Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Is it worth changing the kick drum hoops to wood hoops?

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could change my metal kick drum hoops to wood hoops. I don't know why, but I like kick drum wood hoops for some reason. It makes the kit look more expensive, to me. I know that there are no sound differences between wood hoop and metal hoops. I just want to know if it's worth coverting to wood hoops or not.
    Pearl, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Gibraltar, DW, Vater, and Remo

2. J-Con

You can absolutely change the hoops to wood. What kit are you currently playing? Pics?

3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

If your only motivation is to make it look more expensive, don't bother. Those who would care would know you're kit is not of the quality you're trying to portray it at and rest would not even notice.

This gives me the same feeling as those who put a DW head on a PDP kit.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    If your only motivation is to make it look more expensive, don't bother. Those who would care would know you're kit is not of the quality you're trying to portray it at and rest would not even notice. This gives me the same feeling as those who put a DW head on a PDP kit.

There's a guy around here that does the DW heads thing.

I thought - Wow, that's a expensive kit for a kid who's not that good. When they were on break I was able to get close enough to see it was a PDP kit.

But as for the wood hoops - your looking at $100 or better for appearance reasons only.

I don't know what type kit, snare, cymbals , pedals , throne or heads you use. But if any of those things are lacking, I'd upgrade those before wood hoops. Just my opinion.

Wood hoops do look nice though. And it's your kit and decision to make. Do what make you happy!

Share pics of your kit if possible. Cheers

5. Registered User

If your only motivation is to make it look more expensive, don't bother. Those who would care would know you're kit is not of the quality you're trying to portray it at and rest would not even notice.

This gives me the same feeling as those who put a DW head on a PDP kit.

Someone was selling a Pdp kit with a DW head on the kick drum for $600 on Craigslist, and someone was gullible enough to buy it.

6. The Hardware Guy

Those who would care would know you're kit is not of the quality you're trying to portray it at and rest would not even notice.
    This

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    You can absolutely change the hoops to wood. What kit are you currently playing? Pics?
    My kit is a Pearl Roadshow 4-piece bop kit
    Kick Drum: 18x16
    Snare Drum: 13x5
    Rack Tom: 10x7
    Floor Tom: 14x12... I think

Cymbals
    Crash: 16" Wuhan New Traditional Thin
    Hi hats: 14" Wuhan New Traditional hihats
    Ride: 20" Wuhan New Traditional Med-Heavy

Heads:
    (Temporary setup)
    Snare: Evans Strata 1000
    Rack Tom: stock
    Kick batter: stock
    Floor tom: stock

I will post some pics later

8. J-Con

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money to upgrade that particular kit. But if you can find some cheap hoops, go for it!

I found a cheap set of Export(?) black wood hoops for $20. I gave them to my buddy who had metal hoops and he switched them out. It worked better for his pedal...

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't spend the money to upgrade that particular kit. But if you can find some cheap hoops, go for it!

I found a cheap set of Export(?) black wood hoops for $20. I gave them to my buddy who had metal hoops and he switched them out. It worked better for his pedal...
    Yeah, I know. I was just curious because I want to know the upgrade options of my kit besides the basic upgrades such as the hardware, heads, and cymbals. I want to make my kit different from the other Pearl Roadshow kits, and wood bass drum hoops will definitely make the kit stand out from the rest.

10. Registered User

Also, there's an interesting story behind this thread. When I was searching for Gibraltar hardware, I came across some wood hoops from Gibraltar, so I checked it out and they had one for an 18" kick drum. I was curious, so I started this thread.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VicFirthDrummer69 View Post
    Also, there's an interesting story behind this thread. When I was searching for Gibraltar hardware, I came across some wood hoops from Gibraltar, so I checked it out and they had one for an 18" kick drum. I was curious, so I started this thread.
    The 18" are probably cheaper than the 22" I looked up. Dude, it's your kit and if you think you'd like them, do it. Someone mentioned the pedals fitting better on the wood hoops. They do. My last Export kit had steel hoops and the 930 Pearl pedals had play in them. Easily fixed by adding some spacers and all.

Again, it's your kit. Do what makes you happy!