Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Practicing...

Default New Masters Maple Reserve Problem

Hey PDF, long time no talk!

GREAT NEWS: I ordered an MRV set back in February (22x16"; 12x8"; 16x16") and finally picked it up from the shop I ordered through last week!

BAD NEWS: My 16x16" floor tom is rattling and I cannot figure out why. As a note the drums come stocked with Remo Ambassadors. I have taken both heads off and made sure that the screws holding in the lug housings and floor tom leg mounts were not loose or over tight; When I took both heads off I made sure the bearing edges were clean; I changed the batter head in case the head was defective. I made sure the none of the tension rods were loose after tuning. I even took the drum to different rooms to ensure that it wasn't something in the room that was rattlings due to the resonance.

I am at a loss for what to do next. I feel like I have done all of the steps necessary to rule out obvious issues. Maybe I could swap out the stock resonant head? If that still doesn't work does that mean it is a problem with the shell itself? And if it is a problem with the shell itself can I get it replaced? These drums are new and not cheap and they should not be rattling.

Thank you in advance!

2. Registered User

Did you hit the drum shell with your hand while all the heads/rims/tension rods were off? I had this issue when I got my MMX kit used 3 years ago. It turned out to be the air hole grommet. I tightened it and it's been fine ever since!
    Pearl Professional DLX - 8,10,12,13,16,22 Wine Red
    Pearl MMX - 10, 12, 14, 16, 22 Diamond Burst

3. Practicing...

I did, and I still heard the rattle that way. I even remembered to check the badge but I didn't check the air hole grommet! I will definitely give that a shot!

4. Playing since 1976

It's likely the press-fit air vent. If you watch my video, I explain how to gently tighten them.

My website ===> CLICK HERE
    My eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    My facebook page ===> CLICK HERE
    My YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    It's likely the press-fit air vent. If you watch my video, I explain how to gently tighten them.

I have watched this Video- This is likely the cause these drums are very thin and that vent is a common problem that is not as common on the thicker MRX, MCX, and Retro shells , Good Luck Let everyone know you got it fixed ... I have been trying to Trade my DW collectors for one of these new Master Maple Reserve's or I am going to Add some other toms to my MMX kit Good luck
    available
    BLX 14"x 12" artic '' white tom
    MMX 14 x 6.5 SNARE GOLD Hdw
    Purple Mist
    For Sale
    MMX 14x6.5 Gold HDW
    purple Mist snare

6. Practicing...

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post

That was a great video thank you! I may give it a try BUT last night I decided to say screw it and replace the resonant head and the rattle seems to have gone away. Just a reminder that a stock head is still a stock head even if its a Remo. I'm going to play some more today to make sure it hasn't resurfaced and if it does I will definitely give this a shot to gently tighten the gasket.