Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 131 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133 LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,572 of 1595
  1. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    What you are saying has merit, but it also sounds like a jazz guy talking about the rock scene.
    Lol. Jazz guy...

I agree with Roll though. It may be a function of age but I cannot think of any current bands who hit me like Maiden or Rush or Priest or Zep did- and still do. Everything seems derivative and watered down and therefore disingenuous.
    Way Too Much Crap

2. life start at 125bpm

What you are saying has merit, but it also sounds like a jazz guy talking about the rock scene.

....look at one of the most dramatic consequences of the industry's desengagement toward rock music and BANDS in general in north america: there's less and less musicians .musicians: a dying breed.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

3. Rogue Ex-Mod

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Lol. Jazz guy...

I agree with Roll though. It may be a function of age but I cannot think of any current bands who hit me like Maiden or Rush or Priest or Zep did- and still do. Everything seems derivative and watered down and therefore disingenuous.
    It's not just your age. Everything has a peak, every style of music. Rock and metal both peaked a LONG time ago, and we're at a point now where you're either going to repeat what's already been done, or push things into a less and less musical direction. When I listen to modern metal I hear athletes trying to solve math problems with physicality, I don't hear musicians making art. There's so many people in bands today that aren't musicians at all, they've just built up physical skills on an instrument. If you tried to play one chord with non-stop double bass and some guy screaming over the top of it in the 60s or 70s people would have said "You don't have any musical talent, maybe try something else" but these days it passes for "music". If I do hear anything I like, my usual reaction is "Wow, this sounds exactly like that one Sabbath song..." because again, there's only so much you can do with guitar based rock and power chords. I still play in an original band, and we do our best to be musical and creative, but we still end up saying stuff like "Yeah this is pretty much a Zeppelin song". As rollracer said, the industry doesn't want bands or musicians anymore. They want a marketable product to sell to other non-musicians for maximum profit.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

4. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by David Hollywood View Post
    It's not just your age. Everything has a peak, every style of music. Rock and metal both peaked a LONG time ago, and we're at a point now where you're either going to repeat what's already been done, or push things into a less and less musical direction. When I listen to modern metal I hear athletes trying to solve math problems with physicality, I don't hear musicians making art. There's so many people in bands today that aren't musicians at all, they've just built up physical skills on an instrument. If you tried to play one chord with non-stop double bass and some guy screaming over the top of it in the 60s or 70s people would have said "You don't have any musical talent, maybe try something else" but these days it passes for "music". If I do hear anything I like, my usual reaction is "Wow, this sounds exactly like that one Sabbath song..." because again, there's only so much you can do with guitar based rock and power chords. I still play in an original band, and we do our best to be musical and creative, but we still end up saying stuff like "Yeah this is pretty much a Zeppelin song". As rollracer said, the industry doesn't want bands or musicians anymore. They want a marketable product to sell to other non-musicians for maximum profit.
    Wow. You've just distilled everything I feel in a paragraph.

I'm stuck in a weird place of feeling very secure and assured in my love for 80's metal and 90's thrash but at the same time disappointed in myself that I haven't tried harder to expand my musical palate as time has progressed.

I guess I'm just old.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Registered User

I know I am!!!

6. Registered User

I'm perfectly content to Listen to the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and A Tribe Called Quest for the rest of my life. Add in St. Vincent or the occasional cool Jack White song and I'll want for nothing.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by David Hollywood View Post
    I
    Spot on - at least in regards to rock & metal. That being said, I am enjoying both genres these days more than I have in decades, thanks precisely to this "retreading" of older styles and sounds. Bands like Green Lung from the UK which borrow heavily from Sabbath and mix in elements of others from the early 70s. Riot City from Canada - who are awesomely borrowing from Priest and early Crue.

8. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    Spot on - at least in regards to rock & metal. That being said, I am enjoying both genres these days more than I have in decades, thanks precisely to this "retreading" of older styles and sounds. Bands like Green Lung from the UK which borrow heavily from Sabbath and mix in elements of others from the early 70s. Riot City from Canada - who are awesomely borrowing from Priest and early Crue.
    Eddie Trunk loves those bands.

9. Registered User

Ha!

10. Drumming Since 1943

He’s an *** so... there’s that.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    He’s an *** so... there’s that.
    All that guy seems to do is talk about how he’s good friends with all of these rockstars.

12. Registered User

All that guy seems to do is talk about how he’s good friends with all of these rockstars.
    I think the tipping point was his plastic surgery. Ever since then, every conversation is about who he knows and what they did "last time we hung out".

I used to dig That Metal Show depending on the guest. But that guy is a walking Pillsbury dough tube of pretentiousness.