Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Antelope Audio

  1. Is this Illidan?

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Calgary, AB Canada
    Posts
    9,827

    Default Antelope Audio

    Has anybody seen what these guys are doing? Pretty crazy stuff that I've seen. The new Discrete 8 and the Edge and Verge mics look pretty cool. Plus, to tape DSP handled interface side is kind of awesome. I was going to look at the Clarett 8Pre-x, but I think this may be the direction I head.

    http://antelopeaudio.com/

  2. a.k.a. YtseJam

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Posts
    1,184

    Default

    Proud to report they're made here in my country.

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    24,184

    Default

    I've worked with both the Orion and Orion + interfaces and they're rock solid and they sound great. I remember when the original Orion came out and I was baffled at how I could record 32 tracks at 96kHz/24-bit over USB 2.0 with no hitches! They did some really clever engineering to make that possible.

    I'm running a MOTU 16A myself. My long-term goal is to have a decent selection of outboard pres, so I was not interested in an interface with built-in preamps. The AVB line of interfaces from MOTU have top-notch converters and the price is really great. I noticed a pretty nice upgrade in my monitoring when I upgraded from my Apogee Duet 2.

  4. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
    I've worked with both the Orion and Orion + interfaces and they're rock solid and they sound great. I remember when the original Orion came out and I was baffled at how I could record 32 tracks at 96kHz/24-bit over USB 2.0 with no hitches! They did some really clever engineering to make that possible.

    I'm running a MOTU 16A myself. My long-term goal is to have a decent selection of outboard pres, so I was not interested in an interface with built-in preamps. The AVB line of interfaces from MOTU have top-notch converters and the price is really great. I noticed a pretty nice upgrade in my monitoring when I upgraded from my Apogee Duet 2.
    How much would it cost for an interface that could record 32 tracks simultaneously? I only really need 20-24, so if a smaller unit would handle 20-24, I would be interested in that?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  5. Is this Illidan?

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Calgary, AB Canada
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    How much would it cost for an interface that could record 32 tracks simultaneously? I only really need 20-24, so if a smaller unit would handle 20-24, I would be interested in that?
    http://en.antelopeaudio.com/products...udio-rev-2017/

    Although you need preamps in addition to...

  6. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gord The Drummer View Post
    http://en.antelopeaudio.com/products...udio-rev-2017/

    Although you need preamps in addition to...
    This makes me want to revisit the idea we were talking about before, which was recording my kit with far fewer mics. Gordon, how many mics do you think it would take to get a decent quality recording out of my new kit [15 drums and 20-24 cymbals] Do you think it could be pulled off with say, 2 kick, 1 snare, and 3 well-positioned overheads? Keep in mind, I just make silly YouTube videos, not studio recordings that should be scrutinized over.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  7. Is this Illidan?

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Calgary, AB Canada
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    This makes me want to revisit the idea we were talking about before, which was recording my kit with far fewer mics. Gordon, how many mics do you think it would take to get a decent quality recording out of my new kit [15 drums and 20-24 cymbals] Do you think it could be pulled off with say, 2 kick, 1 snare, and 3 well-positioned overheads? Keep in mind, I just make silly YouTube videos, not studio recordings that should be scrutinized over.
    Hmmm... it's an interesting question because there are some cool techniques I've seen with different mic types. If you have a lot of funds, you could reduce the number pretty dramatically, but with your setup I would add a few - You'll need a kick mic in all of the lower drums, including the gong bass. Not micing that would be a mistake IMO. You'll probably want a room mic as well. So your up to 5 with the snare assuming 1 snare mic. You could try for 3 overheads but some other options include using two mics, one in figure-8 patter and one not and they would be essentially perpendicular, but that's going to limit tom pickup. a modified ORTF with 3 mics might work. If you had a higher ceiling you might be able to do a spaced pair with some super fat LDCs, but I don't think that's an option.

    What kind of mics are you thinking of using/working with?

  8. a.k.a. YtseJam

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Posts
    1,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    This makes me want to revisit the idea we were talking about before, which was recording my kit with far fewer mics. Gordon, how many mics do you think it would take to get a decent quality recording out of my new kit [15 drums and 20-24 cymbals] Do you think it could be pulled off with say, 2 kick, 1 snare, and 3 well-positioned overheads? Keep in mind, I just make silly YouTube videos, not studio recordings that should be scrutinized over.
    I'd suggest you check out the recent Gavin Harrison video on Drumeo, where he talks about this - the different approaches to drum mixing. It's very interesting and he provides some awesome insight, being the super drummer he is.

  9. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gord The Drummer View Post
    Hmmm... it's an interesting question because there are some cool techniques I've seen with different mic types. If you have a lot of funds, you could reduce the number pretty dramatically, but with your setup I would add a few - You'll need a kick mic in all of the lower drums, including the gong bass. Not micing that would be a mistake IMO. You'll probably want a room mic as well. So your up to 5 with the snare assuming 1 snare mic. You could try for 3 overheads but some other options include using two mics, one in figure-8 patter and one not and they would be essentially perpendicular, but that's going to limit tom pickup. a modified ORTF with 3 mics might work. If you had a higher ceiling you might be able to do a spaced pair with some super fat LDCs, but I don't think that's an option.

    What kind of mics are you thinking of using/working with?
    I was going to go with Audix mics, but I would consider others if it meant I could use fewer mics and a less expensive mixer/interface. I want nice sound, but the notion of "diminishing returns" keeps pinching me in the neck. It seems wasteful for me to spend thousands on mics and recording equipment when I might record a drum cover using a drumless MP3 recorded at 128 kbps.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •