Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Registered User

Man, this makes me miss my PC 1 reference
    For Sale on Ebay
    For Sale on DrumForum.org
    Gretsch Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Remo

2. Purple Crazed

Quote Originally Posted by Drum Knight View Post
    Sorry -- I think that I misread your comment re: the kick drum being "drilled". I thought that was some cool way of saying that it had a port hole in the front head but I think that you meant it in the more literal sense that the kick drum is actually drilled to accommodate a mounting apparatus -- which it is. I got it "drilled" because I thought that it would come in handy for mounting purposes (cymbals and toms). I really like having it. It came with a plate too that can get screwed in and cover it if you want.

I know that some people don't like drilling into the kick drum because it is essentially putting more holes into the wood and the weight of toms and/or cymbals can potentially warp the shell. Also, I've heard that it can rob the drum of some resonance. I've never noticed that with this bass drum. And, as someone who strives for a punchier kick without a lot of overtones, I wouldn't some extra nominal dampening. All in all, I've been very satisfied with the 18x22 Reference kick. My previous kit for a long time was an original Tama Superstar (Neil Peart era; not the re-issue) and its 16x22 birch kick was phenomenal. The Reference is a step up capable of a lower pitch, giving it a nice guttural thump.
    My 18x14 bass drum has tom mount on it. It is very useful. I noticed that you have a Titan Touchlock boom cymbal stand. I still think that is one of the coolest feature. Keep on posting pics (you kit looks fantastic). You could also put a few over in this thread: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...ur-PURPLE-Kits!

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    14x5 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 20x16 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by croomz View Post
    Man, this makes me miss my PC 1 reference
    Yeah, Pearl found a true winner in the purple craze finish -- 1 and 2. The thing that I like about the finish is that, in artificial light, it looks purple while, in natural light (i.e., sunlight), it looks blue. I've had people remark that they like my "blue drum set" and I've found that odd but it really can look blue in the proper light.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    My 18x14 bass drum has tom mount on it. It is very useful. I noticed that you have a Titan Touchlock boom cymbal stand. I still think that is one of the coolest feature. Keep on posting pics (you kit looks fantastic). You could also put a few over in this thread: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...ur-PURPLE-Kits!
    Thanks for the link re: purple kits.

As for the Tama Titan Touchlock, I won't lie to you: I hate it. In theory, it seems like a great idea and innovation in drum hardware but, in my own experience with it at least, I found it awkward and often caused pain and injury to my hand. Even when I was playing my previous Tama Superstar set, I started building Pearl hardware because I just liked it better and, to this day, I think that Pearl makes the very best hardware and I also love the look of it. I've bought some Sonor and Ludwig hardware (their high end stuff no less) and I found that it was terrible, especially compared to Pearl. I will say that Tama hardware is overall very good. Tama made its name in part through its quality hardware and I still think that they put out some very good hardware.

5. Registered User

Here are some other photos of my Pearl Reference set:

Name:  Drums Looking Up (Smaller).jpg
Views: 25
Size:  70.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1896 (Smaller).jpg
Views: 24
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1904 (Smaller).jpg
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1905 (Smaller).jpg
Size:  105.5 KB

6. Registered User

And some more photos:

Name:  IMG_1911 (Smaller).jpg
Size:  92.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1907 (Smaller).jpg
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1919 (Smaller).jpg
Size:  50.4 KB

7. Registered User

Hey neighbour. Nice looking kit. I am kind of fond of purple kits myself at the moment. Your basement pics remind me of our last house in Georgetown.