Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 139 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141 LastLast
Results 1,657 to 1,668 of 1688
  1. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    Regarding Journey: I've kinda read that Cain is a jerk, and Smith is a little..'uppity.' I dunno about the other guys. Since it's been Schon from the beginning, I get that it's HIS band, and everything pretty much runs through him. I guess by how long he's been there, Cain gets the same..status, or stature. I'm curious who they'll grab for bass, and drums. Part of me wouldn't be surprised if they brought Deen back, but would it affect their image if they did? It's too bad that he's made some really dumb decisions, cause he's a monster drummer. I can't stress 'dumb' enough.
    !
    ‘Dumb’ is too nice even with your emphasis. Deen deserves beatings himself.

As with most of us, being in so many bands over the years I can all but predict band dynamics. The fact that Cain has so much power is because he wrote or co-wrote so many of the hits. By the way of documentaries you can see him controlling aspects of the band. The fact he was the one to call Perry and tell him they were moving on without him and not Schon shows Neal would rather sit back.

Cain also talks to the audience like a cheesy piano-man in some bar in an airport. He never did that when Perry was in the band as Perry was the leader. Schon only stepped up when some went to the White House which brought a negative impact on the band’s original agreement of being politically private that he put a stop to it.

That entire dynamic is something I lived through a couple of times. I can practically imagine myself in Steve Smith’s shoes.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    I play in a three-piece band and it's very low-key..no stress. The downside to that is that the other two guys don't care how close we get to the original recordings. So, lyrics get messed up, and important(to me, and sometimes signature) licks, get fudged over because the player doesn't have the ability to play it, and I feel rather embarrassed. There's songs that we butcher(in my opinion), and I try and veto it, but the other guys want to play them..so we do. I'm probably being a little overly dramatic, I'm just venting what bugs me about my band. Sorry guys. Regarding Journey: I've kinda read that Cain is a jerk, and Smith is a little..'uppity.' I dunno about the other guys. Since it's been Schon from the beginning, I get that it's HIS band, and everything pretty much runs through him. I guess by how long he's been there, Cain gets the same..status, or stature. I'm curious who they'll grab for bass, and drums. Part of me wouldn't be surprised if they brought Deen back, but would it affect their image if they did? It's too bad that he's made some really dumb decisions, cause he's a monster drummer. I can't stress 'dumb' enough. Rocker..I used to really enjoy Bon Jovi, but now I think they're just a joke. I haven't enjoyed anything by them in the last twenty years, and Jon's voice is shot(see their RRHOF performance). I still listen to their old stuff, and really like the first two albums. I think they are underrated. Anyway..keep fighting the good fight, my drumming brothers!
    This is us! 3 piece. Low stress. no drama. There are definitely songs we play that we shouldn't.

It's making my interest wain.

Dale, for you to be " done " with Journey is kind of a big deal. I know you were a big fan. Sometimes it's just like that. I've known for a long time Ozzy and Sharon run a business that pretends to be a band. But the treatment of Lee Kerslake was the final straw for me. Plus Bill Wards treatment with Black Sabbath. I always thought Ioomi was a jerk but I guess all 3 other members are.

3. Registered User

Breaking news. Most Rock stars are jerks in one way or another. According to Deens Twitter feed, "To set the record straight. Journey is going in a different direction and leaving the past where it should be, in the past which I think is great. A new lineup may be just what the band needs! I committed to the Daisies and couldn't leave them a month before our tour".

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    Breaking news. Most Rock stars are jerks in one way or another. According to Deens Twitter feed, "To set the record straight. Journey is going in a different direction and leaving the past where it should be, in the past which I think is great. A new lineup may be just what the band needs! I committed to the Daisies and couldn't leave them a month before our tour".
    True.

Old bands in modern days remind me of a hatchet I once owned.

It originally belonged to a young boy who would go on to be a general and the first president of the United States. Yes! None other than George Washington. He famously chopped down his fathers cherry tree with this hatchet and then told on himself.

Many many years later, while visiting Mount Vernon, I acquired that same hatchet. I had to replace the handle...and the head, but it occupied the same space.

5. Registered User

Journey is on three band bills during the summer tour circuit. If they happen to be coming with two other bands I want to see then I'll go. I'm long past caring who is in the lineup at this point. Steve Smith was a great arena rock drummer back in the early 80s, but now I'd rather see him play in a fusion band. I didn't expect him to last beyond a tour.

6. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    They should not be riding off the coat tails of an old band’s history & catalogue. If they are truly moving in a new direction, 95% of their set shouldn’t be from ‘83 or older.

7. Registered User

R.E.O Speedwagon kicks Journeys *** in every direction anyway. Not sure who's more popular but I know who's better!

8. Vintage 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    I'm not sure why this has flown so under the radar: Days ago, metal lost one of its finest vocalists ans lyricists. Warrel Dane was more a poet than anything & I will miss his work.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/nev...ack-in-brazil/
    56 is young to have a heart attack. I don't believe I have heard any of his music.

9. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post
    56 is young to have a heart attack. I don't believe I have heard any of his music.
    Cocaine is a terrible drug.

My friend Josh had 4 tapes in his car when we were younger: the first Dream Theater record, Fates Warning’s Perfect Symmetry, a band called Hellstar, and this guy’s band Sanctuary. At least it was original sounding, but his voice was grinding on me. Ugh.

https://youtu.be/v5NCBaPE3k0

10. Experienced Noob

Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post

Holy smokes! How did you come upon my post of over 2 years ago?

11. Experienced Noob

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post

Cocaine is a terrible drug.

My friend Josh had 4 tapes in his car when we were younger: the first Dream Theater record, Fates Warning’s Perfect Symmetry, a band called Hellstar, and this guy’s band Sanctuary. At least it was original sounding, but his voice was grinding on me. Ugh.

https://youtu.be/v5NCBaPE3k0
    In his case, it was alcohol abuse and diabetes that likely led him to an early grave. I'm not saying he didn't use cocaine, but I never heard that was a problem for him.

It doesn't matter much, though. He's dead either way.

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

This industry is so insane.

Steve Perry Gets More To Not Sing