Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Mountain Man

Default Getting a basic live rig up and running; what do I need?

Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well! (I've been coming on here less since the app is down). Recently I met some pretty good dudes to get some cover songs going/play some parties and bar gigs. I picked up a really nice 8,10,12,16x14, 22x18 Gretsch Renown maple kit to keep in our practice space (I've always wanted one). I'll need to mic the kick and have that covered with a B52a, but I need some sort of speaker cabinet, as I want to be able to control my own levels and not be dependent on the band's PA. I'd like to keep it pretty basic so here is what I was thinking:
    Items I have:
    -B52A
    -8 channel unpowered mixer(not even sure if I need this)
    -assorted cables

Items I think I'll need:
    -some sort of speaker system/PA: I was thinking about the Simmons Electronic Drum Monitoring System since it's simple and modern
    -mic for snare
    -2 overhead mics

I look forward to you guys' always expert advice!
    -Scooter
    Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

2. Registered User

I figured you'd have an answer by now. Wish I could help. I'm running a vintage Peavey PA with 8 channels and 15" speakers in over sized cabinets. All basement dweller equilpment. Evans has that NEW 3 mic set up. 1 in the kick and two over heads. Maybe check it out.

Berringer makes a small more affordable PA. You can get different combo set ups. They offer everything you need packs. Head, speakers, monitors & boom mic stands + cables I believe.

Note: I have 0 experience with this brand. ^^^^

I was thinking of going that route at one time, but the giant dinosaur I run popped up one day on a local site and I only had to drive 20 mins ... Cash and carry.

3. Registered User

It's made by Sabian. I just realized I said Evans. It's at musiciansfriend.com but there's many route you can take.

4. Is this Illidan?

Quote Originally Posted by scooterdavis View Post
    Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well! (I've been coming on here less since the app is down). Recently I met some pretty good dudes to get some cover songs going/play some parties and bar gigs. I picked up a really nice 8,10,12,16x14, 22x18 Gretsch Renown maple kit to keep in our practice space (I've always wanted one). I'll need to mic the kick and have that covered with a B52a, but I need some sort of speaker cabinet, as I want to be able to control my own levels and not be dependent on the band's PA. I'd like to keep it pretty basic so here is what I was thinking:
    Items I have:
    -B52A
    -8 channel unpowered mixer(not even sure if I need this)
    -assorted cables

Items I think I'll need:
    -some sort of speaker system/PA: I was thinking about the Simmons Electronic Drum Monitoring System since it's simple and modern
    -mic for snare
    -2 overhead mics

I look forward to you guys' always expert advice!
    -Scooter
    If you have 1 mic, the volume is set through the PA. It doesn't make much sense to get any fancier than that with one mic. Overhead mics are an 'if needed' and you have to be careful. Set up improperly they will feedback like the dickens.

What is your end goal and where are you starting from PA wise?

5. Mountain Man

First, I guess I'd like my own setup. That's why I was thinking about getting the Simmons. End goal would be to mic kick and snare; toms if needed. I'd like to have control over my own sounds and levels if that makes any sense. I'm not even sure what they have as far as a PA; I've never looked at it!
    Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

6. Is this Illidan?

If your end goal is that, then you'd need a small submixer, mics and cables. You take your submixer outs to the board. Until you have a bunch of mics, taking the submixer is silly, so just hook the mic straight into the main board.

7. Registered User

GC has a Harbinger 4 channel PA with 10" speakers. Don't remember the watts. But it was like $129.00