Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 24 of 24
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousRJD View Post
    Glad to see the positive feedback. Best I can tell from examining and sampling these kits is that they are quality all-around and an interesting approach in terms of materials. I was just a little surprised by the lack of "chat" here on the forum about them compared to other series but being that they aren't an inexpensive choice I guess they aren't as common as some of Pearl's other offerings.
    As higher end kits, they aren't as common and most of the retailers can't afford to keep them on the floor, so people don't have as much experience with them.

    One of the great things about the release of the RFP kits is the SL- hardware that comes with them (which is modular). I've done a lot of custom work with my MW kits because of the flexibility of the RFP hardware.

    MM
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

  2. Pearl Corporation USA

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Pearl Corporation U.S.A. Nashville, TN
    Posts
    27,509

    Default

    We sell quite a few reference and reference pure kits.

    We also sell them under our Music City Custom Series - made to order, CNC machine-drilled and hand assembled at our Pearl HQ in Nashville TN - - - (Both Reference / Reference pure and MRV Masters Maple Reserve 4-ply 100% maple with re-rings) if you want them in-stock ready to ship (wrapped) vs special ordered lacquered.
    Last edited by AL PERCIVAL; 12-04-2017 at 11:18 AM.


    KISS uses Gibson Guitars and PEARL Drums because They Want The Best!

    PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    114

    Default

    I picked up a RFP a couple months ago. It's a nice kit. Its the only kit I own that actually sounds good with coated G2's on it. I think the varying wood combinations along with the sharp edges on the small toms and the fat round-overs on the floors make for a very nice balance of singing toms with thunderous floor toms.

    Build quality is very nice. The finished interiors are a nice touch, though I wish they would have finished the edges as well. Tuning the rack toms is a bit tough because the optimounts have such a tight grip on the tension rods that you cant get the head seated and hand tightened first. It just takes a little bit more time to get the tension equal. Floor toms and bass tune up real easy. Overall, build quality is on par with other high end kits (DW Collectors, Yamaha Recording Custom, etc).

    I have the 1030 tom arms and they are cool, but they are really expensive. I also wish the memory locks would fit in to the Optimount housing after you have tightened the mount to the pipe, but alas they don't. So you get to play a little game of "get the tom in place, hold it there, slide the memory lock in position, tighten it down, then tighten the optimount, check to make sure its still good, and repeat the process if more adjustments are required." Its little things like this that can be annoying. Once its all in place things are fine, but because the tom arm's movement is independent of the tom's rotation on the arm, you need to have everything loose to get full adjustment of the tom's position. This is just a comment on Pearl's tom mounting system and not a RFP specific comment.

    EDIT: If I had a choice on a wrapped finish, I would try to get the Ice Blue Oyster finish. Such a pretty color:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3T...dertonsMusicCo.
    Last edited by Tommy_D; 12-04-2017 at 11:25 AM.

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Well, I am lucky enough to have a great drum shop very close to me so I have had a chance to see all of these up close and right next to every other brand. The quality of detail on these are fantastic.

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Funny, I just watched that Anderton's video last night and that is a pretty killer finish.

  6. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    I picked up a RFP a couple months ago. It's a nice kit. Its the only kit I own that actually sounds good with coated G2's on it. I think the varying wood combinations along with the sharp edges on the small toms and the fat round-overs on the floors make for a very nice balance of singing toms with thunderous floor toms.

    Build quality is very nice. The finished interiors are a nice touch, though I wish they would have finished the edges as well. Tuning the rack toms is a bit tough because the optimounts have such a tight grip on the tension rods that you cant get the head seated and hand tightened first. It just takes a little bit more time to get the tension equal. Floor toms and bass tune up real easy. Overall, build quality is on par with other high end kits (DW Collectors, Yamaha Recording Custom, etc).

    I have the 1030 tom arms and they are cool, but they are really expensive. I also wish the memory locks would fit in to the Optimount housing after you have tightened the mount to the pipe, but alas they don't. So you get to play a little game of "get the tom in place, hold it there, slide the memory lock in position, tighten it down, then tighten the optimount, check to make sure its still good, and repeat the process if more adjustments are required." Its little things like this that can be annoying. Once its all in place things are fine, but because the tom arm's movement is independent of the tom's rotation on the arm, you need to have everything loose to get full adjustment of the tom's position. This is just a comment on Pearl's tom mounting system and not a RFP specific comment.

    EDIT: If I had a choice on a wrapped finish, I would try to get the Ice Blue Oyster finish. Such a pretty color:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3T...dertonsMusicCo.
    Read this article, by the legend himself. You can adjust the Optimounts to maximize resonance.

    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...y-Gene-Okamoto

    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousRJD View Post
    Well, I am lucky enough to have a great drum shop very close to me so I have had a chance to see all of these up close and right next to every other brand. The quality of detail on these are fantastic.
    What were some of the other brands you got to play?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    86

    Default

    "Play" is probably overstating it...what I like to do is at least compare a single tom (in my case I am partial to 10" toms). So I sampled the 10" tom of Pearl (both Reference and Masters), DW (Performance and Collectors), Sonor, Ludwig (Classic and Keystone X), Yamaha and Gretsch. All slight variations but all good. However, like I said in one of the initial posts, something about the look of the Pearl kits kept drawing me in. I had also been at a clinic at this same drum shop a few weeks back and me and another person waiting for the clinic to start struck up a conversation about how nice the Pearl finishes were and how underrated we thought the Pearl Sensitone snares were (I, for one LOVE, my bronze sensitone).

    Anyway, I have been really drawn towards these Pearl kits and love that I am coming somewhat full circle as my first kit was Pearl (I still have it). More recently I have been playing a Natal Ash kit, 1up 2 down.

  8. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousRJD View Post
    "Play" is probably overstating it...what I like to do is at least compare a single tom (in my case I am partial to 10" toms). So I sampled the 10" tom of Pearl (both Reference and Masters), DW (Performance and Collectors), Sonor, Ludwig (Classic and Keystone X), Yamaha and Gretsch. All slight variations but all good. However, like I said in one of the initial posts, something about the look of the Pearl kits kept drawing me in. I had also been at a clinic at this same drum shop a few weeks back and me and another person waiting for the clinic to start struck up a conversation about how nice the Pearl finishes were and how underrated we thought the Pearl Sensitone snares were (I, for one LOVE, my bronze sensitone).

    Anyway, I have been really drawn towards these Pearl kits and love that I am coming somewhat full circle as my first kit was Pearl (I still have it). More recently I have been playing a Natal Ash kit, 1up 2 down.
    No Tama kits at your drum shop? Which line of Sonor did you check out?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  9. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Read this article, by the legend himself. You can adjust the Optimounts to maximize resonance.

    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...y-Gene-Okamoto
    Yeah, I checked that one out when I stripped the shells , cleaned/polished them all and put them back together. I don't think I have any resonance issues with them set up as described in the other thread, but I still need to do some final tuning on the drums and that may require some tweaking. My Recording Customs were like that. Tune them close, put them on the mount, then final tune them to get the resonance to come back.

  10. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Actually, they do have Tama.....and the Star kits are gorgeous and pricey. For Sonor it was ProLite and Vintage. I have a ProLite snare and love it but heard they may be phasing that line out.

  11. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousRJD View Post
    Actually, they do have Tama.....and the Star kits are gorgeous and pricey. For Sonor it was ProLite and Vintage. I have a ProLite snare and love it but heard they may be phasing that line out.
    I don't care for the Star kits, too rich for my blood. The Starclassic Maple and Bubinga, now that's a different story. They are worth a closer look. I really enjoy mine.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  12. Thwunk

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Love my Ref Pure kit, can't recommend it highly enough. Optimounts are great and come as standard with them. It'll definitely be worth investigating different head options to find exactly the sound you want, but overall these drums just have the most wonderful tone. I'm not a fan of DW and I've played a few. Would take Sonor over them any day...
    HHX hats, K crashes, K & Bosphorus rides
    Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 5.5x14 / Ludwig Black Beauty 5x14, COB Supraphonic 6.5x14 / Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition / Sonor D505
    Pearl Reference Pure (matte walnut) / SonorLite (Scandinavian birch)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •