Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Registered User

Kinda sorta near Pittsburgh (right at the tristate area)

Quote Originally Posted by Gord The Drummer View Post
    Another thing to consider is that too close to the roof and you pick up a lot of ugly sound reflection through the mics. You don't want them too close. You may also find you like XY better than recorderman. It all depends on the room/mics. They all respond a little differently, so you really have to try a few things to get the right sound in the recording.
    I've been wanting to try xy due to researching overheads, but I never seen it done with LDC's. I may still try that too, I'll probably just have to get creative with stands for now.

But as far as my "recorderman" ish setup right now, It seamed to bring the toms to life a tad more than with the split overheads. Glynn Johns did that too though my 16 was much louder and so was my China (since they were right by the mic)

2. Registered User

Did a new cover, this ones with the xy and all the tips of Gord..honestly sounds much much more enjoyable and clear. Check out he difference it made...my kit sounds more full and not as thin, I guess I wasn't having phase issues.
    https://youtu.be/6a8k9Db7tCk

3. Drumoholic

Quote Originally Posted by JRella View Post
    Did a new cover, this ones with the xy and all the tips of Gord..honestly sounds much much more enjoyable and clear. Check out he difference it made...my kit sounds more full and not as thin, I guess I wasn't having phase issues. https://youtu.be/6a8k9Db7tCk
    I like your tom sounds a lot. And that's coming from a guy who is OCD about tom sounds on recordings lol
    Church Drummers Army
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Tama Superstar in White Satin Haze
    Pearl - Tama - Zildjian - Vater

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by pearlreference7101 View Post
    I like your tom sounds a lot. And that's coming from a guy who is OCD about tom sounds on recordings lol
    Thanks a lot man. They do sound nice, a great attack and a nice full sound following, with a good decay. I changed the mic positions actually for this recording, I put it somewhere between pointing at the middle of the drum / pointing at the rim, its kinda pointing at the logo on the head, but a little bit further at the center, but also not in the way of my playing. Maybe about 2 inches from the head