Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Quick,

I understand what you're saying, but that isn't how things work in a production environment involving worldwide distribution. If someone expects this kind of service on a special order, then he should buy from a small US company that might have the extra time to accommodate it. There are plenty of them around; no point in holding a grudge against Pearl.

Some of the people complaining here will be finding things wrong with their DW and Tama special orders soon enough ...

MM
    I respectfully disagree. I am not talking about a special order on one of Pearl’s regular production offerings. I am exclusively talking about Masterworks, where every order is not only a special order, but also a different order as well. I wouldn’t expect Pearl to stop production of hundreds of Masters kits to redo one drum. But Masterworks is different and redoing one snare drum should not be a problem.
    I do understand production deadlines and that stores depend upon merchandise being in their possession, especially for Christmas season. These deadlines don’t exist in the MW line. Again, if the problems are few, this should not be a problem.
    Drumming since 1961.
    MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Paiste Cymbals

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sciriez View Post
    I ordered a 14X5" snare with an SR-300 throwoff in August. It wasn't until the drum was built that it was made apparent that this combination interferes with itself.
    I hate to add an additional level of frustration to this, but the SR-300 strainer works just fine on a 14x5 snare. Tolerances are probably a bit tighter than Pearl would prefer, but it fits, it operates, it offers plenty of room to tighten the heads. What more do you need?

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    What more do you need?

Agreement from Pearl, I'd imagine.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

4. Registered User

I hate to add an additional level of frustration to this, but the SR-300 strainer works just fine on a 14x5 snare. Tolerances are probably a bit tighter than Pearl would prefer, but it fits, it operates, it offers plenty of room to tighten the heads. What more do you need?
    This does kinda steam me a bit, but I'll trust Pearl on what's acceptable here. Perhaps Die-Cast hoops introduce further complications, I don't know. I do know that they built the drum and started tuning it when they realised the problem, so I just have to trust them. I'm really hoping a further .5" doesn't change the tone *too* much - really hoping for a short, dry sound from this drum - but I can't imagine a 10% difference will be insurmountable. Heads can do wonders.

5. Registered User

Tommy,

I agree. I've ordered Masterworks snare drums where Pearl was reluctant to use certain parts but they ended up working fine. I was just careful to make sure ahead of time that the tolerances were there.

I recently ordered a Masterworks 10x4 auxiliary snare drum with an SR-1000 strainer (contrary to Pearl standards) and it fits fine.

MM
    2016 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5.5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sciriez View Post
    This does kinda steam me a bit, but I'll trust Pearl on what's acceptable here. Perhaps Die-Cast hoops introduce further complications, I don't know. I do know that they built the drum and started tuning it when they realised the problem, so I just have to trust them. I'm really hoping a further .5" doesn't change the tone *too* much - really hoping for a short, dry sound from this drum - but I can't imagine a 10% difference will be insurmountable. Heads can do wonders.
    I'm guessing Pearl used their standard offset from the Reso side edge and drilled the strainer for that location. Upon installing the batter head, they ran in to problems. In order to make sure the strainer would fit on my 14x5, I had to assemble the drum, put heads on it, tune it up, then mark the location for the SR-300, then disassemble the drum and drill for the strainer. As you can see, I have a bit more space on the reso side to account for more stretch in the snare side head over time, and the batter side has about 1/4" of space to go for tightening. Right now, the batter side is at a medium tension. I could have lowered the entire strainer by ~1/4" and used a Remo "no-collar" snare side head, but I wanted it to work with regular heads too.

7. Registered User

I'm guessing Pearl used their standard offset from the Reso side edge and drilled the strainer for that location. Upon installing the batter head, they ran in to problems. In order to make sure the strainer would fit on my 14x5, I had to assemble the drum, put heads on it, tune it up, then mark the location for the SR-300, then disassemble the drum and drill for the strainer. As you can see, I have a bit more space on the reso side to account for more stretch in the snare side head over time, and the batter side has about 1/4" of space to go for tightening. Right now, the batter side is at a medium tension. I could have lowered the entire strainer by ~1/4" and used a Remo "no-collar" snare side head, but I wanted it to work with regular heads too.
    Good work!

I'm currently making a Masterworks 15x13 "baritone snare" and a Masterworks 8x6 5-lug mini snare.

I'll have to do the drilling for the placement of the strainers on both of these drums, as well as the bottom Fat Tone hoops. I ordered the shells with as much of the specs as I could get from Masterworks but I have to do the custom drilling myself.

MM
    2016 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5.5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT