Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 143 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145 LastLast
Results 1,705 to 1,716 of 1736
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Ah... he was young and impressionable. And hungry.
    Not to mention the VH bros were done with Mike for his ongoing friendship with Sammy.

I'm with Dale though, I'm not sure his limited time and relatively limited exposure in VH helps him much with a solo career... other than to set expectations.

2. Vintage 1968

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    It would have helped him if he didnít join the band.
    Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    Not to mention the VH bros were done with Mike for his ongoing friendship with Sammy.

I'm with Dale though, I'm not sure his limited time and relatively limited exposure in VH helps him much with a solo career... other than to set expectations.
    In the old days I'd agree. But Steve Harris' daughter Lauren is the only second generation musician that I can think of and the only mention of her I've ever heard is in relation to her dad or Richie Faulkner.

3. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post
    In the old days I'd agree. But Steve Harris' daughter Lauren is the only second generation musician that I can think of and the only mention of her I've ever heard is in relation to her dad or Richie Faulkner.
    His last name is “Van Halen”- he’ll be fine.
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Think about what a battle Sean and Julian Lennon have had, especially Julian. Sean was somewhat able to break off on his own. Jacob Dylan barely did.

Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post
    Good for her. Plus Harris is a common enough name to hide unlike Van Halen.

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    His last name is “Van Halen”- he’ll be fine.
    Financially, of course.

5. NO KIT TOO BIG

Dhani Harrison hasn't done badly for a second generation! He's been opening for Jeff Lynne's tours the past few years, as well as doing the Beatles Grammy shows and some other stuff.

As drummers go, Jason Bonham and Zak Starkey are the obvious ones, and both have been very successful in their own ways.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier, Arbiter Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, PREMIER, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

5 Kits and 11 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

6. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Dhani Harrison hasn't done badly for a second generation! He's been opening for Jeff Lynne's tours the past few years, as well as doing the Beatles Grammy shows and some other stuff.

As drummers go, Jason Bonham and Zak Starkey are the obvious ones, and both have been very successful in their own ways.
    Actually, the band Bonham was a dud with the exception of one tune and he almost went down the exact road his father did. He’s redeemed himself with various projects since, luckily.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Vintage 1968

Iron Maiden and Deep Purple Producer Martin Birch Dead at 71

Read More: Iron Maiden and Deep Purple Producer Martin Birch Dead at 71 | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/mart...edium=referral
    Martin Birch, who produced nine consecutive Iron Maiden albums - as well as records from Deep Purple, Rainbow and Black Sabbath - has died at the age of 71.

The news was confirmed by David Coverdale; Birch produced the first six Whitesnake albums. "It is with a very heavy heart I've just had verified my very dear friend and producer Martin Birch has passed away," Coverdale tweeted. "Martin was a huge part of my life ... helping me from the first time we met through until Slide It In. .. My thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and fans."

Birch made a habit of working with bands for long periods of time. He produced every Iron Maiden album from 1981's Killers to 1992's Fear of the Dark, and engineered or produced nearly a dozen Deep Purple albums. He also helmed Black Sabbath's Ronnie James Dio-fronted Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules, engineered five early Fleetwood Mac albums and produced Rainbow's first three records.

In a 1983 interview with Best magazine, Birch explained why he preferred to work with the same artists over and over. "I certainly think that you can only make the most out of a band if you know it really well, very much in depth," he said. "Occasional producers who make an album with a band, then move on to another, are bound to do something pretty shallow. The results are always brilliant, excellent at the time, but you realize later that the true colors of the band don't come out and the album loses quickly its prestige."

In a 2016 interview with Classic Rock, he described the excitement he felt working on his second project with Iron Maiden, 1982's The Number of the Beast. It was the group's first album with Bruce Dickinson on vocals.

"When Bruce joined, it opened up the possibilities for the new album tremendously," Birch recalled. "I simply didn’t think Paul [Di'Anno] was capable of handling vocals on some of the quite complicated directions I knew [bassist and songwriter] Steve [Harris] wanted to explore. I remember saying to them when it was finished, 'This is gonna be a big, big album. This is gonna transform your career.' It just had all the magical ingredients: feel, ideas, energy, execution. And I think the response I got was, 'Oh, really?'"

Birch was right. He produced a string of Iron Maiden albums, and then retired from the industry after Fear of the Dark.

The producer was humble about his technical skills, chalking up much of his success to an ability to connect and communicate with artists. "I don't consider myself a super-technician, what I do is to me pretty simple, but the fact that I'm used to the bands I have worked with helps me to know instantly what they want, or even what they can achieve, even if they don't realize it clearly themselves," he told Best. "Or maybe bands trust me over long periods of time just because they find me a particularly likable character!"

8. Registered User

RIP Mr. Birch.

You were a valuable asset to creating some of the defining albums of my life.

9. Drumming Since 1943

RIP Mr. Birch.

You were a valuable asset to creating some of the defining albums of my life.
    For me it was Piece of Mind.
    Way Too Much Crap

10. Vintage 1968

Martin Birch produced Heaven and Hell and the Mob Rules for Sabbath, along with the run of Maiden albums that made their career. In other words; the soundtrack of my youth.

11. Registered User

I had the Rainbow albums on cassette, but I didn't really catch on to his influence until the Maiden albums.

Wore out my copy of Whitesnake "Slide it In" twice!

12. Vintage 1968

I had the Rainbow albums on cassette, but I didn't really catch on to his influence until the Maiden albums.

Wore out my copy of Whitesnake "Slide it In" twice!
    Slide It In was one of the best sounding recordings back in the day.