Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 129 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131 LastLast
Results 1,537 to 1,548 of 1565
  1. Vintage 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    I don't actively follow the style so nope hadn't heard of him...and absolutely loath Jr.
    I was never a fan of Hank, Jr. either. Hank III played in Superjoint Ritual and had a long history playing punk rock and thrash. The thing I like about him is that when he plays country he respects the originators. He's not trying to be rap country or Def Leppard or punk country. He respects the old school country artists to the point where he had Kayton Roberts plays console steel guitar on two of his albums. Kayton played steel guitar for Hank Snow for 30 years. Hank III's shows are marathon events, with him playing around 4 1/2 hours straight. Plays outlaw country, rock, thrash, punk and some stuff that I think Kerry King would have a hard time keeping up with. One of the best pure music shows I have ever attended.

One of my favorite Hank III songs is Smoke and Wine.
    Got some fancy picking in that one.

For some of his more traditional country stuff, Cecil Brown is good.

If you are interested in checking out Hank III, I would recommend skipping Rising Outlaw, his debut album. Record company was trying to make him new country and it shows. It's not his most honest work. He wrote a song about it on his next album (Lovestruck, Broke and Drifting) called Trashville.
    Random obscure cool group from my youth:

2. Registered User

Saw this old clip of Black Sabbath doing Paranoid. It's from 1970. I don't think the audio is live - sounds like the album version.

But from a drummer's perspective, check out the fact that Bill Ward - metal masher extraordinaire - is using only ONE cymbal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qanF-91aJo

Got me thinking, what would I use if I could only go out there with one cymbal in my set-up.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    Saw this old clip of Black Sabbath doing Paranoid. It's from 1970. I don't think the audio is live - sounds like the album version.

But from a drummer's perspective, check out the fact that Bill Ward - metal masher extraordinaire - is using only ONE cymbal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qanF-91aJo

Got me thinking, what would I use if I could only go out there with one cymbal in my set-up.
    Yeah, it's amazing what you can get away with when you're doing a playback TV show. You don't even have to mic the drums or plug in the guitars.

4. Now With More "Whiz"

Quote Originally Posted by sinuatus View Post
    Yeah, it's amazing what you can get away with when you're doing a playback TV show. You don't even have to mic the drums or plug in the guitars.
    Technically, he was using 3 cymbals (top hat, bottom had and ride/crash).

And yes, that cymbal is absolutely magic for the playback show. If you watch around the 0:33 mark, it manages to crash itself twice without the drummer even hitting it.

5. Rogue Ex-Mod

Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post
    I was never a fan of Hank, Jr. either. Hank III played in Superjoint Ritual and had a long history playing punk rock and thrash. The thing I like about him is that when he plays country he respects the originators. He's not trying to be rap country or Def Leppard or punk country. He respects the old school country artists to the point where he had Kayton Roberts plays console steel guitar on two of his albums. Kayton played steel guitar for Hank Snow for 30 years. Hank III's shows are marathon events, with him playing around 4 1/2 hours straight. Plays outlaw country, rock, thrash, punk and some stuff that I think Kerry King would have a hard time keeping up with. One of the best pure music shows I have ever attended.

One of my favorite Hank III songs is Smoke and Wine.
    Got some fancy picking in that one.

For some of his more traditional country stuff, Cecil Brown is good.

If you are interested in checking out Hank III, I would recommend skipping Rising Outlaw, his debut album. Record company was trying to make him new country and it shows. It's not his most honest work. He wrote a song about it on his next album (Lovestruck, Broke and Drifting) called Trashville.
    I sensed somebody talking about Hank III and emerged from my hibernation.

I'd call him easily the best Country artist of the last 20 years and one of my favorite musicians of all time. I think Straight to Hell is my favorite overall album from him, a nice mix of some old sounds with some new ideas, but really you can't go wrong with any of them. I agree with pretty much everything you said. I love Hank Sr, never cared much for Hank Jr. I like Hank III's death metal stuff too when I'm in the right mood.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

6. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Iron Maiden! Reunion with fellow high school drummers. I’m all the way on the left for those who don’t know me.

Name:  350A3F5E-BF6F-448A-8A74-9E089EC2141A.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  DE53CF53-C5DB-49A5-B11E-307278B06FD2.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  89.4 KB

7. Vintage 1968

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Iron Maiden! Reunion with fellow high school drummers. Iím all the way on the left for those who donít know me.

Name:  350A3F5E-BF6F-448A-8A74-9E089EC2141A.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  DE53CF53-C5DB-49A5-B11E-307278B06FD2.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  89.4 KB
    That's great that you got to hang out with old friends. I don't think we had that many drummers in my high school, let alone Maiden fans.

8. Vintage 1968

Not to be outdone by Dale I got to check out Amy's (LUD202) playing Saturday night in Atlanta!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dudme; 07-31-2019 at 03:16 PM.

9. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post
    That's great that you got to hang out with old friends. I don't think we had that many drummers in my high school, let alone Maiden fans.
    That’s not even half of them.

10. Drumming Since 1943

That’s not even half of them.
    That’s cool dale. I spent last weekend in asbury with my lovely bride celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary. Maiden took a back seat.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Professional Amateur

Iron Maiden! Reunion with fellow high school drummers. Iím all the way on the left for those who donít know me.
    Sweet! Can't want until they come to Pittsburgh in a couple weeks. I'll be there! Sadly it won't be a reunion with any of my old drumming buddies, but it should be a *****in' show all the same!

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by jester2937 View Post
    Sweet! Can't want until they come to Pittsburgh in a couple weeks. I'll be there! Sadly it won't be a reunion with any of my old drumming buddies, but it should be a *****in' show all the same!
    I’m sure it was great for the real Maiden fans, but there was too much material unknown to me. I only know songs from basically Live After Death. Don’t get me wrong, I wore that tape out, but I cannot say I followed them past that, though I did recognize one song from Seventh Son.

Live albums were basically greatest hits records in their prime.