Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Is this Illidan?

Default Parallel Compression Ideas

Found this video from Waves on the SSL series effects, but the video talks about how he uses and sets up compression. In addition, he demonstrates the effect quite clearly: https://www.waves.com/bundles/ssl-40...y-maserati-ssl

2. Experienced Noob

Nice video. I'm surprised at the waveforms in his mix. He sure doesn't seem to be a big fan of headroom.

I don't use my Waves SSL stuff at all anymore. I'd sell it if the stupid WUP was up to date. For SSL I'm using bx_Console E & G or the Slate VMR SSL-based modules. All those just sound better than the Waves version to me. For my drums parallel compression I use Soundtoys' Devil Loc. It's just so dirty - perfect for the sound I like but admittedly, not right for everything.

3. Is this Illidan?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    Nice video. I'm surprised at the waveforms in his mix. He sure doesn't seem to be a big fan of headroom.

I don't use my Waves SSL stuff at all anymore. I'd sell it if the stupid WUP was up to date. For SSL I'm using bx_Console E & G or the Slate VMR SSL-based modules. All those just sound better than the Waves version to me. For my drums parallel compression I use Soundtoys' Devil Loc. It's just so dirty - perfect for the sound I like but admittedly, not right for everything.
    For any type of bus compression for me it is the API 2500. It's just warm and smooth.

4. Experienced Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Gord The Drummer View Post
    For any type of bus compression for me it is the API 2500. It's just warm and smooth.
    I have that on my mix buss & it is very nice there. It only hits 1 - 2 dB of gain reduction but it's mostly the coloration I am after with it. I keep trying different things but Waves dbx 160 keeps ending up on my drum buss. It just makes them a little bigger than everything else I've tried (including FG-Stress, but I think I probably just need more time dialing that one in).

For my main mix bus compressor I keep going back to Nomad Factory's Bus Driver. It may not be sexy but it just somehow provides articulation that the others I've tried can't match & is incredibly easy to dial in. Like the API 2500, I only go for about 1 - 2.5 dB gain reduction with that one.