Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Masterworks Snare Build and Communication

Hi all,

I've finally managed to get into a position to buy myself my own dream kit (which will be a Reference Pure) and I'm looking to pair it with a Masterworks snare to get the most out of my playing.

My question is: How much communication is there with Pearl when placing a Masterworks order? Is there any back-and-forth for shell composition and/or bearing edge?

For instance, I play in two different sized jazz bands, and really rely on a sharp rim click to cut through a big band which would say to me I want birch at the edge, but I strongly dislike any overtone/harmonic ring from my snare and really like a warm, short sound for my snare which would say I'd want a mahogany interior to keep resonance down and give a nice 'thick' or 'fat' sound. Would a 2ply Birch 4ply Mahogany snare be what I'm looking for? Has that ever been done? and if so why/not? Or am I completely wrong and bearing edge is the major factor here?

These are just my musings as I have no real experience and am just trying to match what I want to hear with what I'm reading. Ideally I'd have some contact with people who make these and (I'm guessing) would have experimented with weird combinations and why or why not to sell them, but I'm worried that it's just a form that goes one way. Can anyone who's had a Masterworks order help me out with their experience in relation to this matter? Or has anyone been contacted by Pearl to say "Hey, just saw your order - seriously a bad idea here, thought I'd suggest X"

Any experiences or advice on what has/has not worked in a similar scenario would be greatly appreciated. I think once I've got this sorted out I'm ready to pull the trigger

Thanks!

George

2. Registered User

Hi Al,

Thanks very much for the address. That's exactly what I was hoping for. Have emailed and hopefully I'll be ready to do this by the end of the month!

3. Registered User

Out of interest more than advice; had you considered walnut or a walnut mix?
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

4. J-Con

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    Out of interest more than advice; had you considered walnut or a walnut mix?
    I didn't know walnut was an option with the Masterworks line.

5. Registered User

I didn't know walnut was available either. The price list only mentioned gum, and the admittedly small amount of research I've done on gum is that it's a high-density wood like Birch and would therefore (in my mind) contribute to that resonant ringing I mentioned I was hoping to cut out.

If walnut is possible, it does seem quite promising, though I've really only done a quick youtube/google. Do you have a walnut or walnut blend snare? What sort of click does it give?

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    I didn't know walnut was an option with the Masterworks line.
    Haha

As far as I know it isn't.
    I was asking a general question, considering the preferences mentioned in the initial post.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sciriez View Post
    I didn't know walnut was available either. The price list only mentioned gum, and the admittedly small amount of research I've done on gum is that it's a high-density wood like Birch and would therefore (in my mind) contribute to that resonant ringing I mentioned I was hoping to cut out. If walnut is possible, it does seem quite promising, though I've really only done a quick youtube/google. Do you have a walnut or walnut blend snare? What sort of click does it give?
    I do actually. But I don't use it typically and haven't played it in a long time

Couldn't tell you about the "click". And mine is a shallower snare than I guess you might get. It also has flanged hoops. But the overtones are nil and the material could perhaps otherwise provide the characteristics you are after. That's why it came to mind. So I was interested as to if you explored that idea at all.

But if you want a Masterworks snare above all others then it's irrelevant really.
    Last edited by MattKeaton; 08-13-2017 at 04:09 AM.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    I do actually. But I don't use it typically and haven't played it in a long time

Couldn't tell you about the "click". And mine is a shallower snare than I guess you might get. It also has flanged hoops. But the overtones are nil and the material could perhaps otherwise provide the characteristics you are after. That's why it came to mind. So I was interested as to if you explored that idea at all.

But if you want a Masterworks snare above all others then it's irrelevant really.
    It's a very good idea and by the looks of things one I'll have to look into in the future. As I'm buying a full RP kit I think I'd prefer going custom and getting the same finish all-round and hopefully Tom can give me the answers I'm looking for or enough information to get there. No-where does it say I can only have one snare, though, and I may just pay special attention to any walnut snares I come across in the future.

Thanks for directing my attention to it, new information is always appreciated and I've spent a good Sunday looking through all sort of different snare woods just to get more of an understanding of what's out there. Also made me really interested in a walnut piccolo snare, as I've always liked the idea of a piccolo snare but could never bring myself to actually buy one for resonance issues...definitely more food for thought.

Thank you!