Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 133 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
  1. Vintage 1968

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    And I bet he still had guys lining up for the gig. Who got hammered were unknown artists who wanted to play with David Bowie’s drummer.

Note Sarzo did not bash Sharon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri6366 View Post
    ^And TA actually came back to finish out the Bark at the Moon tour after Carmine Appice was let go.
    Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Rudy actually praised both Ozzy and Sharon.
    I noticed that too, that Rudy was complementary of both Ozzy and Sharon. I actually don't remember the last time I've heard Rudy say anything negative about anybody.
    I wonder if Tommy was looking at the Bark At The Moon tour as a temporary gig, as opposed to being part of the band. Filling in to help out on the tour.
    Random obscure cool group from my youth:

2. a.k.a. YtseJam

I laughed out loud when Greg Upchurch said "Well, I'm painting your [email protected] house" to Matt Sorum.

3. Vintage 1968

Quote Originally Posted by hipodilski View Post
    I laughed out loud when Greg Upchurch said "Well, I'm painting your [email protected] house" to Matt Sorum.
    I have to admit, I did, too!

4. Vintage 1968

RIOT V: Video Report From Athens Listening Party For New Album
    Name:  riotvbandsept2017_638.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  44.0 KB

Rockpages TV has uploaded a video report on the recent listening party for the new RIOT V album, which was held in Athens, Greece. Check it out below.

RIOT V is the band featuring members of legendary metal pioneers RIOT. The group's follow-up to 2014's "Unleash The Fire" album is scheduled for a spring 2018 release via Nuclear Blast. Production duties were handled by Chris "The Wizard" Collier (METAL CHURCH, FLOTSAM AND JETSAM, SLIPKNOT, KORN). The new songs promise to please fans of the "Thundersteel" era of RIOT, as longtime Mark Reale music collaborator Don Van Stavern undertook a lot of the writing, as he did on "Thundersteel", "The Privilege Of Power" and "Unleash The Fire".

Don Van Stavern said: "This next offering will please longtime fans and create new ones, as the material is fresh and power metal at its finest."

Hardly any other metal act has such a long and absorbing history behind it. Since the quintet formed in 1975, they have been hit by several severe strokes of fate during their long career. Three deceased members — Rhett Forester (R.I.P. 1994), Guy Speranza (R.I.P. 2003) and Mark Reale (R.I.P. 2012) — have left their mark on the four decades of RIOT's band history.

Since their legendary debut album, "Rock City" (1977), RIOT has released numerous heavy metal classics, including "Fire Down Under" (with classics like "Swords And Tequila"), their masterpiece "Thundersteel" (1988) and the unforgotten "The Privilege Of Power" (1990).

After the death of Mark Reale and the departure of Tony Moore, Todd Michael Hall (from Michigan), completed the lineup of RIOT, which changed its name to RIOT V and moved forward under the auspices of the two long-term members and main songwriters Donnie van Stavern (bass) and Mike Flyntz (guitar). With the critically acclaimed "Unleash The Fire" (2014), a pure power metal jewel once again underlined the musical importance and influence of the quintet.

Many artists name-check RIOT as an important influence of their musical career and have paid tribute to the power metal godfathers on multiple occasions. The list is long and includes several well-known acts such as HAMMERFALL ("Flight Of The Warrior"), Luca Turilli's RHAPSODY ("Thundersteel"), AXEL RUDI PELL ("Warrior") and newcomers such as NIGHT DEMON ("Road Racin'"), ALPHA TIGER ("Flight Of The Warrior"), SAVAGE MASTER ("Swords And Tequila") and STALLION ("Rock City").

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rio...Cxb7yCPDKb1.99

5. Vintage 1968

LITA FORD Says 'The Decline Of Western Civilization' Pool Scene 'Destroyed' CHRIS HOLMES's Career

Name:  litafordjuly2016_638.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  27.2 KB

Lita Ford says that the infamous scene in "The Decline Of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years" movie in which then-W.A.S.P. guitarist Chris Holmes can be seen guzzling vodka in his pool "destroyed his career."

Holmes became legendary for the scene in the 1988 movie in which he was interviewed while floating in a swimming pool, fully clothed and visibly quite intoxicated while his mother sat poolside. The interview stood out in stark contrast to the more light-hearted and humorous interviews conducted by director Penelope Spheeris, which mostly portrayed rockers as good-natured, though often dimwitted or deluded, party animals. During the interview, Holmes smiled drunkenly at the camera, deeming himself "a full-blown alcoholic" and "a piece of crap" despite his band's success, and punctuated his remarks by guzzling from three bottles of vodka. At the end of the interview, Holmes upends a full bottle of Smirnoff over his head as he rolls out of his inflatable chair and into the water.

Ford, who was married to Holmes for two years in the early 1990s, spoke about Holmes's appearance in the movie during a recent interview with Meltdown of the WRIF radio station. She said (hear audio below): "That scene really ticked me off, because that was a setup. Penelope Spheeris, who was the producer of the film, set Chris up for that scene, which I thought was just dirty. And he ended up pouring pool water all over his face. It's not vodka in that bottle. Can you imagine pouring vodka all over your face like that? It was a setup, and it really ruined his career. It just destroyed his career, which is why he doesn't live in this country anymore."

Calling Sandy Holmes "a nice lady," Ford clarified that Chris and his mother "did drink — they weren't clean and sober — but, I mean, to that length, to where he pours it all over his face was just ridiculous. And then Penelope Spheeris made it out to look real, like he's really pouring this vodka on his face, it was just overkill," she said. "And… I don't know… For me, it was upsetting, 'cause it wasn't true."

According to Lita, "The Decline Of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years" is "supposed to be a comedy. And then [Penelope] came out with 'Wayne's Word', which was a huge hit," she said. "And, again, it's a comedy. But when she did that with Chris, it just destroyed his career. But… I don't know… He didn't do too much to make up for it either."

"The Decline Of Western Civilization" received a deluxe box set release in June 2015 from Shout! Factory.

A couple of years ago, Spheeris spoke to Goldmine magazine about the Holmes scene, explaining that she didn't think she got the interview when she first shot it. "I remember saying, 'We're going to have to reshoot this.' Because we didn't get anything," she said. "The guy's just sitting there screwing off and we didn't get anything. And then I saw Jon and Val [Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris], who are the producers, and I told them, we're going to have to reshoot that interview with Chris Holmes. And they said, 'Well, too bad, because we don't have enough money to reshoot it.' So I tried to cut something together and include it. I would never have imagined it would be the most talked-about and kind of most memorable moment of the movie."

Asked what happened in the five or ten minutes after she finished the interview, Spheeris said: "I think I was so stunned… You know how when you're in shock and you don't remember what happened? I don't remember! I don't remember him afterwards. Because I was just horrified that I didn't get an interview. I'm sure somebody must've given him a towel and… you know, most of that, [Penelope's daughter] Anna [Fox, who was instrumental in assembling the bevy of extras for the elegant box for the 'The Decline Of Western Civilization' trilogy], when she put the DVD extras together, she pasted together all of the interviews from beginning to end. And so you can see in there the entire progression — or I should say digression — of his interview. And most of that clear liquid was pool water, by the way."

In a separate interview with Rolling Stone, Spheeris offered more details about how the scene was shot. She said: "I don't remember if the pool was my idea or Chris's idea, but it was my idea to have his mom come down, 'cause I knew Sandy [Holmes]. She looks like she knows how far she can go with what she says to him. Like, she can't be too critical or he's just gonna go off on her.

"I didn't know he was going to be as drunk as he was. When we finished the interview, I took [cinematographer Jeff] Zimmerman behind a tree and said, 'I don't got this interview. We're gonna have to film him again.' But the great thing about doing documentaries is you just have to let them lead you. It turned out to be the most memorable thing.

"What I liked about the scene is you had all these younger kids talking about how they were gonna make it, but Chris was sort of an example of, 'Okay, I made it. Are you sure you want this?' That's why I liked it just from a filmmaker's standpoint. It counterbalanced all those crazy dreams that those kids had that were not gonna happen. It was a reality check.

"By the way, the first half of the bottle of vodka was real, and after that he was filling it up with pool water."

Holmes spoke about his appearance in "The Decline Of Western Civilization" during a 2014 interview with Metallväktarna. He said: "I get a lot [of questions] about that. [People wanna know], 'Was it alcohol? Were you drunk?' Or whatever. Yeah, I was drunk. I'm not known to be a liar. In fact, I was real drunk; I couldn't even talk. So a lot of people ask me, 'How do you feel about that being on TV?' or whatever. The only thing I don't like is where some kid will come up to me and go, 'Man, that's the coolest! I wanna live like that.' And, to me, personally, that's, like, me going down the tubes. And why would somebody wanna live like that?"

The Holmes scene in "The Metal Years" made quite an impression on STEEL PANTHER singer Michael Starr, who later told The Verge that it "shaped my whole career, to be quite honest with you. At that point, heavy metal was at its peak. It was awesome to be drunk, floating in a pool," he said. "You knew you had a disease and you were going to kill yourself eventually, but that was cool back then. People just looked at that and said, ‘Wow, this guy knows how to party. Everybody knows how to party.'"

Holmes joined W.A.S.P. in 1982 and remained with the group until 1990. In 1996, Holmes rejoined W.A.S.P. and stayed with the band until 2001. Holmes has not played with W.A.S.P. since.

6. Vintage 1968

ANTHRAX To Release 'Kings Among Scotland' Concert DVD In April

Name:  anthraxscotland2017stage_638.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  92.2 KB

Multi-Grammy-nominated thrash icons ANTHRAX will see "Kings Among Scotland", the band's long-awaited live-in-concert DVD, arrive in stores and online on April 27, 2018 (Megaforce). Captured last February 15 at the band's sold-out concert at Glasgow's historic venue Barrowland Ballroom, the two-hour "Kings Among Scotland" incorporates the band's entire live show along with interviews, behind-the-scenes footage and other B-roll shot on the band's tour bus, backstage, in hotels and elsewhere. The DVD will also include a "gear rundown" from each of the band members. "Kings Among Scotland" can be pre-ordered starting today; log on to www.anthrax.com for all purchasing information.

"Playing for our friends at the Barrowlands has always been very special," said ANTHRAX's Frank Bello. "We all know we're going to get together and have an insanely great time, and we think that incredible interaction and energy really comes through on this video."

With packaging art created by Steve Thompson (SLAYER, MOTÖRHEAD, IRON MAIDEN), the DVD's concert is presented in two parts. For part one, ANTHRAX perfomed the "favorites" that had been voted on pre-show by the band's fans and includes gems like "Madhouse", "Be All, End All", "Breathing Lightning" and "A.I.R." The band augmented the stage production for part two, with ramps and staircases and other production values while they tore into their classic 1987 album "Among The Living", performing "Caught In A Mosh", "I Am The Law", "Indians", "Eflinikufesin (N.F.L.)" and more.

"It was pretty a intense show," added guitarist Scott Ian, "especially when the crowd was so insane, the floor actually started moving up and down."

"It was a challenge for all of us to play 'Among The Living' live," admits Charlie Benante. "We've played a number of that album's songs in our shows over the years, but not all of them, and playing a song in a recording studio is not the same as playing it live on stage. So we put in a lot of time to get all of the tracks down perfectly. And I'll tell you, after we finished that set, as arduous as it was, we all felt a sense of exhiliration, like we could go out and do it again."

"Kings Among Scotland" was produced, directed, filmed and edited for Film24Productions by Paul M. Green (OPETH, THE DAMNED, THE LEVELLERS), with the sound mixed by ANTHRAX studio producer Jay Ruston. For the filming, Green utilized 17 cameras, including a crane and several mobile and stationery Go-Pros.

The release of "Kings Among Scotland" will be preceded by ANTHRAX's North American co-headline tour with KILLSWITCH ENGAGE — "KillThrax 2018" — set to kick off January 25 in Montreal.
    Name:  anthraxkingsamongscotlandcover.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  233.3 KB

7. Vintage 1968

ROB HALFORD, FOREIGNER, NICKELBACK Among Newly Announced Guests On SAMMY HAGAR's 'Rock & Roll Road Trip'

Name:  sammyhagarrogerdaltrey_638.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  46.4 KB

AXS TV, the premier destination for classic rock programming, has announced the premiere date for the return of the network's most popular original series, "Rock & Roll Road Trip With Sammy Hagar Presented by Mercury Insurance".

The Red Rocker, Sammy Hagar, cruises across the country for even more candid conversations and unforgettable jam sessions with some of music's biggest names, as season three of "Rock & Roll Road Trip With Sammy Hagar Presented by Mercury Insurance" debuts on Sunday, April 8, at 9 p.m. EST / 6 p.m. PST. Upcoming episodes feature an eclectic array of guest appearances including FOO FIGHTERS frontman Dave Grohl, THE WHO icon Roger Daltrey, JUDAS PRIEST singer Rob Halford, classic rock hit makers FOREIGNER, Canadian alt-rockers NICKELBACK, and more.

"It's been a cool surprise how much we're all enjoying the interview part of this show because as artists what happens on stage or in the music studio is the easy/fun stuff and the interviews often feel like the work," remarked Sammy Hagar. "It's like when the camera lights go on and the questions start, that typical wall or guard is down because it's me on the other end and not a seasoned journalist asking the questions. So the flow is organic and its easy — to the point where we're both surprised how deep and real the conversations get – we're definitely forgetting the camera is even there and I think that's really connecting with the viewers, too."

"'Rock & Roll Road Trip With Sammy Hagar' is the perfect fit for our TV audience, giving them unprecedented access into the lives of some of today's top musicians," said Evan Haiman, AXS TV's vice president of programming and development. "The series has continued to gain new viewers with each of its prior two seasons, and we look forward to building on that success with the incredible crop of high-caliber talent that we have lined up for season three."

"Rock & Roll Road Trip With Sammy Hagar" is produced in-house by AXS TV. Sammy Hagar, Tom Consolo, Evan Haiman and Kari Hagar all serve as executive producers and the series is produced by Stephen Stormer.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post
    ANTHRAX To Release 'Kings Among Scotland' Concert DVD In April

Name:  anthraxkingsamongscotlandcover.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  233.3 KB

Can anyone explain the homage to the Rock and Roll Over album cover?

Name:  d7ee59f9ea2cee3358e2645ebb894acc--kiss-band-kiss-rock-bands.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  132.7 KB

9. Vintage 1968

^^Scott Ian and the boys are big KISS fans. They have covered several KISS songs over the years and always list them as influences.
    Their cover of "Love Her All I Can" is a personal favorite of mine, but they have covered Parasite, and one or two others. Scott covered Rip It Out on the Spacewalk Ace Frehley tribute CD and did a bang-up job.

10. Vintage 1968

ANTHRAX's SCOTT IAN Looks Back On VH1's 'SuperGroup': 'I Had A Blast Doing That'

Name:  scottiananthraxkaaosmarch2017_638.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  31.8 KB
    During a recent interview with Long Island Pulse, ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian spoke about his involvement with "SuperGroup", the 2006 VH1 "reality" TV program starring Ian, former SKID ROW singer Sebastian Bach, Ted Nugent, ex-BIOHAZARD bassist/vocalist Evan Seinfeld and drummer Jason Bonham (BONHAM, UFO, FOREIGNER). The premise of the show, which was filmed in February and March 2006, was to lock several musicians in a house for 12 days and get them to write and record some new original music. In addition to the five musicians, manager Doc McGhee (KISS) was in charge for the duration of filming/recording. The all-star band — dubbed DAMNOCRACY — also performed a headlining set at the Empire Ballroom in Las Vegas.

"I had a blast doing that," Scott said. "I really have nothing bad to say about it. I got to live… as a rock star, for a couple of weeks in Las Vegas and really just had no responsibility. We had limousines on call for us 24 hours a day… It's an experience that is very much an anomaly in my life. And I just kind of went with it the best I could. I don't think I betrayed myself and became somebody different on that TV show. I was very much myself. I've had a lot of people tell me, 'You and Jason Bonham were, like, the voices of reason on that show.' And I'm, like, 'Well, I don't know about all that, but I was just myself. That's who I am.' I didn't feel like I needed to put on a bigger personality to be on that TV show."

Ian's second book, "Access All Areas: Stories From A Hard Rock Life", is being released today (Tuesday, December 12) via Da Capo Press. It is the follow-up to his 2014 autobiography, "I'm The Man: The Story Of That Guy From Anthrax", which came out in October 2014.

"Access All Areas" has tales of humor, excess, fun, debauchery, food, booze, and mayhem from Scott's many years on the road as well as his encounters with celebrities like "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott (PANTERA), Trent Reznor (NINE INCH NAILS), Madonna, Lemmy Kilmister (MOTÖRHEAD), John Carpenter, Robert Trujillo (METALLICA), SLAYER, David Lee Roth, and many more.

"'I'm The Man' is an autobiography. This one fills in the blanks," Scott said. "It's 23 stories from my life. Some of them from when I was a kid and most of them from my years in the band, touring, experiences I've had, crazy places I've been and situations I've been a part of, most of which I call my 'Who the hell let me in here?' moments."

ANTHRAX is continuing to tour in support of its latest album, "For All Kings", which was released in February 2016.

11. Vintage 1968

MEGADETH's DAVE MUSTAINE Guests On Country Artist BRETT KISSEL's New Song 'Damn!'

Name:  davemustainemegadethnov2016_638.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  31.1 KB

Dave Mustaine makes a guest appearance on the new album from Canadian country singer/songwriter Brett Kissel, "We Were That Song", which came out on December 8. The MEGADETH leader can be heard in the song "Damn!", available for streaming below.

Kissel, who is represented by Garth Brooks's manager Bob Doyle, and his family moved to Nashville in 2012. The 27-year-old Alberta-born musician is the reigning CCMA "Male Artist Of The Year."

Back in November 2013, MEGADETH played at the tribute concert honoring the late Country Music Hall Of Famer George Jones at Nashville, Tennessee's Bridgestone Arena.

MEGADETH was joined by Jamey Johnson for a performance of Jones's song "Wild Irish Rose".

Mustaine and his family moved to Tennessee in October 2014 after living in Fallbrook, California for many years.

Mustaine told Rolling Stone India that his family's relocation to Nashville was prompted largely by his daughter's decision to launch a country music career. Asked if he had met any country singers around town, Mustaine said: "Well, through her, yeah. It's interesting to me, because I'd have never thought that I'd have country singers who were MEGADETH fans. If you think about it, all the great guitar players that are in country bands are metal guys, believe it or not. It's funny, if you go to a restaurant here and somebody who serves you food is probably as good at guitar as you are. They just haven't had that break. There are so many talented people out here, it's mind-blowing."

He continued: "The country music scene is so different from metal. Like, Steven Tyler [AEROSMITH] moved out here and he had done a songwriting session with somebody and did it the way that we do it. He has the same background that I do — a rock background. When you write songs, you keep writing. Out here in the country thing, you have a three-hour session. You sit down with some guy and another guy and usually there's three people — one does the music, one does lyrics and another does melody. And in three hours, they've got a song. I'm thinking, '**** me!' If I could write a song in three hours, my life would be so easy. [Laughs] If I was that good where I could put together a song that's exceptional in a matter of three hours, it would certainly change my life a lot."

12. Vintage 1968

WOLFGANG VAN HALEN Posts Another Snippet Of Upcoming Solo Album

Attachment 506915

A new 17-second clip of a song from Wolfgang Van Halen's upcoming debut solo album is available below. The snippet was posted by Eddie Van Halen's son earlier this week on his Facebook page.

It was reported earlier this year by Van Halen News Desk that Wolfgang Van Halen was "doing it all" on his upcoming disc. The VAN HALEN bassist is playing all the drums, bass, guitars and keyboards himself, in addition to handling all the vocal tracks. The web site spoke directly with a pair of people who had heard portions of the record, saying they "totally loved it."

Wolfgang has been posting photos and videos from the studio at his Instagram account since early 2015.

He told The Pulse Of Radio a while back that his ability to play different instruments gave him the freedom to do what he wanted on a solo project. "I mean, I feel like it's just kind of open-ended," he said. "I feel like since I can play drums, bass, guitar and kind of sing, I guess, I can kind of just decide whatever I want to do. I mean, I've always loved the whole Dave Grohl story of how he started FOO FIGHTERS — just did a whole demo album by himself."

His father described the project in 2015 as sounding like "AC/DC meets VAN HALEN meets aggressive pop," adding, "It's a little of everything and sounds like a freight train coming at you. I've never heard anything quite like it. It's so powerful that I'm jealous."

There's still no official indication as to when or how the album might see release.

Wolfgang first performed live with VAN HALEN on the band's 2007-2008 world tour, which also marked the return of original singer David Lee Roth. He made his recording debut on the band's 2012 album "A Different Kind Of Truth".

Wolfgang has also toured as a member of ALTER BRIDGE guitarist Mark Tremonti's solo band and played bass on TREMONTI's second album.