Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Are the decade kits any good?

Are the decade kits any good?

2. Registered User

For the price Pearl has them marked at for a new kit they seem like a real deal. The only thing I've heard negative about them is the 6 lug floor toms instead of 8.

I don't own them nor have I ever played them but I've read here ( PDF ) and other places, they sound phenomenal.

Welcome to the PDF. Stick around. We need new members!

3. Registered User

I messed with one about a year ago at dales drum shop and it sounded fantastic and felt pretty well made.

4. Registered User

Love mine.. the thin shells really resonate & w/ better heads they sound as good as a kit costing alot more $.
    2017 Decade Maple 5pc, Gibraltar rack, Zildjian, Humes and Berg, ..Pearl P122TW
    2015 Ludwig Breakbeat
    2012 DDrum Reflex RSL 5pc

Yamaha SD-493 brass snare..Pearl m1270 maple 12x7 snare.

Twitter https://twitter.com/Inaband

5. Registered User

I am satisfied with mine. I have had some defining issues with one lug on my 12" Tom as some others have, put past that the drums have been excellent. Hard to beat them for the money involved IMO.

6. J-Con

Had the chance to play a well tuned (kinda) kit today at Samash. It was set up as a three piece, 22" kick, 10" tom, 16" floor. The snare I took off the shelf and added to the kit myself, 14"x8" Utility snare in flat black.

The kick sounded amazing. No muffling at all, PS3 batter and the factory PS3 ported (5"?) logo reso. Great bottom end and feel with the JAW batter, No patch. DW 3000 pedal was used with the felt side of the beater. Great feeling, simple pedal btw.

The rack tom had a great tone to it that popped similar to the intro of My Own Summer by the Deftones. I always play that beat when there's a 10" rack tom on a kit... it was mounted right off the kick drum.

The floor is where I really had some fun. I didn't mess with the tuning at all but either an employee or a customer tuned it just [about] wrinkled, lol. I normally tune my floor to JAW and love the sound I get but this was just tight enough that none of the tension rods rattled. It had such a crazy, muddy thud to it that just really sounded different... but not bad. Idk.

Both the tom and floor had coated Emperors on the batter side. I think the resos were factory clear ambassadors, didn't check.

The snare was tuned medium high and sounded awesome! I've really been looking at a few of these Utility options from Pearl. This is first on my list and I'm glad I got to play it. I believe it had all factory heads on it. Sounded great with very little ring, nice crack, and woody feel.

The masters series lugs had gaskets and brass tension rod receivers. The throw off was a slightly less expensive model similar to the SR017. The butt was simple and looked like a rounder version of the butt that usually comes with the SR017.

I didn't know that it was wrapped. I thought the flat finish was painted... that threw me off a little. I don't really dig wraps too much. It just gives the drum a cheap feel if it's not done right or comes loose or bubbles over time. But it looked really good from the front.

I'd more than likely put Mastercast hoops, stainless steel tension rods, and black nylon washers on this snare if I ever get one.

The cymbals were all S series Zildjians. They really aren't my cup o' tea but they sounded good together... in that particular rectangular room with 20' ceilings. Lol

7. J-Con

I forgot the pics and I don't want to re-edit the post and have to redo all the spacing of the paragraphs...

Edit: just realized this was a new Export kit... not a Decade maple. (Smacks head)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Tasty808; 08-18-2017 at 06:36 AM.

8. Registered User

HAHAHA! oops

I've been interested in that snare for a while as well. I just don't care as much for the flat black, but the size, material, and price are all well worth over looking the finish, though I might like it more to see it in person. Glad to know it is a good sounding snare.