Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by scooterdavis View Post
    I owned a set of SSCs awhile back. I had a terrible time with the kick; couldn't get the thump that I wanted out of it.
    Charging the front head helps a LOT. Couldn't get the sound I wanted until I replaced it.

I have the hardest time with the two rack toms. I feel like the 10" almost sounds better tuned to a lower note than the 12"

2. Registered User

I recently picked up a SSC kit (10" 12" 13" 14" floor 16"floor 22" kick) I think it has to do with the Bering edge. The Bering edges on this kit are relatively sharp, as opposed to the vintage kits which are rounded. My friend Joe Montineri concurs as well, the sharp 45 degree Bering edge inherent to the SSC series gives them superlative "attack", but are less forgiving then a rounded Bering edge. I'll go with the sharp Bering edge and deal with the extra attention because sound is everything... I'm using Clear Vintage Emps on top and Clear Ambi's on the bottom.
    Last edited by Django; 06-04-2017 at 03:58 PM.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I recently picked up a SSC kit (10" 12" 13" 14" floor 16"floor 22" kick) I think it has to do with the Bering edge. The Bering edges on this kit are relatively sharp, as opposed to the vintage kits which are rounded. My friend Joe Montineri concurs as well, the sharp 45 degree Bering edge inherent to the SSC series gives them superlative "attack", but are less forgiving then a rounded Bering edge. I'll go with the sharp Bering edge and deal with the extra attention because sound is everything... I'm using Clear Vintage Emps on top and Clear Ambi's on the bottom.
    I think you're on to something. I've noticed that they're very sensitive to being tuned just so or you can get some wonky overtones

4. Skeld-the -wicked

I used to have a SSC and both rack toms were difficult to tune and also would detune easily. I agree that these drums like lower tuning.
    6 pc Masters Premium Diamond Burst
    6 pc Masters MMX Midnight Purple Fade
    Ian Paice Signature Snare
    A & K cymbals
    All Pearl hardware.

5. Registered User

I find the 10" easier to tune than the 12". Hard to get the sound I want out of the 12". The 10 almost sounds better tuned lower Than the 12"

6. Skeld-the -wicked

I used my previous SSC and matching 6.5 Snare on our demo cd about a year and a half ago . B Side Milwaukee Reverbnation.com. The track Back in the Cadillac is my personal favorite in sound. I used EC2 clears on the toms , Emad heavyweight & Emad reso. St dry on Snare. To be honest I would still have the SSC if I didn't stumble on a MMP Diamond Burst just after the recording. I had to sell it to get the MMP.
    6 pc Masters Premium Diamond Burst
    6 pc Masters MMX Midnight Purple Fade
    Ian Paice Signature Snare
    A & K cymbals
    All Pearl hardware.