Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 141 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,692 of 1697
  1. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Keith Moon was probably the first known punk rocker so I can relate. I just like the way some others have brought to the table just as well. Moon was in the only way I can describe it, flip-floppy. It’s almost like he was large fish fresh out of water flapping around on the ground. It works, but even Townsend said at one point they were probably going to kick him out if he didn’t die.

    Kenny Jones didn’t do it for me. He was too tamed for The Who for me.
    I really like Zach Starkey. I’ve seen him with Ringo’s all star band. He’s probably a more technically perfect drummer than Keith Moon, but there’s just something about Keith Moon’s playing that is so unusually excellent. Also, Keith was playing like this in the 60’s.
    As for Townsend being pissed at Keith was not without merit. Moon the loon was a nickname well earned. I’m sure Pete didn’t enjoy the press of Keith destroying hotel rooms or of his appetite for drugs and booze. I don’t think it was his drumming that was the problem.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

    Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

  2. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    +1
    I take it you’ve had the pleasure. When I saw The Who for the first time I was blown away by the sound produced by one guitar, bass and drums. There were no backing tracts. All three played lead. Drums were no longer just a time keeper.
    Tonight they play three sets. First and third are with an orchestra. Until I saw the set list, I never gave much thought as to how many of their recorded songs are with an orchestra. So instead of piping in the orchestra, they’ll have one complete with conductor.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

    Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

  3. Bad Girlfriend

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    17,960

    Default

    Wish I had seen The Who! But my nephew springing for expensive tickets, picking me up and taking me home, and all the fun we had; was a first for me! Iron Maiden are still kicking it hard with a RAF WW2 plane in the center of the stage; and the largest Eddie I've ever seen them send back to hell. Once I won free tickets to see Great White but this last Maiden voyage (probably my last concert) was a fantastic family experience.
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

    MASTERS ARMY

  4. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    The Who was fantastic last night. Daultry’s voice was as good as ever. Even Pete Townsend’s vocals were good. The 40+ piece orchestra was amazing. While this was billed as a Who concert, it was a Pete and Roger concert. I’ve seen Zach Starkey before and he’s a great drummer, but last night he was definitely just a background player. His playing was subdued and the drums were not dominant in the mix. While Zach is a better drummer than I, I could have done what he did last night. Pete and Roger were on the Jumbotrons 90% of the time. The other 10% was split among the other musicians. The lead violinist got more Jumbotron time than Zach Starkey.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

    Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

  5. 1, 2, 3, Hit It!

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Sounds like you both had a good time at your respective concerts!
    Kevin

    Pearl Masters Custom Extra MRX - 5 Piece Maple Kit
    Midnight Fade, Chrome Hardware
    Matching Snare: 14x6.5 Toms: 12x9, 13x10, 16x16 (FT) Bass: 22x18
    Cymbals: Paiste Signatures & 2oo2s

    Proud member of the Masters Army <<<Click to join today!

  6. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    The Who was fantastic last night. Daultry’s voice was as good as ever. Even Pete Townsend’s vocals were good. The 40+ piece orchestra was amazing. While this was billed as a Who concert, it was a Pete and Roger concert. I’ve seen Zach Starkey before and he’s a great drummer, but last night he was definitely just a background player. His playing was subdued and the drums were not dominant in the mix. While Zach is a better drummer than I, I could have done what he did last night. Pete and Roger were on the Jumbotrons 90% of the time. The other 10% was split among the other musicians. The lead violinist got more Jumbotron time than Zach Starkey.
    Was he playing an electronic kit? I saw photos of him even using those awful rubber cymbals.

  7. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Was he playing an electronic kit? I saw photos of him even using those awful rubber cymbals.
    Double bass DW.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

    Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

  8. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    Double bass DW.
    Was this it?

    Name:  43DC1642-4B80-48D8-AD80-4B8D5EA4C0BB.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  47.7 KB

  9. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Was this it?

    Name:  43DC1642-4B80-48D8-AD80-4B8D5EA4C0BB.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  47.7 KB
    It was definitely a DW with gold hardware. Both kicks had black heads. I thought the toms had reso heads, but I won’t swear to it. I was sitting on the left side (facing the stage) and the drums were blocked by some of the orchestra from my angle. I brought binoculars to check things out close up, but the jumbotrons had better angles. The E kit might explain what I was hearing. The drums seemed muffled and buried in the mix. I thought the same of the bass. He was good, but not one of the featured musicians. This was a Pete and Roger concert, not a Who concert.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

    Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

  10. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blk Diamond View Post
    Sounds like you both had a good time at your respective concerts!
    Thanks Kevin. I had a good time just spending some quality time with my daughter. The concert was great. It was a real treat to hear The Who with a 45 piece orchestra.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

    Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

  11. Bad Girlfriend

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    17,960

    Default

    When did the Maple/ Gum Masters come out?


    Go Dodgers!
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

    MASTERS ARMY

  12. Bad Girlfriend

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    17,960

    Default

    Ginger Baker died 10/5/2019 at 80 years old. He was hard to get along with but man could he play drums! Always a major influence on my style. RIP Ginger.
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

    MASTERS ARMY

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •