Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 37 of 144 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast
Results 433 to 444 of 1723
  1. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Check a couple of your snare drums for exact diameter, it should be less than 14". As far as shell thickness, I wouldn't go less than 3/8". Jimmy from CCW Drums USA didn't feel comfortable turning his stave shells down past 1/2" thick, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I would love 1/4" if I had assurance it would remain stable, but with wood like this there are likely no guarantees.

    Is the epoxy a solid stripe all the way through, or is there wood in the core?
    The epoxy goes all the way through and is translucent. I was thinking 1/2Ē would be good. I havenít given him exact measurements yet.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

    Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

  2. life start at 125bpm

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canadrums,nesting up in the mountains
    Posts
    11,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    My wife went to an art show last week in Delray Beach and came back with some wooden bowls that I found interesting. She met a guy whoís a professional wood turner. He only uses wood from fallen trees, so his inventory is high since Hurricane Irma. He also has perfected a way to add translucent epoxy rings and you canít feel where the wood goes to epoxy. I contacted him about making a snare drum shell for me. Heís pretty sure he has some pieces wide enough. Iím waiting for his reply. Resurrection Drums in Hollywood can cut the edges and beds. I think having a one piece seamless shell would be very cool, but I think it will boil down to what kind of wood he has.


    this is a nice project coming off a coincidence lol! . so the guy in question made the salad bowl your wife went back from a fair with , which instilled the idea you've got of having the dude making you a stave drum ?!!!

    neat.
    can't wait to see the final product.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's



    WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

  3. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    this is a nice project coming off a coincidence lol! . so the guy in question made the salad bowl your wife went back from a fair with , which instilled the idea you've got of having the dude making you a stave drum ?!!!

    neat.
    can't wait to see the final product.
    Not a stave, a solid wood shell snare drum.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  4. life start at 125bpm

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canadrums,nesting up in the mountains
    Posts
    11,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Not a stave, a solid wood shell snare drum.
    hmmm...isn't it the same ?
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's



    WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

  5. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    hmmm...isn't it the same ?
    Not the same. Stave shells are made from multiple blocks of wood glued together... like this.

    Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  33.2 KB

    Name:  il_fullxfull.1231764419_2fjx.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  90.0 KB

    The drum Marv's talking about would be made from one (or two because the epoxy will be in between) solid piece of wood. Here is an example of a solid wood snare.

    Name:  zelkova_image.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  44.3 KB

    Name:  HS-1465-30th-2.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  52.3 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  6. life start at 125bpm

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canadrums,nesting up in the mountains
    Posts
    11,105

    Default

    thanks for the precisions. obviously very different animal.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's



    WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

  7. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    thanks for the precisions. obviously very different animal.
    I know it’s a leap from salad bowl to drum shell, but the wood turner seems pretty confident that he can do this.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

    Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

  8. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I know it’s a leap from salad bowl to drum shell, but the wood turner seems pretty confident that he can do this.
    The price is higher than I'm used to for a shell, but I guess it should be more because of the inlay, and the solid piece of wood. What I'm concerned about is... what if you bring the shell to Resurrection, or Precision Drum Company, or even Chris at Drums on Sale, and something goes wrong? What if they try to cut the edges/beds and drill holes, and something happens to the shell? We wouldn't know who is responsible at that point.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  9. Vintage 1968

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    BIRMINGHAM, AL
    Posts
    7,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    The price is higher than I'm used to for a shell, but I guess it should be more because of the inlay, and the solid piece of wood. What I'm concerned about is... what if you bring the shell to Resurrection, or Precision Drum Company, or even Chris at Drums on Sale, and something goes wrong? What if they try to cut the edges/beds and drill holes, and something happens to the shell? We wouldn't know who is responsible at that point.
    Like if the shell is out of round? I was thinking that myself.
    Random obscure cool group from my youth:


  10. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post
    Like if the shell is out of round? I was thinking that myself.
    Or part of the shell breaks off or separates.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  11. life start at 125bpm

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canadrums,nesting up in the mountains
    Posts
    11,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I know it’s a leap from salad bowl to drum shell, but the wood turner seems pretty confident that he can do this.


    making a solid ''stable''' wood shell is in my understanding less risky than a stave. i would fear a stave could potentially break or separate in the numerous seams. however, i wonder how stable a thick solid shell made out of ''fresh''' mahogany can be. will it bend,distord over time if not dryed properly? i'm not an expert though....
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's



    WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

  12. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    making a solid ''stable''' wood shell is in my understanding less risky than a stave. i would fear a stave could potentially break or separate in the numerous seams. however, i wonder how stable a thick solid shell made out of ''fresh''' mahogany can be. will it bend,distord over time if not dryed properly? i'm not an expert though....
    The stave shell glue points (seams) are the strongest part of the shell.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •