Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Getting a nasty ring in my recording.

So I just got the Audix DP7 mic pack, and its great. EXCEPT, I'm getting this nasty overtone ring when i play my bass drum, but i've narrowed down that it's coming from my 2nd tom mic...the second tom is right above the bass drum, and when I play it, it's causing a vibration to the second tom and making it ring slightly and the mic is picking that up. I tried to gate the tom, but then it just sounds way too weird and it didn't work out the way I wouldve liked...my next guess is to adjust that tom mic..possibly raise it a little further away from the head ? right now it's pointing towards the center of the drum and about 2 inches from the head.

2. Is this Illidan?

Change the tuning of the tom or change the kit orientation of the room. This isn't a recording/mic issue it's an 'acoustic drums in a small space' issue. Other options include moongel or other forms of dampening.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Gord The Drummer View Post
    Change the tuning of the tom or change the kit orientation of the room. This isn't a recording/mic issue it's an 'acoustic drums in a small space' issue. Other options include moongel or other forms of dampening.
    Well that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the tips. I think moongel could do it