Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Thinking of a Reference Pure kit

...but am a little alarmed at how little activity there is on the Reference Pure forum. Is there not a lot of popularity with this series? Makes me wonder if they will be phased out. They seem kick *** but are they just not selling?

Should I consider a DW Performance kit instead? Thoughts?

2. ...A mind like Water...

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousRJD View Post
    ...but am a little alarmed at how little activity there is on the Reference Pure forum. Is there not a lot of popularity with this series? Makes me wonder if they will be phased out. They seem kick *** but are they just not selling?

Should I consider a DW Performance kit instead? Thoughts?
    They are very popular. The problem is this forum isn't popular anymore. No one cares about it anymore. Also drummers and music is dying since electronic music and Justin beiber has taken over what music we have left. Drummers and good music are circling the drain. Go get a pure. It will make you very happy. Anything pearl makes is a perfect work of art. And if something is wrong they will make it right!
    Owner of two gorgeous Pearl Masters kits. Metal drummer, music and drums for life!

3. Registered User

Haha, you should say how you really feel. Honestly, these things look and sound gorgeous. It's funny, my old gigging kits was Pearl but for some reason they seemed to fall out of favour...maybe because they are so ubiquitous. However, everytime I go into my local drum shop, I get pulled into the Pearl section by how gorgeous these drums look.

I've been looking at everything in considering a new kit and just kept glancing at the Pearls. However, I'm feeling very much like I am going to get one of these well considered instruments.

4. Registered User

While I am on the topic...what are the best tom holders in Pearls arsenal that I would use for this kit?

5. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousRJD View Post
    While I am on the topic...what are the best tom holders in Pearls arsenal that I would use for this kit?
    While "best tom holders" is a touchy subject for some members on this forum (because some people are tired of Pearl's tom arms) they offer a 1030 series in either long or short... they'll run you $75 a pop.

As far as tom mounts, the Optimount continues to be Pearl's flagship offering, but that will come with whatever Reference drum you buy.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Registered User

Awesome, thanks for the help!

7. A Passion Play ...

Always nice to play a kit first but the pures are great drums and should be quite versatile.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

8. Registered User

Timmy?
    up yours

Pearl Session Studio Classic 22/13/16 - Pearl Power Piccolo Brass 13x5.5 - Bosphorus - Roland TD-12

9. Registered User

I have had my reference pure kit now for a couple of years and more importantly have been regularly tearing down and setting up the kit once a week for recording.
    I have used the kit for many different types of music and recordings and for me the kit does what i want it to do when i want and how i want, every time.
    I am extremely particular about tuning and overtones so with evans G2s on the toms i have got the no weird overtones or stray notes from either heads.
    As far as the hardware i mount my 10" and 12" as close as possible to the kick mounted on cymbal stands, given about an inch or so the toms have never touched the kick. All of the hardware has tightened and loosen up without any hassle (cant say that about the in-studio sakae hardware)
    As fare a popularity i think if you look around a little you maybe surprised at how many reference pure artist you'll find out there.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Sentiment View Post
    They are very popular. The problem is this forum isn't popular anymore. No one cares about it anymore. Also drummers and music is dying since electronic music and Justin beiber has taken over what music we have left. Drummers and good music are circling the drain. Go get a pure. It will make you very happy. Anything pearl makes is a perfect work of art. And if something is wrong they will make it right!
    A pure is an UPPER End Kit they sound great Go get one. it is a flagship production idea in terms of a drum set. The Forum is not as popular but it is still active and strong . Pearl probably reaches a bigger audience on Twitter but the real Gems of support is on this forum
    Session prestige select 14x 12 tom Shell with badge Teal available

Diamond Burst MMX 4 Sale Black hardware 12,14,16,22 PM

11. Registered User

I had a Reference Pure kit before Masterworks and was very happy with it (especially the fact that all of the elements of the drums were lighter).

My Masterworks kits are all now done in Reference Pure specs too.

MM
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

12. Registered User

Glad to see the positive feedback. Best I can tell from examining and sampling these kits is that they are quality all-around and an interesting approach in terms of materials. I was just a little surprised by the lack of "chat" here on the forum about them compared to other series but being that they aren't an inexpensive choice I guess they aren't as common as some of Pearl's other offerings.