Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 107 of 111 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111 LastLast
Results 1,273 to 1,284 of 1321
  1. Away From The World

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    Tailgating is a problem. I’ve been rear ended six times. Three of those happened when I was sitting at a red light. Florida has yet to outlaw texting while driving. They made it a secondary offense a few years ago, which is bs. Cars weave in and out of their lanes and almost every time I pass one of them, I can see them texting. I have even seen cops texting while driving. The youngans are all in a hurry, drive aggressively and weave in and out of traffic. 16 years old is too young to driving. Kids get their permit when they’re 15. I taught kids that age for years and can say that at 15, they are not mature enough to safely operate a vehicle.
    In April I bought a new vehicle and made sure I got all the new safety equipment. I have blind spot monitors on both sides, emergency automatic front braking, rear traffic cross monitors and lane keep assist. A couple of months ago I was traveling not far from my house when two teens that were standing in the center median decided to run in front of me. My wife was surprised that I was able to stop so quickly. I told her that it wasn’t me, the car stopped itself. I know a lot of people scoff at the safety equipment, but I want all the help I can get. It’s a jungle out there.
    Mobile phone use while driving is an issue here too, and though it is against the law many still do it. I have been guilty of it myself but nowadays try to pull over if I need to communicate other than for a hands free call.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

2. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Yesterday morning was like that here in NJ.

We got called to a report of a car in the middle of our Main Street, running. Got there and it was a young guy, passed out with his foot on the brake. When he came to and saw us, he inexplicably took his shirt off... had some kind of medical episode. Point being, it was Real Feel (TM) something like -9. I couldn’t breathe or even think. I had to retreat to my cruiser.

Today is 50. Go figure.
    I never liked the big swings in temperatures. Over dressing and sweating was always a joy. Humans are not designed to breath in temps of -9. Florida has hurricanes, but NJ isn’t exactly immune from storms. Over the summer I had accordion shutters or impact resistant glass on all of my openings. My house should be able to weather a cat 4 hurricane. The only thing that I should lose in a storm like that would be my screen pool enclosure and vegetation. Of course if there’s a cat 5, it’s off to Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Mobile phone use while driving is an issue here too, and though it is against the law many still do it. I have been guilty of it myself but nowadays try to pull over if I need to communicate other than for a hands free call.
    Florida hasn’t outlawed using a hand held phone. The only way using hand held devices will end in Florida is when every vehicle has Bluetooth. Texting is legal in Florida. Florida again wants to pass a law that allows 18 year olds to carry guns on college campuses. I can remember drinking and indulging in other things in college that may have affected my judgment. A school like the University of Florida has over 50,000 students. This isn’t about gun control. It’s about tens of thousands of kids under 21 who drink and smoke pot carrying a deadly weapon. No good could come of that, but this is Florida. We’re the Terry Schivo State. Ms Schivo was in a vegetative state for over 10 years from a car accident. Every doctor said there was no brain activity. When the husband, after 10 years decided to pull the plug, our governor, Jeb, ordered that she be kept alive because the doctors aren’t always right. Fortunately, our court system agreed with the many doctors that said there was no brain activity for 10 years and the chance for any recovery was zero. Also, if you want to screw up an election, have it in Florida.
    Our last governor, who is now our US Senator, fired the 9 member South Florida Water Management District who were all civil engineers and replaced them with lawyers who were his friends. Now we have flooding caused by failure to lower the inland waterways, red tide on the west coast and thick green algae on the east coast. I understand that to the victor goes the spoils, but at least replace them with engineers, not lawyers.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

3. Skeld-the -wicked

It is - 18 degrees this morning with wind chill -28. Auto repair shops are licking their chops. We have had mild weather until last week. The so called experts claim this is a Polar Vortex but we still call it Winter. For Game of Thrones fans , I thought I saw a Whitewalker in my backyard..
    Pearl Drums
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

4. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by skeld-the-wicked View Post
    It is - 18 degrees this morning with wind chill -28. Auto repair shops are licking their chops. We have had mild weather until last week. The so called experts claim this is a Polar Vortex but we still call it Winter. For Game of Thrones fans , I thought I saw a Whitewalker in my backyard..
    I’ve never experienced anything close to that. How do you breathe outside? Heating your house must cost a fortune. This winter in Florida has been cooler than usual, but no extremely cold days. Today’s high was 63 degrees. Believe me; I’m not complaining.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Many Paiste Cymbals

5. Registered User

I've been looking at gray felts on top of my cymbals for over 50 years. Steve Smith was featured in Modern Drummer last month with his new white Sonar drums and he had white Cympads on top. I thought it looked cool so I bought some red cympads to compliment the red logos on my cymbals and the red push buttons on the Tama QC8 cymbal mates.
    The literature on the cymbal mates says that when used under the cymbal, it isolates it from the stand and wont interfere with other drums attached to the same stand. I have a 14" crash attached to my T2000 double tom stand and when I hit the cymbal, both toms vibrate. I tried the cympad underneath and there's no difference. I bought them purely for aesthetics, so I'm not upset. I didn't really think it would make a difference.
    My wife thinks they look tacky. I think they look spiffy.
    Bro. just out of curiosity would these cympads look good on my Red Sparkle Pearl drum kit with my Black Zildjian A Custom Logos? and my Vision VSX in Strata Black?

Phillip
    Drum sets -
    Pearl Vision VSX Strata Black - 22x18 kick, 12x9 tom, 13x10 tom, 16x16 floor tom

Electronics - Shure Mics, Presonus Audio, M-Audio

Wanted to buy - 14x6.5 Reference series brass snare

6. Registered User

Hereís the kit my wife bought me for my birthday. This is in addition to my MCX. The grain and figuring pops on every drum. Check out the bass drum.
    OMG that is beautiful!!! I love the finish, wish pearl drums made a finish like this..
    Drum sets -
    Pearl Vision VSX Strata Black - 22x18 kick, 12x9 tom, 13x10 tom, 16x16 floor tom

7. Registered User

Hereís some pics of my new kit. Lighting was comming in from behind, so pics are a little dark. Everything is new sans BD pedal and throne.
    WHAT A BEAUTY!!!!!!!! Absolutely stunning quicksticks
    Phil
    Drum sets -

8. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by DrumPlayerFTW View Post
    Bro. just out of curiosity would these cympads look good on my Red Sparkle Pearl drum kit with my Black Zildjian A Custom Logos? and my Vision VSX in Strata Black?

Phillip
    Check out the Cympads website. They have many colors available. I tried them under my cymbals and was unimpressed. They don’t mold to the cymbal seat like felts do. I use them solely for the visual affect.

WHAT A BEAUTY!!!!!!!! Absolutely stunning quicksticks
    Phil
    Thanks. They don’t sparkle, but they have do have a rich warm look. The nicest thing is that it’s a real wood finish and not a faux finish like is so popular today.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Many Paiste Cymbals

9. Away From The World

Florida hasn’t outlawed using a hand held phone. The only way using hand held devices will end in Florida is when every vehicle has Bluetooth. Texting is legal in Florida. Florida again wants to pass a law that allows 18 year olds to carry guns on college campuses. I can remember drinking and indulging in other things in college that may have affected my judgment. A school like the University of Florida has over 50,000 students. This isn’t about gun control. It’s about tens of thousands of kids under 21 who drink and smoke pot carrying a deadly weapon. No good could come of that, but this is Florida. We’re the Terry Schivo State. Ms Schivo was in a vegetative state for over 10 years from a car accident. Every doctor said there was no brain activity. When the husband, after 10 years decided to pull the plug, our governor, Jeb, ordered that she be kept alive because the doctors aren’t always right. Fortunately, our court system agreed with the many doctors that said there was no brain activity for 10 years and the chance for any recovery was zero. Also, if you want to screw up an election, have it in Florida.
    Our last governor, who is now our US Senator, fired the 9 member South Florida Water Management District who were all civil engineers and replaced them with lawyers who were his friends. Now we have flooding caused by failure to lower the inland waterways, red tide on the west coast and thick green algae on the east coast. I understand that to the victor goes the spoils, but at least replace them with engineers, not lawyers.
    As a plumber let alone someone with average common sense, I agree with you on civil engineers vs lawyers. New Zealand is behind the US in many things including gun issues (thankfully) though we do have shootings. We are a farming country and many people enjoy hunting in the wild, and the annual duck hunting season is a big thing for many. There are 1.5 million firearms in a population of 4.5 million. Comparatively our gun violence is low, and on a global scale, New Zealand's rates of gun violence are extremely low. I found this: In 2016, there were nine gun murders or manslaughter's in New Zealand, a rate of 1.87 per million people. By comparison, Australia had nearly 10 deaths per million in 2016, Canada had 5.4 deaths per million, and the United States had 106 deaths per million. That said, statistically the region I live in has one of the highest likelihoods of getting shot, go figure.

As for pot, at our next election we could be voting on whether to legalize it like Colorado. Many argue for it in medicinal cases, and trials are being done. Recreational use is another matter.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

10. Registered User

Check out the Cympads website. They have many colors available. I tried them under my cymbals and was unimpressed. They donít mold to the cymbal seat like felts do. I use them solely for the visual affect.

Thanks. They donít sparkle, but they have do have a rich warm look. The nicest thing is that itís a real wood finish and not a faux finish like is so popular today.
    Itís indeed a very nice finish. I always liked real wood finishes than a fake wood wrap finish but with a real wood finish you drop something itíll get dinged and nickíd
    Drum sets -

11. Chomp, Chomp

It’s indeed a very nice finish. I always liked real wood finishes than a fake wood wrap finish but with a real wood finish you drop something it’ll get dinged and nick’d

My other kit has the Delmar bronze glass finish. It’s very durable. I wanted something entirely different in my new kit. I didn’t want two kits that sounded or looked alike. The Fat Spruce attracted me when the snare first came out. There’s a chance that my new kit may never see the outside of my house. I really can’t worry about it getting nicked. There’s bigger issues out there. I have a greater chance of having an accident caused by someone texting and driving than my drums getting nicked. The Fat Spruce was a modestly priced kit. Perhaps if I spent thousands more, I’d be more concerned. I treat all my drums and cymbals with care, so the chances of a mishap are small, and in the meantime, I get to look at them and enjoy them.
    I bought a new vehicle in April and I’m still anal about where I park it.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Many Paiste Cymbals

12. Bad Girlfriend

Itís indeed a very nice finish. I always liked real wood finishes than a fake wood wrap finish but with a real wood finish you drop something itíll get dinged and nickíd
    I also have a Delmar Wrap kit and all of the drums still look new (except the heads). I have 3 add on special order drums from Pearl and only I can tell which is original shell pack and which is add on. They all look to be the same. I've had a few drops or spastic events and nothing shows up. Can't praise the Delmar wrap enough!

This pic shows it best so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY