Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    I'm looking at that bracket and, on an 8-lug shell like that one, I'm not sure why they wouldn't have used the lug screws. A mystery for the ages...
    It's probably because the lugs and screws were already engineered and fabricated so it wasn't worth the investment to modify the standard parts, or to stock new ones just for this experimental line.

MM
    2016 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5.5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

2. Now With More "Whiz"

Oddly enough, I just picked up a very rough Vari-Pitch kit. Has an older chrome wrap that apparently is actual metal and laden with surface rust. The wraps are starting to peel off, but the shells are intact. Trying to decide what to do with it as I don't want to sink a ton of cash into it, but I want to try to preserve its history. Based on its condition, I'd expect Oscar the Grouch to pop out of the top of one of the toms...

Looked into some traditional wraps, but thinking maybe I should see if someone would do an "R2D2esque" design (though I'm not much of a Star Wars fan) or just go with a plastic mirror chrome wrap.

Also, the kit came with a Ludwig "Ghost" pedal. I believe that "Ghost" was bought by Ludwig in the late '70s or early '80s. It also is in somewhat rough shape and I have no use for it, but if anyone is a Ghost aficionado and has a need for it (looks like they go for anywhere from $50 - $90 on fee-bay or Reverb), drop me a PM. I'd be willing to donate it to a good cause.

This image doesn't really show the degree of rust, but it's the best I have at the moment.

Name:  Varipitch.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  14.3 KB

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post
    Oddly enough, I just picked up a very rough Vari-Pitch kit. Has an older chrome wrap that apparently is actual metal and laden with surface rust. The wraps are starting to peel off, but the shells are intact. Trying to decide what to do with it as I don't want to sink a ton of cash into it, but I want to try to preserve its history. Based on its condition, I'd expect Oscar the Grouch to pop out of the top of one of the toms...

Looked into some traditional wraps, but thinking maybe I should see if someone would do an "R2D2esque" design (though I'm not much of a Star Wars fan) or just go with a plastic mirror chrome wrap.

Also, the kit came with a Ludwig "Ghost" pedal. I believe that "Ghost" was bought by Ludwig in the late '70s or early '80s. It also is in somewhat rough shape and I have no use for it, but if anyone is a Ghost aficionado and has a need for it (looks like they go for anywhere from $50 - $90 on fee-bay or Reverb), drop me a PM. I'd be willing to donate it to a good cause.

This image doesn't really show the degree of rust, but it's the best I have at the moment.
    I would image that any drum shop or drum maker could rewrap the shells for you. The black trim is also easy to find and could be replaced. It would be good to take the whole it apart to get the dust out of thte mounts and to clean up the rims.

MM
    2016 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5.5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT