Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Is it possible to convert the rack tom mount to an Optimount

Hey guys, I want to know if I can add an Optimount to my rack tom. The reason why I want to do this is because
    I want to suspend my tom on a cymbal stand. Iím going to make this possible by using the existing tube mount, and a clamp to attach to the cymbal stand. Another reason why I want to do this is because the tube mount chokes my tom. I notice a huge difference in sound whenever I take off the tube mount. What do you guys think? Is it worth it?
    Pearl, Wuhan, Vic Firth, Evans and Remo, and Vater practice pad.

I want some Zildjians.

2. What's in YOUR stickbag?

yea...buy an optimount and remove the mount from the tom. I believe you can still get the cover plates. I did something similar to my old '97 Export Select...but with ISS brackets (it was done pre-optimount). And I swapped out the ISS brackets on my 2008 VMX with optimounts. I "needed" the cover plates for the Export Select to cover the hole, but not the VMX (since it came with ISS brackets already).

3. bangin since '95

Opti's will work on literally any drum as long is it's the same size. Honestly, my old Forum kit sounds fine with the mount drilled into it. I suppose you do lose a little bit of resonance, but I've never had any complaints about it. But I also didn't mount it to the kick either.

If they're using that Yamaha YESS mount style on the Roadshow that they're using on the Exports now, I'd probably just leave it and save yourself $50-75. They're not bad mounts, but the thing with the YESS mount is that you can control how much resonance you want by how far you mount it onto the rod. I would imagine the Roadshow/Export mounts working in similar fashion. Honestly the Optimounts are the only thing I don't really like about Pearl drums. The DW STM mount and Tama Star-Casts I believe are more ergonomic and better at doing their job. But it's still a solid mount as far as isolation mounts are concerned.

But if you do decide to go that route, the Optimount will indeed work, and since the Roadshow's are already pretty impressive drums at their pricepoint, hopefully it will give you the sound you're looking for.

*Edit*

Actually after looking at it, it's the same style direct drill mount that Pearl was using on the Forums and old Exports. In this instance, I might actually recommend the Opti or simliar iso mount. My bad there
    Last edited by LeftySlammer92; 11-13-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads