Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousRJD View Post
    Maybe I invented a term . Was just trying to point out that I don't put a lot of key to it. Once I do initial finger tightening, I press down at each lug point and tighten again with just my fingers. With usually just a bit more with the key I can usually get the shell resonating pretty well. I don't tune to a note so I tune until I feel the drum kind of sings, and I find this to be a point that isn't very tight....especially on floor toms. Tuning always been a bit of a mystery so I like to play around a lot with it.

And yes, between the lighting, the tight space and the outdated camera phone my photos suck
    It is called JAW tuning. Just above wrinkle.

2. Playing since 1976

I will say there is something unsettling looking through the clear heads and seeing different woods. Moving from the 12" all maple light interior to the black hole of the 14" mahogany feels off aesthetically
    It is... all the more reason to get a second floor tom (or at least a 13" tom, because that will have the mahogany interior). If I ever got a Reference/Reference Pure kit, it would have 13/16f/18f/22, so all the interiors would be mahogany.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. The Sensitone Guy

Maybe I invented a term . Was just trying to point out that I don't put a lot of key to it. Once I do initial finger tightening, I press down at each lug point and tighten again with just my fingers. With usually just a bit more with the key I can usually get the shell resonating pretty well. I don't tune to a note so I tune until I feel the drum kind of sings, and I find this to be a point that isn't very tight....especially on floor toms. Tuning always been a bit of a mystery so I like to play around a lot with it.

And yes, between the lighting, the tight space and the outdated camera phone my photos suck
    Well, you might be a lousy photographer but you sure know how to pick out drums! As for this "hand-tuning" concept, what do you say we just share the copyright and all the millions of dollars in royalties!

I have a lot of fun with tuning. I can literally spend hours dinking around with my drums trying different tunings, heads and configurations. I don't like to brag but... OK I do like to brag... I can almost get my entire kit tuned just by feel, without even a single tap or a drum tuner. (almost)

Thanks for posting your kit on this forum. Hang around and don't be a stranger.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    It is called JAW tuning. Just above wrinkle.
    this ^

5. Thwunk

aw yeah!!!
    everything about this is awesome. good sizes and you should get plenty of low end from the floor tom with careful tuning. my 16x16 has almost too much boom in some situations. congrats

edit: LOVING the Bosphorus goodness too
    HHX hats, K crashes, K & Bosphorus rides
    Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 5.5x14 / Ludwig Black Beauty 5x14, COB Supraphonic 6.5x14, Acrolite 5x14 / Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition / Sonor D505
    Pearl Reference Pure (matte walnut) / Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute (plum lacquer)

6. A Passion Play ...

Reference Pure = Amazing Drum Kit. Would love to see those in outdoor light.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

7. Registered User

Beautiful kit!!! Congrats and enjoy!