Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Mountain Man

Quote Originally Posted by mzd View Post
    I have Zildjian K hats and wanted something a little quieter and darker. I ended up with a set of K Constantinoples and they really fit the bill. Regular K hats are still pretty cutting and, after doing some very low volume acoustic gigs, I found their minimum volume (foot chick - doesn't matter if you are using brushes or sticks) was too much. In fact, the foot chick could even be overpowering in rock gigs on smaller stages. I use the K Cons as my main hats for almost all of my gigs now and they speak well at all volumes. There was one gig where I thought they were not giving me enough volume during the set, but when listening to a recording afterwards, I heard them just fine. And of course they excel at the really quiet stuff.
    The "chick" on the K mastersounds is outrageous! I'm looking for set of A mastersounds to use as aux hats.
    Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

2. Drumoholic

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Are we friends? I forget
    Indeed we are.
    Church Drummers Army
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Tama Superstar in White Satin Haze
    Pearl - Tama - Zildjian - Vater

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by scooterdavis View Post
    The "chick" on the K mastersounds is outrageous! I'm looking for set of A mastersounds to use as aux hats.
    Yep, I also have a K Mastersound bottom, but I haven't used it in ages.

4. Registered User

Find a set of vintage 15" Zildjian New Beats and play accordingly!

5. Registered User

I´ve been listening to the Sabian and Meinl catalog for hours.

SABIAN: more or less same as with Zildjian, but slighty open minded and variety. HH Vanguard could be an option, and maybe the HHX Click. There´s nothing in the today´s Sabian catalog fully dark AND more or less dry.

MEINL: wow. Many candidates: Sand hats, extra dry´s, and even the Jazz thin hats. These are serious and real options for what I am looking for.

Keep searching! Now, Paiste´s and Bosphorus!

6. Registered User

Holy F*** with Paiste!

Amazing.

Dark Energy, Masters dark and 2002 black big beat... A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

i went back for a fast check with Zildjian and tought: What the hell is this clinky sound?!

Serious serious candidates.

7. Registered User

Great great great cymbals at Bosphorus.

Masters Vintage are beautiful!

8. No Drum on Shabbas!!

Go bigger. I used to play a set of 16" hats that were made out of 2 16" Zildjian K Custom dark crashes. Crashes are thinner than hats usually. I found these 16" hats to be very dark and delicate and were very well suited to low volume situations. Also... any medium thickness 16" crash should work. maybe use a slightly thicker one for the bottom. Experiment and let us know.

DESPERATELY SEEKING A MHX BASS DRUM WITH A BB-3 TOM MOUNT IN WINE RED

9. Registered User

Well, after weeks listening for hours Hihats (not playing them, uh...) I´ve come to a finalist row for what I am looking for (dark to very dark, controled volume, no overpowering when open, hard hitter with big kit, avoid intense bleeding, warm low pitched, rock indie pop context...).

-GROUP 1: standard Hats, or what I´ve considered standard. Still musical and versatile, but in the dark lines and designs. I HAVE DOUBTS if they will be dry and controlled enough. Will I feel and HEAR the difference clearly coming from a Acustom mastersound?

1) Sabian HH Vanguard
    2) Paiste Dark Energy Mark I
    3) Paiste Masters dark
    4) Paiste 2002 Black BigBeat 15"

- INTERMEDIATE: 5) Meinl Byzance Jazz thin

-GROUP 2: specialty hats, non standard, some kind of esoteric, specific design. WILL THIS BE VERSATILE ENOUGH?

6) Bosphorus Master Vintage
    7) Meinl Byzance Vintage Sand
    8) Meinl Byzance Extra Dry medium
    9) Meinl Byzance Extra Dry thin

Now, I will try to play and test all of these. Also, will study with detail their design, construction, finish, profile, WEIGHT, etc...
    Any users of any of these? Am I in the good way?

Thanks for the comments.
    Last edited by xopo; 06-20-2017 at 08:12 AM.

10. rprznt gl4mXc0r3

For what it's worth I used to own a 15" Paiste Dark Energy hat, and to my ears that one is pretty much the opposite of what you are searching for - dark to very dark, controled volume, no overpowering when open etc.
    Here's how I'd describe it: loud, defined closed sound; very loud, clangy open sound; not at all dark.

11. Thwunk

Buy em all
    HHX & 70s Zildjian New Beat hats, K crashes, Bosphorus & Agop rides
    Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 6.5x14 & 5.5x14 / Ludwig Classic Maple 8x14, LB402B (COB Supraphonic 6.5x14), Acrolite 5x14
    Pearl Reference Pure (matte walnut) / Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute (plum lacquer)