Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Is this mold or mildew?

This is the inside of the kick on my Sessions Elite kit. They've been in bags for that 6 months or so. I don't recall ever seeing it before.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Registered User

Here's the T rods that were facing down. Ruined.

They are in my basement, but the Yellow Flash Export kit was down here for 17 years and never an issue. It's the bags holding / drawing moister!

Sucks X's 10!

3. Registered User

Now I'll have to check the whole kit! Apparently I'll have to sell them. If I store them they'll be junk.

Or at least ditch the bags!

4. Playing since 1976

What brand bags are they? Also, what percent humidity do you typically experience in your basement? Mine varies between 25-30%. Sorry you had trouble with your drums!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Registered User

Kinda sorta near Pittsburgh (right at the tristate area)

some #0000 steel wool will help clean the chrome back up. That's what I used on all the drums I've fixed/cleaned up.

Maybe leave the bags un zipped? let them breath.

6. Registered User

They are Galaxy bags. I only opened them because I was & did swap heads kick heads between the two kits. The MCX is rocking the Evans heads on the kick. So glad I opened them up.

Kickport and 14" & 16" toms. THUMP THUMP!

7. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    They are Galaxy bags.
    Yep, it's definitely your specific environment. I have about 20 H&B Galaxy bags, and have never had a problem with them. I hope you can get the drums cleaned up the way you want!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

8. Registered User

I live in Western NY and as you may know we get our share of rain and moisture, also have a damp basement. I use a dehumidifier and have purchased silica bags and keep them in my bags and cases. I just put a couple of the silica bags in a sock and put it in there just so it doesn't touch the drum and have never had an issue. There is one kit I only play once a year and its never been an issue. but that's just my experience The bags do hold some moisture and probably did contribute to that on your kit. Did you by chance clean them with anything before they were put away?

9. Drumming Since 1943

I love the FT as a RT. Very Tommy Lee-ish!
    Way Too Much Crap

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by yyzt4e View Post
    I live in Western NY and as you may know we get our share of rain and moisture, also have a damp basement. I use a dehumidifier and have purchased silica bags and keep them in my bags and cases. I just put a couple of the silica bags in a sock and put it in there just so it doesn't touch the drum and have never had an issue. There is one kit I only play once a year and its never been an issue. but that's just my experience The bags do hold some moisture and probably did contribute to that on your kit. Did you by chance clean them with anything before they were put away?
    That's a great idea with the silica bags. I run a dehumidifier too. Have to or there would be mold hair growing on everything.

As I said before, I kept the other kits down there for many years. Have never had a problem.

The kit was cleaned and chrome polished all the chrome but that was well before I put them away.

The T rods that are effected are the ones that was sitting on the floor.

There is some serious pitting and some spots the chrome is completely coming off. Beyond repair in just a few short months.

I'm not sure what to do with the shell interior. Tung oil?

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    That's a great idea with the silica bags. I run a dehumidifier too. Have to or there would be mold hair growing on everything.

As I said before, I kept the other kits down there for many years. Have never had a problem.

The kit was cleaned and chrome polished all the chrome but that was well before I put them away.

The T rods that are effected are the ones that was sitting on the floor.

There is some serious pitting and some spots the chrome is completely coming off. Beyond repair in just a few short months.

I'm not sure what to do with the shell interior. Tung oil?
    Well I also do the same with the chrome polish, not sure if this will make a difference for you or overall for that matter, you say they are kept in bags but do they sit directly on the floor? I have mine on shelves and I wonder if that helps. As for whats going on inside the drum, is that something crusty or tacky? is it damp or dry? If its dry you can try a soft bristle toothbrush to take it off and then a damp cloth to wipe the interior of the shell. Let it dry and see if the affected ares is still discolored. Forgive me for asking but the Session Elite drums, are they raw on the inside or do they have a clear-coat? if they are raw or unfinished I would suggest tung oil or a light coat of wipe-on poly to protect the shell. I have found that the thin coat of wipe-on poly helps protect but doesn't have a noticeable effect of the drums tome as opposed to a clear coat like lacquer.

12. Registered User

As far as I can tell it's raw wood. Hopefully someone with better knowledge on this series of drum will be able to tell me.

The discoloration is dry. Not tacky or damp at all. But it doesn't have a texture to it. It's like it's the wood it's self discolored. If that makes any sense. Like the pores of the wood and not a mold growth ON the wood.

The kick bag was sitting directly on the carpeted floor.

I haven't inspected the others yet. I opened the ft bag and all looked good. But my drum corner has been a giant mess and I'm in the process of tidying up and re organizing the space.

Thanks for the input everyone. I post more when I find out more!

Marty