Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7475354555657
  1. Kennedy Camden

Quote Originally Posted by dnice View Post
    I used to have my ride where Phil mentioned, but raised it ala Danny Carey and haven't looked back. It very natural and easy to reach. I'd say give it a try.Attachment 506201
    That looks a bit higher than mine, but I find having mine set up similar to this whenever I have a tom to the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Vintage? Do you mean used?
    I used the term "vintage" loosely. The pair on eBay or Reverb appears to be 20-25 years old. So "close to vintage" would've been safer phrasing.

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    That looks a bit higher than mine, but I find having mine set up similar to this whenever I have a tom to the right.
    I think mine is going to end up in a similar vicinity. That looks good Dale.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    Will Chris coat the cymbals with something after polishing them? If so, what will he use?
    No, he recommended against it, since we don't have Paiste's special formula. Plus, even Paiste's coating fails sometimes for one reason or another. Once they are polished smooth, cleaning them will be a snap because I won't have to work around logos, and I have a wash tub now
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. Chomp, Chomp

Your cymbal project is one I did not see coming. Removing the logos is a major move. I have three Paistes whose lacquer finish was comprised and I had to remove logos and lacquer. I thought about selling them but learned that removing the logos significantly reduced the value of the cymbals. I donít use them on my kit because they require regular cleaning. The oldest cymbal on my kit is my ride from 2001 and the lacquer finish is still in tact. The Paiste coating isnít always perfect. Some of my newer cymbals (purchased within the last three years) have what looks like what were small bubbles in the coating. These areas patina over time, but Iíve learned to leave them alone. Thatís how the problems started on the three cymbals whose coating I had to eventually revive. Cleaning was much easier when cymbals didnít have logos. Paiste now uses a laser to engrave the serial number. I really think that they should include the model, size, and weight and be done with the logos.

As for ride placement, I think you nailed it. Itís a choice between toms and ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Drumming since 1961.
    MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Paiste Cymbals

4. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    Your cymbal project is one I did not see coming. Removing the logos is a major move. I have three Paistes whose lacquer finish was comprised and I had to remove logos and lacquer. I thought about selling them but learned that removing the logos significantly reduced the value of the cymbals. I don’t use them on my kit because they require regular cleaning. The oldest cymbal on my kit is my ride from 2001 and the lacquer finish is still in tact. The Paiste coating isn’t always perfect. Some of my newer cymbals (purchased within the last three years) have what looks like what were small bubbles in the coating. These areas patina over time, but I’ve learned to leave them alone. That’s how the problems started on the three cymbals whose coating I had to eventually revive. Cleaning was much easier when cymbals didn’t have logos. Paiste now uses a laser to engrave the serial number. I really think that they should include the model, size, and weight and be done with the logos.

As for ride placement, I think you nailed it. It’s a choice between toms and ride.
    I think the value on a Paiste cymbal might be severely compromised if the logos were gone, because that also means that the protective coating is gone as well. The Sabians and Zildjians come with a temporary coating the is only intended to keep the cymbals from tarnishing while waiting to be sold. After a cleaning, there is no coating on them. The labels are very iffy as well. Some Sabian and Zildjian logo come off with one wipe, particularly on brilliant finish cymbals. I was nursing many of the logos along, filling in faded areas with black sharpie marker. I feel like it's time to let that go. When Chris showed me how nice the cymbals can look when rebuffed on the lathe, I decided I'd rather have a nice polish on the cymbal surface, and make future cleanings easier.

My Zildjians have laser-etched "badges," and it's clear what the cymbal is by looking at the bell, hammering, badge, etc. For example, Zildjian K cymbals have the K badge engraved in the cymbal, as opposed to Avedis or other.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Paiste-oholic

Once the cymbals are buffed, won't they tarnish anyway?

6. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Stranjluv101 View Post
    Yeah, I'm a tad confused as to why you had all this done Matt. The shipping must have been MONSTEROUS.
    Pearl Masters Studio BRX Millennium Mist Artist
    10x8, 12x9, 14x11, 16x13. 16x16, 18x22, 18x22, Eric Singer Sig Snare, MMX 14x5 Snare, 6x12 & 6x15 Rocket Toms
    Pearl Hardware and DW 5000 double pedals

7. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Stranjluv101 View Post
    I'm not getting them resurfaced to prevent them from tarnishing. They are being resurfaced because, for years, I cleaned these cymbals with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, which I thought was harmless. However, the Magic Eraser is mildly abrasive, and has put micro scratches all over the cymbals. Once the cymbals are resurfaced, they will have a smooth, mirror finish, like new. When I go to clean them, I will just use non-abrasive cleaner to remove the tarnish, AND I won't have to struggle to work around the logos.

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Yeah, I'm a tad confused as to why you had all this done Matt. The shipping must have been MONSTEROUS.
    Shipping is not outrageous, as my dealer is generating all of the shipping labels for this endeavor. Businesses get HUGE discounts compared to the common customer. The shipping companies today are giving even bigger discounts to the companies like Amazon, etc. and passing on their losses to the individual.

Also, Chris is doing this for a very reasonable price, much less than Zildjian or Sabian would charge.

I posted these earlier. This is what I'm hoping to eliminate.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

8. PDF Bashing Team Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Shipping is not outrageous, as my dealer is generating all of the shipping labels for this endeavor. Businesses get HUGE discounts compared to the common customer.
    I'd argue that businesses get huge discounts on shipping because they are the common customer. Compared to the lowly consumer, of course.

I personally like traditionally finished cymbals rather than brilliantly finished ones. The unpolished grooves attract more grime and patina bringing on the mellowed, aged tone quicker. I can understand wanting to keep the tonal character of the cymbal as it was purchased though, after all it's what was heard when the money was put down.

I was actually just looking at a couple new cymbals the other day and, holy cannelloni, have their prices ever skyrocketed since I was last in the market for plates.