Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 75 of 131 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125 ... LastLast
  1. Rogue Ex-Mod

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    This. And let’s not forget the cheesy band called Damn Yankees that he was a part of in which he made fun of DDY every night from stage as if they were Slayer, AC/DC, and GNR.
    I'm a huge fan of Ted Nugent (music only, not the person) but I won't ever try and defend Damn Yankees. It was a cheesy 80s pop hair project that was the perfect example of why it was time for the 80s music trends to end. They're fine for what they are but they're the last band on earth who should be judging anybody for their cheese factor.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

2. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by David Hollywood View Post
    It was a cheesy 80s pop hair project that was the perfect example of why it was time for the 80s music trends to end. They're fine for what they are but they're the last band on earth who should be judging anybody for their cheese factor.
    Exactly.

3. Registered User

I was there to witness the train wreck and also get the context of what Young and Shaw are getting at. Back when Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight came out, they still maintained a prog rock vibe. They were still very much a 70s arena rock band. Once they had a #1 single, there was a push from the label to go a more commercial direction and also from the "genius" in the band to call the shots. After all, he wrote the hit. The next album is #1, so that solidifies his power.

It's 1983. AC/DC and Van Halen are doing three nights in major cities. Priest, Maiden, Def Lep and Scorpions are playing arenas. On the pop side, Thriller was the #1 album for 38 weeks straight.. Styx releases Kilroy was here. The rest is history.

4. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Bri6366 View Post
    I was there to witness the train wreck and also get the context of what Young and Shaw are getting at. Back when Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight came out, they still maintained a prog rock vibe. They were still very much a 70s arena rock band. Once they had a #1 single, there was a push from the label to go a more commercial direction and also from the "genius" in the band to call the shots. After all, he wrote the hit. The next album is #1, so that solidifies his power.

It's 1983. AC/DC and Van Halen are doing three nights in major cities. Priest, Maiden, Def Lep and Scorpions are playing arenas. On the pop side, Thriller was the #1 album for 38 weeks straight.. Styx releases Kilroy was here. The rest is history.
    Universal crowd reaction:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Universal crowd reaction:
    My reaction most definitely. Actually I wasn't yet born. But I have a strong dislike for AC/DC.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

6. Registered User

DD contributed the most amount of cheese. He did, however, also contribute to every member being able to send their grandchildren to college with the hits he wrote. “Lady”, “Babe”, “Come Sail Away”, etc allowed Styx financial freedom that many other bands couldn’t achieve. So it’s a tad disingenuous for JY and Tommy to ***** about DD. Did he hold a gun to their heads to record those songs? Don’t think they complained when their accountants cashed the publishing royalty checks.
    Well, Styx were making a great living and selling out arenas before the cheesy "hits" were released. It's easy for us to comment about things, but when someone is extremely controlling and hard to deal with we really don't know how bad it was. Styx is still together and sounding good so that says something about the rest of the band getting along without De Young. As far as JY and Tommy Shaw saying a few things about De Young, maybe he deserved it, who knows.

7. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    Well, Styx were making a great living and selling out arenas before the cheesy "hits" were released. It's easy for us to comment about things, but when someone is extremely controlling and hard to deal with we really don't know how bad it was. Styx is still together and sounding good so that says something about the rest of the band getting along without De Young. As far as JY and Tommy Shaw saying a few things about De Young, maybe he deserved it, who knows.
    DD ALWAYS came across as prancing and cheesy but I dug it because Styx rocked. As time went on and the ballads hit, his overarching control of the band came to the fore and a LOT of folks checked out, myself included.
    I think they did the right thing moving on. LG is doing a great job and they’re making bank out there.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Registered User

DD ALWAYS came across as prancing and cheesy but I dug it because Styx rocked. As time went on and the ballads hit, his overarching control of the band came to the fore and a LOT of folks checked out, myself included.
    I think they did the right thing moving on. LG is doing a great job and they’re making bank out there.
    Yes, all true. I only saw Styx one time back then and it was because a friend wanted me to go! It was in February 1980.

9. Drumming Since 1943

Yes, all true. I only saw Styx one time back then and it was because a friend wanted me to go! It was in February 1980.
    Jesus. I was 9 in '80.
    Way Too Much Crap

10. Registered User

Jesus. I was 9 in '80.
    Don't remind me! My first concert was The James Gang in Nov. 1972. Joe Walsh had just left the band. Believe it or not, I have kept a running list of every show that I have been to. I think there are about 150 or so up to now. Saw some great ones!Name:  10968442_783563391722327_7844350426894971125_n.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  76.0 KB

11. Drumming Since 1943

Don't remind me! My first concert was The James Gang in Nov. 1972. Joe Walsh had just left the band. Believe it or not, I have kept a running list of every show that I have been to. I think there are about 150 or so up to now. Saw some great ones!Name:  10968442_783563391722327_7844350426894971125_n.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  76.0 KB
    Holy hell- I was 10 months old in Nov. '72.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. Registered User

Holy hell- I was 10 months old in Nov. '72.
    Precisely, that is why I saw all the greats!