Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Registered User

Peeked inside the 16" ft through the clear bottom head. Looks like there's a bit in there and the black screws look a little white and crusty.

And to think I put them in the bags to protect them!

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I love the FT as a RT. Very Tommy Lee-ish!
    Thanks. I was able to play it for a bit today. Dare I say ... it was a lot of fun!

I don't even know if I'll set up a crash. The 19" med ride is quite crashable. Even though that's not really my thing. The 15" hats can make a " big noise " if I want them to. And I often do!

I played that " Rebel just for kicks " pop song on them. I don't know the real name of the band or title of the song, but this set up served it well!

3. Registered User

From my Before and After thread on this kit.

Name:  image-243304575.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  402.7 KB

Screenshot from 1/26/15. This entire kit was disassembled & cleaned. No sign of rust or pitting then.

4. Registered User

That's Mildew you have there (White fungus). Try an old tooth brush or lightly dampened warm cloth, that should remove it from the shells. As mentioned, a chrome cleaner will shine the affected pieces, but if the pitting is deep, it's permanent. Only way to get rid of that is re-chroming them.

5. Registered User

Update with no pics. So a damp cloth wouldn't cut it. Not a toothbrush. I ended up using the 0000 steel wool. Just barley grazing it. Came right off. It cleaned up the T rods well. The heavy pitting on some, are there for ever.

Is what it is. I'll never bag them again. Not in the basement. I'll just throw a dust cover on them.

6. No Drum on Shabbas!!

I work in water damage and mold mitigation. I am not sure if that is mold, but it certainly looks like it could be. Go get some cleaning product that has an anti-mold ingredient. Wipe down in the side of the shells using the product. Try a small area to make sure it doesn't damage the shells. If it's good wipe down the entire inside. It should remove the mold.

Secondly... if you are storing your gear in an area that has a high humidity factor, then you need to get a small dehumidifier to keep and run in the area to keep the moisture out of the air or some kind of dehumidification. Also.. get some silicate packets to keep in the drum cases. That should help remove the moisture that is in the air which can lead to mold growth.

Just some things to think about. This is why I keep my gear in a climate controlled storage unit instead of one that is not climate controlled.

DESPERATELY SEEKING A MHX BASS DRUM WITH A BB-3 TOM MOUNT IN WINE RED

7. Registered User

looks like a chemical reaction to me.

bad bags?
    TAMA | Paiste | Remo | ProMark

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ThugsRook View Post
    looks like a chemical reaction to me. bad bags?
    I don't know the history of the bags. They came with an Export kit I had bought. I sold the kit and kept the bags.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Big King View Post
    I work in water damage and mold mitigation. I am not sure if that is mold, but it certainly looks like it could be. Go get some cleaning product that has an anti-mold ingredient. Wipe down in the side of the shells using the product. Try a small area to make sure it doesn't damage the shells. If it's good wipe down the entire inside. It should remove the mold. Secondly... if you are storing your gear in an area that has a high humidity factor, then you need to get a small dehumidifier to keep and run in the area to keep the moisture out of the air or some kind of dehumidification. Also.. get some silicate packets to keep in the drum cases. That should help remove the moisture that is in the air which can lead to mold growth. Just some things to think about. This is why I keep my gear in a climate controlled storage unit instead of one that is not climate controlled.
    Thanks BK. I run a dehumidifier. As stated somewhere on earlier pages, I've never had a problem with my kits being in my basement.

I believe it was a combination of the bags being zipped and sitting directly on the carpeted floor. The silica pouches have been mentioned too. I think I will just not use the bags or sell the kit and bags together.