Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 15
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5

    Smile [Model Identification] Pearl Export Select

    Hi everyone !

    First of all, please forgive my poor english, I'm french.
    I've a Pearl drumkit since 90's and I can't remember the exact year I bought it. I just remember it's an Export Select.
    But when I try to looking for this model with this color, I can't find it at all except once and it talked about "Special Edition" but I really don't believe it.

    So I try to know what model it is and which wood is used.
    You can find pictures of the entire cleaning I made last year here :
    [Grand nettoyage] Pearl Export Select
    Here are some pictures :
    [BEFORE CLEANING]
    Name:  33631820160613183816.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  45.7 KB
    Name:  45493520160613184150.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  43.1 KB
    Name:  21951920160613190228.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  52.8 KB

    Note that I've replaced the ISS system and the new one is a bit different.
    I've also replaced the floor tom leg bracket by a Master Series model and I've removed the Tom fixation on the bass drum because I use a Gibraltar rack.
    Last edited by Pedrault; 07-14-2017 at 09:09 AM.

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Pictures after restoration :
    Name:  79840720160613205246.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  60.1 KB
    Name:  11417220160616195258.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  58.5 KB
    [Remember that the ISS system has been changed by the new one]
    Name:  84258120160618153209.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  59.3 KB

  3. Rockin' the Cosmos..

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sirius-2DS
    Posts
    4,195

    Default

    If you say it's an ELX lacquer kit and not wrapped then it looks like a 1998-1999 ELX in #175 Scarlet Mist since it has matching wood hoops and fits color

    1998 ELX's were 7 ply shells of Select Hardwood / Asian Mahogany / Select Hardwood

    1999 ELX's were 7 ply shells of Agathis / Asian Mahogany / Santa Maria

    I have to say though .. from these pics it looks like a wrap or solid lacquer .. can you see woodgrain? .. I can't

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Thanks a lot for your answer !
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    If you say it's an ELX lacquer kit and not wrapped then it looks like a 1998-1999 ELX in #175 Scarlet Mist since it has matching wood hoops and fits color
    I believed that matching wood hoops was an Export Select specification.
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    1998 ELX's were 7 ply shells of Select Hardwood / Asian Mahogany / Select Hardwood

    1999 ELX's were 7 ply shells of Agathis / Asian Mahogany / Santa Maria
    Wow ...
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    I have to say though .. from these pics it looks like a wrap or solid lacquer .. can you see woodgrain? .. I can't
    Yes woodgrain is visible

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5

    Default

    With those informations, I've found this :
    My second Pearl Export Kit! #1399
    It looks exactly the same kit !
    What are the differences with 1997-1998-1999 models ?

  6. Pearl Corporation USA

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Pearl Corporation U.S.A. Nashville, TN
    Posts
    27,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedrault View Post
    With those informations, I've found this :
    My second Pearl Export Kit! #1399
    It looks exactly the same kit !
    What are the differences with 1997-1998-1999 models ?
    Mainly just the shell composite
    1997 - 7-ply select hardwood /MH/ Select hardwood
    1998 - Same
    1999 - 7-ply Luna /Mahogany/Santa Maria

    KISS uses Gibson guitars and PEARL drums because they want the Best!

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    Mainly just the shell composite
    1997 - 7-ply select hardwood /MH/ Select hardwood
    1998 - Same
    1999 - 7-ply Luna /Mahogany/Santa Maria
    OK and if we refer to this document :
    http://www.labatteria.it/public/file/Export-by-year.pdf The #175 Scarlet Mist is available only in 1998/1999 !
    Except the wood, the only difference between those 2 models is that the 8" and 9" tom are available only on the 1999 model...
    Last edited by Pedrault; 07-14-2017 at 12:08 PM.

  8. A Passion Play ...

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sacramento CA.
    Posts
    5,431

    Default

    Good job. Kit looks great.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

  9. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    4,647

    Default

    And, for those of you playing at home... the 1996 ELX has contrast natural finish wooden bass hoops.

    PS your English is pretty much flawless.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

  10. Rockin' the Cosmos..

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sirius-2DS
    Posts
    4,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    And, for those of you playing at home... the 1996 ELX has contrast natural finish wooden bass hoops.
    kinda like these ..
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  11. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    kinda like these ..
    Or these! This kit was really pretty. Shame they were so abused! The 12" rack looked liked it was used to drive nails.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    4,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Or these! This kit was really pretty. Shame they were so abused! The 12" rack looked liked it was used to drive nails.
    Hahaha.
    If it weren't for the fact I couldn't get add ons, I may possibly still have mine. In fact I did keep the snare haha
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •