Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Masterworks Snare Setback - Looking for Thoughts/Opinions!

So this is a bit of a grouchy post, and I may be overreacting, but I've been a little disappointed with a development in my Masterworks Snare order.

I ordered a 14X5" snare with an SR-300 throwoff in August. It wasn't until the drum was built that it was made apparent that this combination interferes with itself. At this point I had two options: Have the drum rebuilt to a 5.5" depth and wait another 6 months for delivery or move ahead with a different, vastly less flexible throwoff.

Now, I may be overreacting to this situation, but to have a shop make a mistake that either results in a significantly different instrument or another 6 month wait is really disappointing. I totally get that with the sheer amount of Masterworks options there will be potential for issues, but I've been disappointed that there was no offer of a deal for a drum not quite to spec or apparent rush for a new one.

I offered to take the drum with the alternate hardware for 70% original price with a new order for the 5.5" drum, which would mean I'd have my full kit ready in the new year (I also ordered a Pearl Reference Pure kit with this Snare) and give me time to save for the next drum as a compromise, but this wasn't accepted. I don't know how long it takes to build a drum, but a 6 month wait on what I would think would be a priority run seems, well, not a priority.

What would you guys do? Am I overreacting/expecting more from a store than I should? At the moment I'm of the mindset that I'm not going to pay for a drum that doesn't meet my specifications, so just wait, but that is a pain. 10 months for a drum is hard to swallow.

Cheers, all!

2. The Sensitone Guy

If I were in this situation, I'd politely bow out of the entire deal and simply buy and off-the-shelf snare drum. I understand the allure of "custom" drums but if your custom, once-in-a-lifetime snare drum becomes a hassle, it takes all the fun out of it. Much of the custom buying experience isn't about the drum, but instead; the experience. If you do end up getting this drum, every time you look at it you'll be reminded of the mess you had to go through to get it.

There are many, many, orphaned snare drums on Ebay - many of them brand new. Go get yourself one of them and stop torturing yourself.

3. Playing since 1976

This is [only] one of the reasons I don't use the Masterworks program any longer. By the time they get an order correct, if that ever happens, personnel changes, and you're an older person.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

4. Experienced Noob

This is not an answer you are looking for, but I'd say take advantage of this turn of events and go with an SR-1000 instead (assuming there are no hole spacing issues preventing that). It's the better choice, in my opinion.

5. Chomp, Chomp

I really enjoy my Pearl MCX drums. I think their regular production line drums are high quality at each price point. That said, I have also read about too many errrors in their MW line. There is no excuse for them not knowing that the SR300 strainer requires a shell depth of at least 5.5”. It isn’t like there are 20 throw offs available. There aren’t that many parts on a snare drum. It’s Pearl’s job to know the minimum shell depth required for their lugs and throws. It really isn’t that complicated.
    I fully understand the desire to have a custom matching snare, but at what expense? I never understood Pearl’s business practice of not expediting an order that was their mistake.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sciriez View Post
    What would you guys do? Am I overreacting/expecting more from a store than I should? At the moment I'm of the mindset that I'm not going to pay for a drum that doesn't meet my specifications, so just wait, but that is a pain. 10 months for a drum is hard to swallow.

Cheers, all!
    Sorry to hear about the issue with your snare drum. I can understand how you feel because I've placed numerous Masterworks orders over the years and occasionally there are issues the come up. Your request for an unusual combination of components increases the likelihood of unforeseen conflicts.

Others who seem to complain are those who are unreasonably picky about every detail of a complicated special request involving a lot of drums. The Masterworks program was designed for the purpose of giving us a variety of "choices" and not to guarantee perfection or that all of our expectations could be met on our terms. For every complaint, there are probably 100 other orders (like most of mine) that arrive on time and with no issues.

With that said ... you have to keep in mind that your one-off snare order is not a big deal in the bigger picture of Masterworks. It isn't reasonable to expect Pearl to interrupt busy production scheduling to produce another custom shell for you or to give away the other shell and hardware at a total loss. Why would they give you $300 of hardware a $150 shell at a 70% discount when they can just scrap the shell at wholesale and start over?

The best you can probably do in this situation is to ask to have your order escalated to "air" shipping which will get it to you a couple months sooner after it goes through the normal 3-4 month production process.

MM
    Last edited by MusicMan; 12-15-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

7. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    This is not an answer you are looking for, but I'd say take advantage of this turn of events and go with an SR-1000 instead (assuming there are no hole spacing issues preventing that). It's the better choice, in my opinion.
    I don't believe the SR-300 and SR-1000 strainers have the same hole patterns. When I ordered the SR-300 on one of my old Masterworks snares, I remember thinking, "once I go with this, there's no changing to a different strainer".

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Your request for an unusual combination of components increases the likelihood of unforeseen conflicts.
    The manufacturer should know all of it's parts and tolerances immediately, and needs to accurately communicate this to Pearl USA, then to the dealer... no excuses. If they can't, they should offer custom drums.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

8. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Sorry to hear about the issue with your snare drum. I can understand how you feel because I've placed numerous Masterworks orders over the years and occasionally there are issues the come up. Your request for an unusual combination of components increases the likelihood of unforeseen conflicts.

Others who seem to complain are those who are unreasonably picky about every detail of a complicated special request involving a lot of drums. The Masterworks program was designed for the purpose of giving us a variety of "choices" and not to guarantee perfection or that all of our expectations could be met on our terms. For every complaint, there are probably 100 other orders (like most of mine) that arrive on time and with no issues.

With that said ... you have to keep in mind that your one-off snare order is not a big deal in the bigger picture of Masterworks. It isn't reasonable to expect Pearl to interrupt busy production scheduling to produce another custom shell for you or to give away the other shell and hardware at a total loss. Why would they give you $300 of hardware a $150 shell at a 70% discount when they can just scrap the shell at wholesale and start over?

The best you can probably do in this situation is to ask to have your order escalated to "air" shipping which will get it to you a couple months sooner after it goes through the normal 3-4 month production process.

MM
    Dear Pearl,

Hire this member for your PR department.

Sincerely,

Feenix

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Dear Pearl,

Hire this member for your PR department.

Sincerely,

Feenix
    Pearl already treats me really well. I don't expect perfection
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

10. Registered User

Something similar happened with my order, in that the SR-300 strainer could not be integrated into a 13" snare drum. I opted to amend the order (to a 14" snare instead) and kept the SR-300. I do not remember this setting my delivery back 6 months but it definitely came up after the order was completed.

11. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by sundevil View Post
    Something similar happened with my order, in that the SR-300 strainer could not be integrated into a 13" snare drum. I opted to amend the order (to a 14" snare instead) and kept the SR-300. I do not remember this setting my delivery back 6 months but it definitely came up after the order was completed.
    Either the holes are already drilled in the shell, or the shell is already made. This happened to me where the factory said they could make a drum with specific hardware, then later realized they couldn't, made the drum anyway, and used different hardware without telling me. Once I found out, my options were to keep the drum the way it is, or wait 4-6 months for new drum the way I wanted... then more life passes you by.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I think their regular production line drums are high quality at each price point. That said, I have also read about too many errrors in their MW line. There is no excuse for them not knowing that the SR300 strainer requires a shell depth of at least 5.5”. It isn’t like there are 20 throw offs available. There aren’t that many parts on a snare drum. It’s Pearl’s job to know the minimum shell depth required for their lugs and throws. It really isn’t that complicated.
    Amen. Sorry my post isn't very constructive but I totally sympathise with you. I am pretty gobsmacked to be honest. The MW program has been going for how long..? Pearl has been making snares for decades... this mistake is mental.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN