Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Registered User

Wow! The GC website pics totally undersold the M-814X with S-017 strainer! I was expecting much worse, their photos did not do this drum justice. Neither do mine (yet!).
    It's Walnut lacquer and looks great! Piano Black would have looked better with the wrap that I have, but I can live with this finish.
    But, it's far too nice to strip and rewrap. I'm going to go to Lowe's in the morning and get some Johnson's Paste Wax, and leave it at that.
    We had a serious power issue at the house, and needed an electrician to replace our meter base today. We had no heat since sometime overnight until a couple of hours ago, so I'm beat today. The high was 15 degrees, it got to about 50 in the house. So I didn't really do anything yet.
    Here are some poor pictures, I'll clean all of the chrome and the strainer, and get some better ones soon.

Name:  M-814X-02.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  M-814X-01.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  M-814X-03.jpg
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  S-017 Strainer.jpg
Size:  54.8 KB
    Last edited by sksmith2500; 01-12-2018 at 07:46 PM.

2. Rockin' the Cosmos..

sweet .. I have same snare in natural maple lacquer minus the S-017
    80's Pearl G/M series in Emerald Forest WoodDye-10x8, 12x8, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, 22x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in CherryRoseWine WoodDye-12x8, 13x9, 15x12, 16x14, 18x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in factory Walnut Lacquer - 14x10, 18x16, 22x14, 26x14
    PDP Birch - 10, 14, 22

3. Registered User

I have no clue how the drum itself is so clean, and the lug screws / strainer screws can be so f'd up!
    Ran into a problem while disassembling. The large receiver on the strainer side of the parallel rod is held on with a hex set screw. This one is rusted solid, and I stripped the damn thing. The hex key, neither metric nor standard fit well to begin with. I'm going to have to take it to the garage tomorrow morning, after I run my wife to the airport, and drill it out, tap it, and get a new set screw.
    I'm also going to replace all of the lug screws. Some required persuasion with a small pair of Vice-Grips. The slots for the Philips heads stripped out with hardly any pressure.
    Some of the lugs seem to have been overtighted also, like what I found on the concert toms. I guess the screw receivers are pretty some metal on these old lugs.
    Here's a pic of the set screw and the condition of the lug / strainer screws.

Name:  M-814X Set Screw.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  M-814X Interior Original.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  37.1 KB

4. Registered User

I got the set screw out the other day, tapped it & picked up an M5X8 hex head set screw, so I'll be good to go shortly on the snare.
    The Iso-Loc mounts for the concert toms arrived today. They have a little tension rod that screws into the rubber mount that rides on the shell. Is that supposed to be like that, or am I missing something? Seem strange that a metal tension rod-head bolt would ride on the drum finish.....
    I took it out, for now, so I could take a few pics. I'm not a fan of Aquarian's dot size on the smaller toms.

Name:  Concert Toms Mounted 01.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  78.1 KB

Name:  Concert Toms Mounted 02.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  73.6 KB

Name:  Concert Toms Mounted 03.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  67.3 KB

5. Rockin' the Cosmos..

lookin' good ..
    80's Pearl G/M series in Emerald Forest WoodDye-10x8, 12x8, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, 22x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in CherryRoseWine WoodDye-12x8, 13x9, 15x12, 16x14, 18x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in factory Walnut Lacquer - 14x10, 18x16, 22x14, 26x14
    PDP Birch - 10, 14, 22

6. Registered User

Thanks BA!
    Well, the snare soldering was a complete failure.
    Now, to figure what snares the other cat used, where he just drilled out the rivets on a snare assembly that looks like a Super Sensitive.
    Gotta find that thread again.....

7. Registered User

Looks good, This kit is looking like a kit From Kiss in the 70's great resto mod
    WANTED MMX DIAMOND BURST 13"x 10" -could swap 14x11 PM ME

I give up! The Sizes and series I want to play Are not for sale used or ETC

Ready for Spring

8. Pearl does it for me

Steve I'm wondering if the Gibraltar SC-363E is an option (because it has 2 x 10 srands). I can't find any info on it's length, say you might have to talk to Gibraltar to find out.
    Speaking of Gibraltar, their FF style wires are the SC-4467L, 15" x 20 strand.

Stagg do something similar to the SC-363E:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STAGG-SNA...4383.l4275.c10

Both of these look more like what I used back then.

Nope they're not puresound, but hey, if it works, it works.

A way to hold the wires in place to stop wire movement and solder:
    http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=6252

Will post this up in the other 2 threads as well.
    Hope it helps...

9. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by sksmith2500 View Post
    I got the set screw out the other day, tapped it & picked up an M5X8 hex head set screw, so I'll be good to go shortly on the snare.
    The Iso-Loc mounts for the concert toms arrived today. They have a little tension rod that screws into the rubber mount that rides on the shell. Is that supposed to be like that, or am I missing something? Seem strange that a metal tension rod-head bolt would ride on the drum finish.....
    I took it out, for now, so I could take a few pics. I'm not a fan of Aquarian's dot size on the smaller toms.

Name:  Concert Toms Mounted 01.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  78.1 KB

Name:  Concert Toms Mounted 02.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  73.6 KB

Name:  Concert Toms Mounted 03.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  67.3 KB
    The Opti-lock mounts are intended to screw through one of the 2 air vents in an Export/Decade shell. For concert toms, your best option is either ISS mounts, or drilled shell mounts.
    Name:  pearl-opti-loc-halterung-opl-0608-6-8-kesseltiefe_1_DRU0032534-000.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  45.1 KB
    Pearl, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, NATAL and DW Snares
    Roland, Yamaha and Dauz Electronics, and loads of Percussion

3 Kits and 7 Snares, and I still don't have enough!