someone who wants to sell theirs. Thanks.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •