Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 110 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110
Results 1,309 to 1,316 of 1316
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooks, Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,084

    Default

    DEF LEPPARD’S PHIL COLLEN WEIGHS IN ON BACKING TRACKS DEBATE
    MARTIN KIELTYMarch 14, 2019
    Ethan Miller, Getty Images
    SHARE ON TWITTER
    SHARE ON FACEBOOK
    Def Leppard guitarist Phil Collen discussed the use of backing tapes at live shows, saying there were certain circumstances in which it was allowable.
    His comments followed those of Motley Crue’s Nikki Sixx, who recently revealed his band had been using pre-recorded audio at concerts since 1987.
    “Well, it depends what you’re talking about,” Collen told Rock Talk With Mitch Lafon in a new interview. “I mean, we’ve always used keyboard things and parts of a drum loop, like on ‘Rocket’ – you couldn’t really play that part live. So we’ve used stuff like that.”

    He explained that "our vocals are always live, and that’s the big difference – we’re like a live vocal band. And that’s something that a lot of the other bands don’t do. They kind of fake the vocals and it’s not really them. But this is really us. … It’s real. The vocals are real. Everything’s totally, a hundred percent real.”


    Collen conceded there were environments, such as at live sport events that are strictly times for commercial breaks, where lip-syncing was preferred in order to assure the quality of the performance.

    “That’s a different thing,” he said. “But for live concerts, we’re really up for actually really playing live, and that’s something we’ve always done.” He added: “If someone’s got a bad throat that night, you’re gonna hear it.”

    He also argued that some bands had to use pre-recorded material if “the real person’s not there,” citing the example of Queen. “If you go and see them, you have to have enhancements. [It’s] just the way these shows are.”
    Last year, Judas Priest singer Rob Halford reported that guitarist Glenn Tipton, whose health condition means he can no longer tour full-time with the band, refused the option of playing to backing tapes in order to remain on the road. In 2012, Paul McCartney decried the use of automated performance, arguing that “the concert experience is at the heart of what music is about.” The previous year, Sammy Hagar claimed Van Halen were using recordings of fired bassist Michael Anthony’s voice to bolster their live sound.

  2. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,456

    Default

    ^ I hope this doesn’t shock anyone. I knew local bands that did in the 80’s. The were posers to the fullest, not just in their image.

  3. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    17,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    ^ I hope this doesn’t shock anyone. I knew local bands that did in the 80’s. The were posers to the fullest, not just in their image.
    So... tell me Dale- what do you consider "posing" as far as tracks and triggers are concerned? For instance, Rush triggered all KINDS of "events" onstage, from vocal tracks to found sounds. Def Leppard goes a bit further but apparently sing all vocals live. What's your opinion on these things?
    Way Too Much Crap

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Levittown, PA
    Posts
    4,593

    Default

    ^When you think you're hearing great vocals and then there is a Milli Vanilli moment. In general the pop acts have taken it too far with the lead vocal track.

  5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    So... tell me Dale- what do you consider "posing" as far as tracks and triggers are concerned? For instance, Rush triggered all KINDS of "events" onstage, from vocal tracks to found sounds. Def Leppard goes a bit further but apparently sing all vocals live. What's your opinion on these things?
    Posing to me is many things, but in this case, faking what you are doing. You don’t see Neil Peart on a mic sounding like Aimee Mann unlike DLR in the late ‘80’s when I was told you could hear Billy Scheen’s (sp?) voice through the PA though he wasn’t in the band anymore.

  6. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    17,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Posing to me is many things, but in this case, faking what you are doing. You don’t see Neil Peart on a mic sounding like Aimee Mann unlike DLR in the late ‘80’s when I was told you could hear Billy Scheen’s (sp?) voice through the PA though he wasn’t in the band anymore.
    Fair enough.
    Way Too Much Crap

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooks, Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,084

    Default

    Steve Perry goes traditional in his new video for "We're Still Here."
    The former Journey singer released other videos for last year's comeback solo album Traces, but they were either lyric, static-image or lip-synced in-studio clips. The new video recalls those old-school conceptual ones MTV used to show in the '80s.
    "We're Still Here" marks Perry's first such video for a solo song since 1994's "Missing You." It features the singer cruising the streets of Los Angeles in a 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS, miming the song as he observes the nighttime action around him.

    You can watch it below.

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mS6diwXA08

    As he revealed in a press release, the idea for the video mirrors the inspiration for the track, which he wrote with Brian West.

    “Brian and I had just started writing the song and were sketching it out in the studio,” Perry said. “When we broke for dinner, I went to this place down the street, and that was the first time I’d been in Hollywood in a long time. There I was on Sunset Blvd. and Hollywood and Vine just walking around. I saw a whole new generation of 16- and 17-year-olds running around just … alive. And through these kids I felt a kinship. We’re still here doing the same thing.”

    Perry produced the clip to promote a deluxe edition of Traces that's coming out on April 15. The set adds five unreleased tracks from the sessions and comes with various Traces-themed merchandise, including posters, a candle, a pillowcase with the album artwork, an insulated cup and a key chain of the car seen in the video.

  8. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    Steve Perry goes traditional in his new video for "We're Still Here."
    The former Journey singer released other videos for last year's comeback solo album Traces, but they were either lyric, static-image or lip-synced in-studio clips. The new video recalls those old-school conceptual ones MTV used to show in the '80s.
    "We're Still Here" marks Perry's first such video for a solo song since 1994's "Missing You." It features the singer cruising the streets of Los Angeles in a 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS, miming the song as he observes the nighttime action around him.

    You can watch it below.

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mS6diwXA08

    As he revealed in a press release, the idea for the video mirrors the inspiration for the track, which he wrote with Brian West.

    “Brian and I had just started writing the song and were sketching it out in the studio,” Perry said. “When we broke for dinner, I went to this place down the street, and that was the first time I’d been in Hollywood in a long time. There I was on Sunset Blvd. and Hollywood and Vine just walking around. I saw a whole new generation of 16- and 17-year-olds running around just … alive. And through these kids I felt a kinship. We’re still here doing the same thing.”

    Perry produced the clip to promote a deluxe edition of Traces that's coming out on April 15. The set adds five unreleased tracks from the sessions and comes with various Traces-themed merchandise, including posters, a candle, a pillowcase with the album artwork, an insulated cup and a key chain of the car seen in the video.
    I love Journey, but that was just awful. AM radio back when that meant something.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •