Results 2,077 to 2,088 of 2157
  1. Registered Loser

Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post
    They were very bright sounding, too!
    Booooo!

2. Vintage 1968

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/seba...nterview-2021/

Sebastian Bach
    has his work cut out for him on his ongoing Slave to the Grind 30th-anniversary tour. The chart-topping sophomore LP from his former band, Skid Row, is full of skyscraping vocal runs and ear-piercing screams — no small feat to replicate onstage every night. But the 53-year-old singer tells UCR that’s always been the case.

"I'm interpreting it for me now, but there was never a time in my life that I could have walked up and done that record in just one shot," Bach says. "That album is a studio creation that is us pushing ourselves to the maximum. And I never had a problem doing stuff in the studio that might be impossible to do live, because to me, making a record is not the same as doing a show. Like Pink Floyd's The Wall or [the Beatles'] Sgt. Pepper's - I mean, those are amazing records. The Beatles never came out and did Sgt. Pepper's with all the sound and all this stuff. They made a record, and then they went and did a show. It's two different things. But I'm trying my hardest to do it the best I can."
    Recording Slave to the Grind was an immense challenge for Bach, even as a wiry 22-year-old with superhuman pipes and an appetite for controversy. He blew his voice out while recording the blistering, melodic screams on album closer "Wasted Time" and had to take a couple weeks off from singing. "I was trying to push my voice as hard as I could, but sometimes you can push it too hard, and this record is a great example of that," he says.

These days, Bach says, in-ear monitors make it easier to perform such demanding songs without cranking his stage mix to deafening levels. "I have it at a comfortable volume, because when I'm looking at three months of shows, I'm not going to hurt my ears," he adds. "I'm not going to sacrifice my hearing for rock 'n' roll, no matter how much I love rock. Sometimes it is too loud, and sometimes you are too old."

Listen to Skid Row's 'Wasted Time'

Skid Row - Wasted Time (Official Music Video)

Subscribe to Ultimate Classic Rock on

As more of his own rock 'n' roll heroes from the ‘60s and ‘70s throw in the towel, Bach is keenly aware that he and his hard-rock peers, such as Guns N' Roses and Motley Crue, are becoming the genre's elder statesmen. "I see all the time our bands are leaving us," Bach says. "You know, David Lee Roth's retiring, and Kiss say they're gonna be done by next year. So I do feel a responsibility, to the fans and to rock 'n' roll, to have respect for the stage."

For Bach, that means keeping his show 100 percent live — no backing tracks allowed. "I don't see a lot of bands coming up that are going to replace [the classic rock stars]," he says, "because too many of them rely on tapes, and that's not gonna last the test of time. There's gonna be a time when those tape bands are gonna have to do it for real, and people are gonna go, 'This is a ****ing joke.' And I just know that real musicians hit your heart way more hard than guys miming to a tape.”

There's no shortcut to musical mastery, Bach stresses. Those "real musicians" simply had to put in the work. "Neil Peart and Eddie Van Halen, they weren't locked in their bedroom playing video games for 12 hours a day," he says. "That **** didn't exist. They were locked in a room with their instruments."

On that note, Bach is off to do the same thing.

"I'm going down to the bus and I'm gonna sing for an hour and a half, and it's a day off," he says. "But I know how to do this, and my voice sounds better the more I sing properly, and I don't really take days off. I'll go do scales, and I'll just keep the throat goin' and keep the rock rollin'."

3. Vintage 1968

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/sammy-hagar-photos/

Some cool career photos in the above link showing the history of Sammy Hagar's career, including HSAS.

We're celebrating the long and winding career of Sammy Hagar with photos of him from 1973 to the present.

Born Oct. 13, 1947, Hagar formed his first band, the Fabulous Castilles, at age 14 and began pursuing a full-time musical career as soon as he graduated high school. He got his first big break as the singer for Montrose, whose 1973 self-titled debut album is cited as a big influence on bands like Iron Maiden, Motley Crue and Van Halen.
    After being fired from Montrose in 1975, Hagar launched a solo career, steadily building a following based on his reputation as a dynamic live performer. By the early '80s he became a bona fide star, filling arenas as a headlining act and releasing a string of successful albums and hit singles including "Your Love is Driving Me Crazy" and "I Can't Drive 55."

In 1985 music fans learned of David Lee Roth's split from Van Halen; Hagar was announced as his replacement and quickly put his stamp on the band's music. With the Red Rocker at the helm, they released four straight No. 1 albums while maintaining their status as one of rock's most popular live acts.

After an acrimonious 1996 breakup, Hagar charged right back into his solo career with successful albums such as 1997's Marching to Mars and 2000's Ten 13. In 2008 he formed Chickenfoot with longtime friend and Van Halen bandmate Michael Anthony, guitarist Joe Satriani and drummer Chad Smith.

Half a decade later, Anthony and Hagar created the Circle with drummer Jason Bonham and guitarist Vic Johnson. Following the 2020 death of Eddie Van Halen, the pair began adding more Van Halen song into their set lists. "I don't care how proud I am of my own stuff, I can't ignore [my time in Van Halen]," Hagar told UCR. "That's the biggest peak of my career. ... It's never gonna die, and we're not gonna let it."

Read More: Sammy Hagar Year by Year: Photos 1973-2021 | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/samm...edium=referral

4. Vintage 1968

Ex-TROUBLE Singer ERIC WAGNER's Solo Album, 'In The Lonely Light Of Mourning', To Receive Posthumous Release In March
    Cruz Del Sur Music will release legendary former TROUBLE singer Eric Wagner's posthumous solo album, "In The Lonely Light Of Mourning", in March 2022.

Recorded at Alpha Sound Services and Aardvark Recording, "In The Lonely Light Of Mourning" was completed and delivered to Cruz Del Sur Music a month before Eric's untimely passing. Initially scheduled for a November 2021 release, Cruz Del Sur Music — in cooperation with Eric's manager, Mike Smith — agreed to move the release date to March 2022 to give it the attention it deserves.

"It has been a great honor to have the chance to work with Eric," says Cruz Del Sur Music owner Enrico Leccese. "He has been a reference in my life since, as a fan, I bought his TROUBLE albums back in the 1980s. I must give WHILE HEAVEN WEPT's Tom Phillips 100 percent credit for Cruz Del Sur Music being able to release Eric's solo album. Eric really put all himself, his passion, his deepest emotions and his skills into this release. I must also thank Mike and Ron Holzner for the extremely mature talk we had after Eric's passing. His loss has been a tragic event and we hope that this album gives justice to his career."

The solo endeavor — a longtime goal of Eric's — serves as a fitting testament to one of doom metal's most respected voices. Eric tapped former TROUBLE/current BLACKFINGER drummer David Snyder to help him assemble the album's eight cuts. Along the way, Eric brought in some of his favorite musicians as guests — including past and present members of TROUBLE, BLACKFINGER, THE SKULL, LID, PENTAGRAM, DEATH ROW and PLACE OF SKULLS.

"In The Lonely Light Of Mourning" travels down Eric's hallowed, familiar doom roads, flanked by melancholic acoustic guitar arrangements. It makes for an album of color, depth and heaviness that will please fans of Eric's work. "I'd say this album is an amalgamation of TROUBLE, BLACKFINGER, LID and THE SKULL," says Phillips. "There's a little bit of each all swirled together. Basically, there's a little something for everyone!"

"He was excited about the songs," adds Snyder. "He and I worked on this project for a little over four years. It took that long, mostly because we did it over the phone. Either he would be in Chicago or New Mexico, and I'm in West Virginia, so I'd send him demo riffs, and if he liked something, he'd give me arrangement ideas, and I'd re-demo to fit his vision to place the lyrics. I already miss the process of working with him! Before Eric left for the last THE SKULL tour this summer, he told me about the record and said, 'It jams. I'm turning it into Cruz.'"

Smith says that if Eric was ever going to do a solo record, it would need to involve the people he's worked with — and some he hasn't. The wealth of guest musicians explains why he was particularly excited about having a "family reunion" that tapped into nearly every era of his storied career.

"We have guests representing every band Eric has worked with over the years, and even extended family member Victor Griffin, which really brings things full circle," says Smith. "This was not the original plan by any means, but as the process started to unfold, it became apparent that this was exactly how it should be. How it was meant to be."

Eric's THE SKULL and former TROUBLE bandmate Ron Holzner, guests on the album. Ron says "In The Lonely Light Of Mourning" was "more personal" to him than his BLACKFINGER and LID output, two albums that enabled the frontman to work outside of the boundaries of TROUBLE.

"The LID record [1997's 'In The Mushroom'] was a break from TROUBLE and his first tastes of freedom. The BLACKFINGER records were more of a sideband to express himself differently than THE SKULL. It's been a long journey lyrically for Eric and his story was coming towards the end. He sensed his time was short. The new record was his career coming full circle, in a sense. He included musicians from all his records and never intended this record to be a band. It was more a solo record than anything he ever did before. He needed to share his journey since this record was to be the end — he was contemplating retirement. The new THE SKULL record would be the epitaph to his story."

Eric's untimely passing this past August left behind a musical legacy that has influenced countless bands while providing comfort and solace for those impacted by his lyrics. Alongside CANDLEMASS, TROUBLE is arguably the most impactful post-BLACK SABBATH doom band. Their first four albums are undisputed classics, making Eric the solitary voice for the downtrodden and disaffected.

"There's no doubt that he will be rightly remembered as one of the most iconic voices of metal — not just doom metal considering he had the power to traverse anything he sang over from psychedelic to somber, from acoustic tenderness to bone-crushing metal," says Phillips. "Of course, he'll always be tied to the legacy of TROUBLE and thus, considered by nearly everyone — including myself — as one of the founding fathers of the doom metal genre. But for those who knew him, we'll also never forget his laid-back personality, sense of humor and 'Eric-isms.' It's a staggering and totally unnecessary loss, but he lived by his own rules and spent 2021 doing all of the things he loved doing the most, so there's some solace in that."

"He did what he wanted, said what he wanted, lived like he wanted and wrote what he wanted…his way," says Holzner. "He touched a lot of souls with his life and death."

"He was a friend to everyone he met," adds Snyder. "He always would hang out with fans and, through his music, helped a lot of people through tough times, including myself. His lyrics were always thought-provoking and his voice was one of a kind. When you heard it, you knew it was Eric Wagner! Ultimately, his legacy to me is his work with TROUBLE. I am eternally grateful to have been close to him at times, to have finished this record and to have worked with what many call the 'Godfather of Doom.'"

"Eric was a dear friend, and I miss him immensely," closes Smith. "This solo album became so much more than we initially expected, and I hope fans will be able to listen with open hearts and realize how lucky we all were to have Eric in our lives.

When Eric and I signed off on the album back in July and delivered it to Cruz Del Sur Music, Eric said something I will never forget: 'If this were to be my last one, it's a perfect final chapter to the story.'"

"In The Lonely Light Of Mourning" track listing:

01. Rest In Place
    02. Maybe Tomorrow
    03. Isolation
    04. If You Lost It All
    05. Strain Theory
    06. Walk With Me To The Sun
    07. In The Lonely Light Of Mourning
    08. Wish You Well
    Name:  ericwagnerlonely.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  51.7 KB

5. Vintage 1968

Ex-JOURNEY Singer STEVE PERRY Shares 'Winter Wonderland' From His Holiday Album 'The Season'
    Iconic singer-songwriter Steve Perry has shared "Winter Wonderland", from his forthcoming holiday album "The Season", out November 5 via Fantasy Records. Watch the animated video below. The track is the second song to be unveiled from the inspired and joyous new record, and marks the first-ever Christmas album from the beloved rock legend.

Perry's interpretation of "Winter Wonderland" captures the song's timelessness, while simultaneously putting his own personal spin on the track. Perry's signature vocals are on full display, set against a smooth and steady tempo and warm harmonies. Perry comments: "'Winter Wonderland' is one of my favorite tracks on 'The Season'. I have always felt a close love for Motown's music and how it shaped my early school years. This track is a homage to that."

"The Season" features exuberant, new interpretations of holiday classics that hold significant meaning for Perry, along with millions across the globe. All eight tracks on the record come straight from the heart, transporting listeners to a familiar place of comfort and familiarity associated with loved ones and meaningful traditions shared during the holidays.

It's fitting that Perry also works tirelessly on charitable efforts close to his heart as the holiday season approaches. In September he partnered with the San Francisco Giants/The Giants Community Fund on a specialty car auction. The online auction, organized by the Fund's car donation partner, CARS, featured Perry's beloved 1979 Mercedes 450SL, along with a custom-made touring tuxedo tails jacket worn by Perry during past concert performances and an autographed copy of "The Season". The classic silver convertible was driven to many JOURNEY writing, recording, and rehearsal sessions.

The Giants Community Fund has been grateful for Perry's support for nearly 20 years. Sue Petersen, executive director, said: "Steve's not only an inspiration to Giants fans; he's a believer in the Fund's work and a dedicated friend and supporter. What a cool and creative way to share something personal with fans and help the community at the same time." Proceeds from the auction support the Junior Giants program, which provides a free, noncompetitive baseball and softball program for nearly 24,000 kids, ages 5-18 years old, in more than 85 leagues in underserved communities.

For Steve, the most vivid memories of holidays remind him of his grandmother's home. The sentiment is evident throughout the record, including the first track released ahead of the album, "I'll Be Home For Christmas". He explains: "When I was recording vocals for 'I'll be Home For Christmas' as I was singing 'Please have snow and mistletoe and presents under the tree.' I was emotionally thrown into standing in my grandmothers' house staring through the door that I always hung mistletoe on. And then I saw her beautiful Christmas tree in front of her living room window. I had to stop singing because it felt like I was really there ... I was a bit stunned… back home for Christmas is where everyone wants to be."

One of the most recognizable voices in rock and roll history, Perry has captivated generations with the sheer power of his range and extraordinary tone. One of Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers of All Time, he fronted JOURNEY during the band's most massively successful era, and gained entry into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Perry returned to music in 2018 with the release of his Fantasy album "Traces", which debuted at No. 4 on the Billboard album charts and No. 6 overall — a personal best for his solo work.

"The Season" track listing:

01. The Christmas Song
    02. I'll Be Home For Christmas
    03. Auld Lang Syne
    04. Winter Wonderland
    05. What Are You Doing New Year's Eve
    06. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
    07. Silver Bells
    08. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Perry credited his late girlfriend, psychologist Kellie Nash, who died more than eight years ago, with helping him want to sing again; she'd made him promise he wouldn't go back into isolation when she passed.

Perry dated Nash for nearly two years before she died in December 2012 after being diagnosed with breast cancer. He mourned for two years, and then began recording again.

Perry reunited with JOURNEY for the first time in years as they were inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in April 2017. The iconic singer appeared onstage with his former bandmates as they each gave speeches, but did not perform with the group later in the event.Name:  steveperrytheseason.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  104.6 KB

6. Vintage 1968

JUDAS PRIEST's IAN HILL Doesn't Rule Out Writing Memoir: 'It'll Probably Be About My Early Life'
    In a recent interview with Rockin' Metal Revival, JUDAS PRIEST guitarist Ian Hill was asked if he has any plans to write a book in the not-too-distant future. He responded: "We'll see. If I do, it'll probably be about my early life, I should imagine. Probably up until [singer] Rob [Halford] joined. Everything else has been cataloged by Rob and Ken [founding guitarist K.K. Downing], in slightly different ways. But all that's already been said, really. But the lead-up to all of that. I mean, there's some great instances, some funny instances — how I came to play bass guitar for starters; that's funny in itself."

Hill is the sole remaining original member of PRIEST, which formed in 1969. Halford joined the group in 1973 and guitarist Glenn Tipton signed on in 1974. Rob left PRIEST in the early 1990s to form his own band, then came back to PRIEST in 2003. Downing parted ways with the band in 2011, and was replaced by Richie Faulkner.

PRIEST's current touring lineup consists of Hill, Halford, guitarists Andy Sneap and Faulkner, and drummer Scott Travis.

Halford's autobiography, "Confess", was released in September 2020 via Hachette Books. It was written with Ian Gittins, co-writer of "The Heroin Diaries" by Nikki Sixx. In the book, Halford discusses in detail what it was like becoming the first metal icon to announce he is gay in 1998 during an MTV interview, despite knowing about his sexuality since he was 10. Although his bandmates and their management knew he was gay and were accepting, he was advised to be discreet given the macho hetero nature of the metal world. He also opens up about surviving sexual abuse, as well as his struggles with depression, substance abuse, sobriety, and the suicide of one of his former partners. He also talks about how his own suicide attempt in 1986 led him to the rehab program that saved his life.

Downing's own autobiography, "Heavy Duty: Days And Nights In Judas Priest", arrived in September 2018 via Da Capo Press. The book was co-written by the Scottish author and journalist Mark Eglinton, whose previous collaborations include "Official Truth, 101 Proof" with Rex Brown of PANTERA and "Confessions Of A Heretic" with BEHEMOTH's Adam "Nergal" Darski.

Asked by VintageRock.com if writing his autobiography provided him with a sense of closure concerning his time in JUDAS PRIEST, Downing replied: "Yeah, I think so. I guess it's the same with any long-term relationship — whether it's a husband or wife, or father or son or whatever — you spend enough time together, and idiosyncrasies show up. I guess there was no particular right or wrong — some people have more tolerance than others, and it takes a bloody miracle really to stay together for 40 years. Someone has to give. And it has to be give-and-take. But inevitably, it becomes a bit of an imbalance, and I like to think that democracy is always the best policy. And there wasn't enough of it there, I don't think."

Last year, Halford was asked by Sea Of Tranquility about the reason for Downing's relative absence from "Confess". He replied: "We did not steer of any avoidance, per se. We just talked about every aspect that we felt was important and useful to the book itself. So there was never, 'Oh, we won't talk about that person.' There was never any kind of dismissiveness for whatever reasons. So I think there's my answer."

JUDAS PRIEST's latest album, "Firepower", was released in March 2018 via Epic. Name:  ianhillsolojudaspriestsept2018_638.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  33.2 KB

7. Vintage 1968

STEVE HARRIS's BRITISH LION Pulls Out Of THE DARKNESS U.K. Tour, Cites 'Completely Unacceptable' Protocols
    Name:  britishlionbandoct2019_638.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  52.8 KB
    BRITISH LION, the side project of IRON MAIDEN bassist and founder Steve Harris, has withdrawn from the previously announced U.K. tour with THE DARKNESS, citing "completely unacceptable" tour "protocols."

THE DARKNESS' U.K. tour is scheduled to kick off on November 17 in Brighton and conclude on December 17 in London.

Earlier today, BRITISH LION released the following statement via social media: "Due to circumstances beyond our control BRITISH LION are really sad and disappointed to announce that we will not be able to participate in the tour with THE DARKNESS. Very recently we received their own protocols that are not Government protocols which are completely unacceptable to us. Therefore, we have no alternative but to withdraw from the tour."

BRITISH LION's second album, "The Burning", came out last year. Although a summer European tour in support of the LP couldn't go ahead last year as planned, BRITISH LION has now confirmed nine new European shows next summer. The band will appear at Finland's Rockfest, U.K.'s Download and Belgium's Graspop Metal Meeting festivals, and will make additional stops in the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Poland and Portugal.

BRITISH LION completed its first U.S. tour in January and February 2020.

"The Burning" was released on January 17, 2020 in digipack CD, double gatefold vinyl and digital download formats via Explorer1 Music (E1). The LP was recorded, engineered and mixed at Barnyard Studios by Tony Newton and produced by Steve Harris.

BRITISH LION comprises singer Richard Taylor, guitarists David Hawkins and Grahame Leslie, Harris on bass and keyboards, and drummer Simon Dawson.

Asked by the Tampa Bay Times what the itch is that BRITISH LION scratches that he doesn't get in his job with MAIDEN, Harris said: "I suppose playing small clubs and being close and personal with the audience. I love playing big places as well. I enjoy them all, and I'm very lucky that I can do them all. But also, it's clubs that I never played with MAIDEN, even in Europe. There's a famous club called the Milky Way in Amsterdam, which I managed to play with BRITISH LION, but I never did that with MAIDEN. There's places now that I'm going to be playing on this [U.S.] tour that I've never played before. So it's all new ground. It's a challenge. It's nice. I like a challenge." Due to circumstances beyond our control British Lion are really sad and disappointed to announce that we will not be able to participate in the tour with The Darkness. Very recently we received their own protocols that are not Government protocols which are completely unacceptable to us. Therefore, we have no alternative but to withdraw from the tour.

8. Vintage 1968

FRANK BELLO: PANTERA's DIMEBAG 'Will Forever Be Known As The Sixth Member Of ANTHRAX'

In a new interview with The Aquarian Weekly, ANTHRAX bassist Frank Bello was asked about all the PANTERA stories he chose to include in his memoir, "Fathers, Brothers, And Sons: Surviving Anguish, Abandonment, And Anthrax", which is due on November 2 via Rare Bird.

"These were my brothers," he said. "I still feel close to Dime [guitarist 'Dimebag' Darrell Abbott] and Vinnie [drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott] and all of the PANTERA guys, but Dime and Vinnie, specifically, were the best of the best. When I say people know PANTERA, they know the guys, but the real people that they were…. Dime and Vinnie were good-hearted people. They were the best of the best on Earth. They were just good people aside from the music stuff. They were good people that you wanted to talk with like we're talking right now, and every other word would have you laughing your *** off. The Abbott brothers were just great people from a great family.

"I remember we went on tour with PANTERA, and I don't even think I put this in the book," he continued. "We're on the road and we're having a ball, usually drinking, and it was insane. I remember we were going to have a Thanksgiving on the road. We were on tour and we couldn't all get home, so we, the band ANTHRAX, were just going to have it at some restaurant. Now, the guys from PANTERA — Vinnie, Dime, and the rest of them — put together this great Thanksgiving dinner for all of us — PANTERA and ANTHRAX, all crews and everybody involved with the tour — and it was one of the most fun times I ever had in my life because it was great food, great people, music, and it was family. That's why when I talk about PANTERA, that's family. As much as my family is, PANTERA is family because we had those times together. They made us have a specific dinner. They knew we were away from home. We were in Dallas and we had this great dinner. They're the best of the best. Top notch — nothing will every touch them. Dime will forever be known as the sixth member of ANTHRAX because he played on so many records with us."

Back in 2012, ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian stated about Abbott: "[Dimebag's] one of the few people on the planet I've ever seen that was able to drink the way he drank starting at 5 in the afternoon and then get onstage at 9, 9:30 and still rip it up. It just made him loose," King agreed. "It got him in the vibe to play."

Ian also explained why his time with Dimebag was more booze-soaked than any regular old alcohol-fueled metal tour. "My normal rules went out the window when I played with those guys," he said. "I would try to keep it to a minimum and say, 'I'm not doing more than three shots with you before I play.' But then they're walking onstage and handing me drinks in the middle of a set or pouring 'em down your throat. Any time I toured with those guys was the drunkest I've been in my life."

Ian also recalled hitting a strip club with several other metal musicians, including members of KISS and MÖTLEY CRÜE. "I do remember a night in New York where randomly, somehow Frankie, Vinnie Paul, Darrell, Tommy Lee and Gene Simmons all ended up together at [the strip club] Scores. We ended up in a private room and for three or four hours I'm sitting next to Dime with a stripper on my lap constantly. There never wasn't a girl on my lap and there was always someone refilling my drinks. I remember saying to somebody afterward, 'Who paid for that? What did we do?' And the next day in the New York Post I saw a story, 'Tommy Lee dropped 28 grand at Scores last night.' So I guess I owe Tommy a thank you."

"Dimebag" Darrell Abbott was shot to death along with three others during a DAMAGEPLAN performance at the Alrosa Villa nightclub in Columbus, Ohio in December 2004.

Dimebag was posthumously inducted into the Hollywood RockWalk in May 2007 in a ceremony attended by Vinnie Paul, their father Jerry Abbott and Dimebag's longtime girlfriend, Rita Haney, along with members of ALICE IN CHAINS, ANTHRAX, KISS, SLAYER and Ozzy Osbourne's band.

Vinnie Paul died in June 2018 at the age of 54 in his sleep at his home in Las Vegas. The official cause of death was dilated cardiomyopathy, an enlarged heart, as well as severe coronary artery disease. He was buried next to his brother and their mother, Carolyn, at Moore Memorial Gardens cemetery in Arlington, Texas.
    Name:  frankbellomemoirfull.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  60.2 KB

9. Vintage 1968

BLACK SABBATH's GEEZER BUTLER Explains Why He Never Swears
    In the latest episode of the "On The RAGS" podast, Gloria Butler, the wife of BLACK SABBATH's Geezer Butler, and her co-hosts Risa Shapiro, Amy Motta and Sloan Kivo talked to the legendary bassist about life, recreation and inspiration. Asked why he never swears, Geezer said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "When I was a kid, 'cause I had very, very strict Irish Catholic parents. There were seven kids in the house. None of us were ever allowed to swear. And so when I went out the house, I used to have the worst mouth in the street on me. And this one day I was calling everybody all these swear words and everything, and somebody complained about my language, and the police came to frighten me, to the house. My dad belted the hell out of me with his leather belt. That's what stopped me swearing. And he said to me, 'It makes you sound really, really ignorant, 'cause only thick people swear because they can't think of a proper English word to say.' That stuck in my mind. And when I went to swear, I'd think of a different word. And it expanded my vocabulary."

As for how he got his famous nickname, Geezer, whose real name is Terry, explained: "It came because when I was at school, my brother was in the army, and he was based with a lot of Cockneys. And people in London call everybody a 'geezer.' [It means] just a man — like, 'Hello, mate.' It's just like somebody calling you 'dude' over here [in America]. In England, it'd be 'geezer.' So my brother used to come home from leave from the army, and he'd be going, 'Hello, geezer. How are you, geezer?' And so because I had looked up to my brother when I was about seven years old, I'd go to school calling everybody a geezer. And so that's how I got cursed with it."

A founding member of BLACK SABBATH, Geezer is also the lyricist of such SABBATH classics as "War Pigs", "Iron Man", "Paranoid" and others.

Geezer, singer Ozzy Osbourne and guitarist Tony Iommi reunited in late 2011 and released a comeback album, "13", in June 2013.

In February 2017, SABBATH finished "The End" tour in Birmingham, closing out the quartet's groundbreaking 49-year career.

"The End" was SABBATH's last tour because Iommi, who was diagnosed with cancer in 2012 and is currently in remission, can no longer travel for extended amounts of time.

Seven months ago, Geezer confirmed to Cleveland.com that he is writing a memoir.

Hosted by Risa, Amy, Gloria and Sloan (the RAGS), "On The RAGS" features four extraordinary women from diverse backgrounds with unique insight into business, politics, family and entertainment. Their viewpoints, while often serious, are more often hilarious.
    Name:  geezerbutleroct2021gloria_638.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  32.8 KB

10. Vintage 1968

ZAKK WYLDE Is 'Beyond Honored' To Be Playing Alongside ERIC CLAPTON And JEFF BECK On New OZZY OSBOURNE Album
    Ozzy Osbourne recently confirmed that 15 songs have been recorded for his upcoming follow-up to 2020's "Ordinary Man" album. He is once again working with producer Andrew Watt on the "work-in-progress" LP, which will include guest appearances by Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Tony Iommi and Zakk Wylde.

Asked about his contributions to the new Ozzy LP, Zakk told Music Radar: "The new Ozzy stuff is sounding great. And for sure, it's an honor to play on a record with all my heroes. It's pretty cool… I can't wait for everyone to hear it. I've always loved 'Blow By Blow' and 'Wired', but honestly, every record Jeff Beck has put out is amazing."

Wylde went on to say that Beck "definitely sounds slamming" on the upcoming Ozzy album. "The same goes for all the guys — what Tony Iommi played, and then Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck, it's all killer, for sure. On those tracks I'm playing rhythm guitar for my heroes… it's crazy! It sounds awesome and I'm beyond honored to be doing it."

Earlier in the month, Ozzy told Metal Hammer magazine that his new album will be "similar in tone to 'Ordinary Man', but I can't describe it completely. I've not heard it for a while because it keeps going over to the next person to add their parts — we're ****ing around with it all the time," he said.

Watt connected with Osbourne after meeting Ozzy's daughter Kelly at a friend's party and pitching her on the idea of Post Malone and Ozzy collaborating together.

Six months ago, Ozzy told U.K.'s Metal Hammer magazine that he and Andrew had completed more than a dozen for his next studio LP. "My only concern right now is finishing the bloody thing," he said. "We've got the same production time as the last time, so there's definitely going to be some similarities. But you'll just have to wait and see what you think."

In December 2020, Watt told Guitar World that he and the BLACK SABBATH legend were "halfway through" the new LP. "There's some songs on there that are like eight or nine minutes long that are these really crazy journeys. I'm really excited about it," he said.

Like "Ordinary Man", which featured Watt on guitar, Duff McKagan (GUNS N' ROSES) on bass and Chad Smith (RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS) on drums, Ozzy's next album will feature guest appearances by a number of other notable musicians. "There's a bunch of people involved," Andrew told Guitar World. "I can't say for sure until the end, but I started doing a bunch of basic tracks with Chad and Robert Trujillo [METALLICA], who used to play in Ozzy's band. And Taylor Hawkins [FOO FIGHTERS] also came in and played a bunch on the record as well, which adds a different flair — it kind of harkened back to Ozzy's '80s era, in a great way. And I think it's so cool for a rock fan to be able to listen to half an album with Chad Smith on drums, and then you flip it over and you get to hear Taylor Hawkins. And you know, the last album was really special for everyone involved. And so there was no point in Ozzy or me doing this again unless we thought we could bring something new to the table. And I feel like we're achieving that."

Wylde, who has played with Ozzy on and off for nearly 35 years, told Classic Rock that he wasn't disappointed to be excluded from "Ordinary Man". "Not at all," he said. "I thought he and Andrew Watt did a great job. And I'm not on the new one either. Again it's Ozz and Andrew. I understand why I'm not in the studio. Ozz once said to me that he didn't want to be the lead singer in BLACK LABEL SOCIETY: 'You have your own thing now, so go to it.'

"I don't have to be involved in everything Ozz does. I'll always be there for him and Sharon. If they call now and ask me to go over to feed their dogs for three days… I'm there."

This past April, Zakk told SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation With Eddie Trunk" that he checked out some of the songs on "Ordinary Man" and liked what he heard. "It came out cool," he said. "I saw the videos and everything like that. It's cool, man. And Andrew and everything like that — yeah, it was rocking."Name:  ozzyosbournezakkwyldemarkweisspromo_638.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  41.2 KB

11. Vintage 1968

GIL MOORE Says It Was 'A Good Decision' To Split Songwriting Credits Equally In TRIUMPH

In a brand new interview with Let's Rock, drummer Gil Moore of Canadian rock legends TRIUMPH discussed the band's decision to split its songwriting credits equally between the three members of the group. He said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "There were various contributions at various times, and we also knew that we all had sort of a role to play. So, for example, [bassist] Mike Levine was, from day one, and still is to this day, really functioned as not just a musician but also a producer. In today's world of Drake and Justin Bieber, a producer is a writer of sorts. So maybe we were forecasting that value on to a producer.

"We looked at a lot of the production techniques or the producer guidance commentary — call it what you will — to be creatively as important sometimes as what chords you're playing or what lyrics you're singing," he explained. "It's almost like looking at it through the lens of rhythm — there's no provision for rhythm being part of writing, and yet we knew that in a rock band, especially a three-piece one, how incredibly important the rhythm is. So I think at a certain point — it was after [1979's] 'Just A Game' — when we kind of talked about how do you really assign who contributed what to a song. It was difficult. So we just decided, you know what? Whether one person is more instrumental in a certain song or not that we just would take credit, and individual credit would go the way of the dodo bird and we would just take credit as a band. I think it was a good decision, just for band unity and not having to really be concerned with credit. There's so much effort that goes into a three-piece band, and everybody's doing so much, it's hard to keep track of the little bits and pieces. So that's how we operated."

Moore also touched upon the importance of drumming in rock music, arguing that some drummers' contributions are significant enough to warrant a songwriting credit.

"RUSH is a great group, obviously," he said. "If you take Neil [Peart] — rest in peace; great guy [and an] unbelievable drummer — and if you were to take him out of RUSH and insert someone else, or listen to the band with [original RUSH drummer] John Rutsey playing drums or whatever, you realize, yeah, the songs really change. When you change him, you're changing a lot. And I think the same thing would happen if you were to switch out Alex [Lifeson] or you were to switch out Geddy [Lee], you'd find the same thing. 'Cause those guys were all such a piece of the signature of that band. And most bands are like that.

"Look, with THE [ROLLING] STONES, having Charlie [Watts] pass away a few weeks ago, and you go, 'Well, there's a lot of guys that can play Charlie Watts's parts.' No — not so much," he continued. "Just try. I don't care who it is. There's a certain signature to Charlie's playing that's unmistakeable. People would tend to think it would be easy to replicate simply because his concepts of percussion were sparse, but it's not easy to change out that. Whatever that secret sauce or that signature that he has is, it's pretty difficult to [replicate]."

The first-ever feature documentary about TRIUMPH's dramatic career, "Triumph: Rock & Roll Machine" (changed from the working title of "Triumph: Lay It On The Line"), received its world premiere last month at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF). Produced by Emmy and Peabody award-winning Banger Films, it is a Crave original documentary that was previously described as "a celebratory, exhilarating thrill ride through the history of one of rock's most unsung acts."

Moore, Levine, and guitarist/vocalist Rik Emmett formed TRIUMPH in 1975, and their blend of heavy riff-rockers with progressive odysseys, peppered with thoughtful, inspiring lyrics and virtuosic guitar playing quickly made them a household name in Canada. Anthems like "Lay It On The Line", "Magic Power" and "Fight The Good Fight" broke them in the USA, and they amassed a legion of fiercely passionate fans. But, as a band that suddenly split at the zenith of their popularity, TRIUMPH missed out on an opportunity to say thank you to those loyal and devoted fans, a base that is still active today, three decades later.

Back in 2016, Moore and Levine reunited with Rik as special guests on the "RES 9" album from Emmett's band RESOLUTION9.

After 20 years apart, Emmett, Levine and Moore played at the 2008 editions of the Sweden Rock Festival and Rocklahoma. A DVD of the historic Sweden performance was made available four years later. Name:  gilmooreoct2021_638.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  40.7 KB
    Last edited by dudme; 10-21-2021 at 04:48 PM.

12. Vintage 1968

Blackie puts on one heck of a show!
    Dudley

W.A.S.P. Announces 40th-Anniversary World Tour Name:  blackielawlesswaspforce2019_638.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  33.2 KB
    June 6, 2022 marks the 40th anniversary of one of the most infamous, notorious, controversial heavy metal bands in the world… W.A.S.P. So join W.A.S.P. for this very special 40th-anniversary world tour that kicks off in Milan, Italy on March 18, 2022. This first leg of dates will see the band hit Italy, Spain, Ireland, North Ireland, United Kingdom, Scotland, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Germany, Romania and Bulgaria. More dates and a U.S. tour will be announced.

W.A.S.P. leader Blackie Lawless states about the tour: "For the W.A.S.P. 40th-anniversary world tour, we're going back to the beginning. We're taking the show back to where it all started. Complete with all the fire and all the blood that shocked the world the first time. We only did this type of show on the first world tour and never did it again…until now! I'm gonna scream and I'm gonna bleed, 'cause I wanna be somebody! We're taking everybody back…back to the beginning!"

W.A.S.P. "40 Years Live" world tour 2022:

Mar. 18 - Milan, Live Club
    Mar. 19 - Padova, Padova Hall
    Mar. 23 - Bilbao, Santana 27
    Mar. 24 - Murcia, Sala Gamma 3

June 6, 2022 marks the 40th anniversary of one of the most infamous, notorious, controversial heavy metal bands in the world… W.A.S.P. So join W.A.S.P. for this very special 40th-anniversary world tour that kicks off in Milan, Italy on March 18, 2022. This first leg of dates will see the band hit Italy, Spain, Ireland, North Ireland, United Kingdom, Scotland, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Germany, Romania and Bulgaria. More dates and a U.S. tour will be announced.

W.A.S.P. leader Blackie Lawless states about the tour: "For the W.A.S.P. 40th-anniversary world tour, we're going back to the beginning. We're taking the show back to where it all started. Complete with all the fire and all the blood that shocked the world the first time. We only did this type of show on the first world tour and never did it again…until now! I'm gonna scream and I'm gonna bleed, 'cause I wanna be somebody! We're taking everybody back…back to the beginning!"

W.A.S.P. "40 Years Live" world tour 2022:

Mar. 18 - Milan, Live Club
    Mar. 19 - Padova, Padova Hall
    Mar. 23 - Bilbao, Santana 27
    Mar. 24 - Murcia, Sala Gamma 3
    Mar. 25 - Barcelona, Razzmatazz 1
    Mar. 26 - Madrid, La Riviera
    Mar. 30 - Dublin, Vicar St.
    Mar. 31 - Belfast, Ulster Hall
    Apr. 01 - Wolverhampton, KK's Steel Mill
    Apr. 02 - Manchester, Academy
    Apr. 03 - Nottingham, Rock City
    Apr. 05 - Glasgow, O2 Academy
    Apr. 06 - Newcastlee, O2 City Hall
    Apr. 07 - Bristol, O2 Academy
    Apr. 08 - London, Rou-House
    Apr. 09 - Eindhoven, Effenaar
    Apr. 10 - Copenhagen, Amager Bio
    Apr. 12 - Malmö, Moriskan
    Apr. 13 - Huskvarna, Folkets Park
    Apr. 14 - Sundsvall, Sporthallen
    Apr. 15 - Umeå, Idun
    Apr. 16 - Oulu, Teatria
    Apr. 17 - Tampere, Pakkahuone
    Apr. 18 - Helsinki, Kulttuuritalo
    Apr. 20 - Gävle, Gasklockan
    Apr. 21 - Eskilstuna, Lokomotivet
    Apr. 22 - Örebro, Conventum
    Apr. 23 - Karlstad, Nöjesfabriken
    Apr. 25 - Oslo, Rockefeller
    Apr. 28 - Stockholm, Stora Fållan
    Apr. 29 - Norrköping, Arbis
    Apr. 30 - Gothenburg, Trädgårn
    May 01 - Bremen, Aladin
    May 02 - Mannheim, Capitol
    May 04 - Saarbrücken, Garage
    May 05 - Oberhausen, Turbinenhalle
    May 07 - Geiselwind, Music Halle
    May 08 - Munich, Backstage Werk
    May 17 - Bucharest, Arenele Romane
    May 18 - Sofia, Universidada Sports Hall

Few bands in the history of rock 'n' roll have ever incited the love, the hate, the raw emotional effect this band has had on the world. From the very beginning, in the small venues of Los Angeles, California, and later to the numerous countries worldwide that banned these winged assassins from performing live, the band's unique style of shock and rock caused religious organizations, local city councils, parlaments, and the Washington D.C. Senate to hold hearings in an effort to bar this group from selling records and trashing stages everywhere they played.

The band's founding member, Blackie Lawless, has led the group as its lead vocalist and primary songwriter since its beginning. His unique brand of visual, social and political comment took the group to worldwide heights and sold millions of records alongside a legacy of sold out shows across the globe for four decades.

Joined by bassist Mike Duda and guitarist Doug Blair, whose tenures in the band span 26 and 18 years respectively, along with drummer extraordinaire Aquiles Priester, Lawless will take the band and the fans back to where it all started. Complete with the stage show extravaganza that many fans never saw live.
    Name:  wasp2022tourposter.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  103.9 KB