Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 132 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133 LastLast
Results 1,573 to 1,584 of 1595
  1. Rogue Ex-Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    Spot on - at least in regards to rock & metal. That being said, I am enjoying both genres these days more than I have in decades, thanks precisely to this "retreading" of older styles and sounds. Bands like Green Lung from the UK which borrow heavily from Sabbath and mix in elements of others from the early 70s. Riot City from Canada - who are awesomely borrowing from Priest and early Crue.

Thanks! I understand what you mean, I love listening to Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats. Are they kind of shameless Sabbath clones? Yeah. Are they still fun to listen to? Sure are. Again, we're talking about guitar based rock/metal, there's going to be a limit to what you can do within that structure before you start to retread. Your choices are pretty much "retread a bit on good stuff from the past" or "go so extreme that you cease to be musical and/or start to lose your core audience for the genre".
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

2. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    I think the tipping point was his plastic surgery. Ever since then, every conversation is about who he knows and what they did "last time we hung out".

I used to dig That Metal Show depending on the guest. But that guy is a walking Pillsbury dough tube of pretentiousness.
    So let me get this straight- that round boy decided to get plastic surgery instead of hitting the gym and laying off the Twinkies? What'd he get done? I stopped paying attention to his bloated *** LONG ago precisely because of the things you talked about.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Bun E. Carlos is again cleaning out some of his collection.

http://donnbennett.com/category/drum...y/snare-drums/

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by David Hollywood View Post
    Thanks! I understand what you mean, I love listening to Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats. Are they kind of shameless Sabbath clones? Yeah. Are they still fun to listen to? Sure are. Again, we're talking about guitar based rock/metal, there's going to be a limit to what you can do within that structure before you start to retread. Your choices are pretty much "retread a bit on good stuff from the past" or "go so extreme that you cease to be musical and/or start to lose your core audience for the genre".

Um...what year did Uncle Acid form? Because I had that as a band name in the early early 90's!

I had to explain to the other guys ... " you know, Aunt Acids husband! "

5. Rogue Ex-Mod

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Um...what year did Uncle Acid form? Because I had that as a band name in the early early 90's!

I had to explain to the other guys ... " you know, Aunt Acids husband! "
    They formed in 2009 in the UK, they're probably the most modern band that I listen to regularly. I got into them about a year ago.

I agree, I feel like there have been at least 100 other bands with that name haha.

It's like "The B Sides", there's one of those in every town.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    So let me get this straight- that round boy decided to get plastic surgery instead of hitting the gym and laying off the Twinkies? What'd he get done? I stopped paying attention to his bloated *** LONG ago precisely because of the things you talked about.
    Haven’t heard of these guys. I’ll check them
    Out.

On the flip side, I was at a truck stop and they had CD’s for 99 cents. They had Kingdom Come in their and I bought it. Are they a Led Zeppelin clone? Yes, but I enjoy listening to them.
    Pearl Reference Drums - Paiste - Evans - Vater

22x20x2 18x16 16x16 12x9 10x8 14x6

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Definitely had the face done. The eyes and mouth are most noticeable. And I don't doubt for a minute that he threw-in a little lipo.

8. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I brought my son to his first ever concert, Journey. He had no idea we were going until we were on our way.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

9. Registered User

Old rockers just look so... old.

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster56 View Post
    Old rockers just look so... old.
    If you are speaking about Journey, their energy was there unlike many of the older bands. A younger lead singer who flies around the stage helps. The audience has no right to talk though. I would say a good portion already looked like they were collecting Social Security.

The bassist Ross Valory and keyboardist Jonathan Cainís outfits have them looking like they want to be younger than they are. On the other side, at times Cain dresses like itís Casual Friday at work. He cannot find his place.

His lounge act, talking over while playing a piano solo, which eventually lead into the beginning of Faithfully, is really cheesy. It is definitely a weapon for those who dislike them. Ugh.

They played all of the songs youíd expect as well as the song Escape, a real favorite of mine. They played it one of the other times Iíve seen them so it must be a deep cut that the band really likes to play or the audience has shown to appreciate. My son really loves it, but thatís because I play it whenever I listen to them.

Iíve seen Journey twice before in the last 3 years. They played 1.5 hours with no encore and had no opening band. I felt a little cheated with the amount of time played, even Steve Smithís drum solo was about half of the time it was previously.

In a way, the lack of an encore was nice. The only other headline act I saw not give one was Mark Laneganís solo performance I recently saw. Encores are so predictable anymore anyway and besides, the crowdís geriatric energy didnít deserve one. Most of the people were not standing, especially in the back, let alone screaming loud enough for the band to give one.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

11. Registered User

I was talking about ALL old rockers.

12. Now With More "Whiz"

When did Arnel Pineda suddenly turn into Shemp from the 3 Stooges?

Anyways, cool that you and your son got to experience some live music; even if hanging upside down...