Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default The Ride Cymbal Show

Hello forum denizens,

We've just posted another gear show but this time around it's about ride cymbals. As drummers most of us love to collect equipment and ride cymbals are one of our favorites. In this show we each talk about our favorite ride cymbals for different styles of music. Give us a listen and see if any of your favorites show up.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-smith-59...de-cymbal-show
    Subscribe to the Drummer's Weekly Groovecast and get a brand new show every Monday. Available on Itunes, Google Play Podcasts, and all of your favorite podcast apps.

www.facebook.com/drummersweeklygroovecast
    www.twitter.com/dwgroovecast

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DrummersGroovecast View Post
    Hello forum denizens,

We've just posted another gear show but this time around it's about ride cymbals. As drummers most of us love to collect equipment and ride cymbals are one of our favorites. In this show we each talk about our favorite ride cymbals for different styles of music. Give us a listen and see if any of your favorites show up.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-smith-59...de-cymbal-show
    You're asking for a 1-hour and 34-minute commitment here; can you sum up what it is you talk about in a sentence or two, giving more specifics than you already have?

3. Experienced Noob

You piqued my interest talking about the Constantinople Bounce Ride. I'd never heard of it before & it sounds like a good one to me.

Like Ryan said, it was a big commitment to listen to the whole thing, so I had it in the background as I worked yesterday. I may have missed it, but I don't think you mentioned the K Custom Hybrid Rides. For my money, that is one of the best all-around rides out there. It has the perfect balance of wash & stick definition, crashes nicely (I don't crash on mine but a lot of people look for that these days) & a very pleasing bell sound. The only issue I have with it is that the bell is not very loud. A mic on it takes care of that for recording/mixing purposes, but still, it'd be nice if the bell was louder. Overall, though, it's a really great ride cymbal.

4. There can be only 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    I may have missed it, but I don't think you mentioned the K Custom Hybrid Rides. For my money, that is one of the best all-around rides out there. It has the perfect balance of wash & stick definition, crashes nicely (I don't crash on mine but a lot of people look for that these days) & a very pleasing bell sound. The only issue I have with it is that the bell is not very loud. A mic on it takes care of that for recording/mixing purposes, but still, it'd be nice if the bell was louder. Overall, though, it's a really great ride cymbal.
    The K hybrid ride is a killer ride. I find it pretty versatile. It's definitely a washy ride but i find that you can get a lot of different sounds out of it depending on where you're hitting. It can cover from washy to more pingy & it's a very musical sound imo. If you're looking for a ride that covers a lot of sonic space it will do the job.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FL Drummer View Post
    The K hybrid ride is a killer ride. I find it pretty versatile. It's definitely a washy ride but i find that you can get a lot of different sounds out of it depending on where you're hitting. It can cover from washy to more pingy & it's a very musical sound imo. If you're looking for a ride that covers a lot of sonic space it will do the job.
    I have the 21" and I very much agree with this. Even though it is a bit washy when laying into it on the lathed portion, it's not so overbearing that the stick definition is lost. I use mine is blues, classic and more modern rock, country and some pop stuff and it fits well in all of those genres. A buddy of mine even used it for metal and it worked decent there as well, aside from the bell lacking a bit.

And as Mike said they crash beautifully. I'd be ok using mine solely as a crash and I'm not a big fan of the sound crashing a ride usually produces.