Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    The rods would cost under $11 plus shipping. Do you mean the shipping is expensive?
    The shipping would be expensive or challenging or both. So if I know what I'm looking for I could ask around here.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

2. Registered User

In the end I had to purchase after market rods. I was able to ship them to someone travelling and she will (all going to plan...) bring them back soon from USA.

3. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    In the end I had to purchase after market rods. I was able to ship them to someone travelling and she will (all going to plan...) bring them back soon from USA.
    It's not such a bad thing. Dunnett is not using proprietary rods, like Pearl stainless or DW stainless True Pitch (where no one else offers anything like them). In other words, your replacements will likely be just as nice or nicer than the original. Were you able to get the black ones like you wanted?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

4. Registered User

It's not such a bad thing. Dunnett is not using proprietary rods, like Pearl stainless or DW stainless True Pitch (where no one else offers anything like them). In other words, your replacements will likely be just as nice or nicer than the original. Were you able to get the black ones like you wanted?
    Yeah - did get black; the same product that you referenced.

I agree. I don't have a problem with the rods. As long as they aren't powder coated and TBH I'm not sure if they are or aren't?! But I don't think they are. They'll be ok.

I just wish I had a better outcome with Dunnett and it would have saved me a lot of time and energy, but it is what it is.

With rods on the way it's time to procure some long overdue snare heads. You guys get a decent deal on snare heads in USA but here it's tricky. But I think I just found a place from which I can achieve a reasonable deal, all things considered. Got to consult further with them this week. Wish me luck.

5. Playing since 1976

Yeah - did get black; the same product that you referenced.

I agree. I don't have a problem with the rods. As long as they aren't powder coated and TBH I'm not sure if they are or aren't?! But I don't think they are. They'll be ok.

I just wish I had a better outcome with Dunnett and it would have saved me a lot of time and energy, but it is what it is.

With rods on the way it's time to procure some long overdue snare heads. You guys get a decent deal on snare heads in USA but here it's tricky. But I think I just found a place from which I can achieve a reasonable deal, all things considered. Got to consult further with them this week. Wish me luck.
    I'm almost certain the rods are not powder coated, as that would interfere with the threads and function of the rods. Powder coating is relatively thick - not a good choice for coating a tension rod.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Registered User

I'm almost certain the rods are not powder coated, as that would interfere with the threads and function of the rods. Powder coating is relatively thick - not a good choice for coating a tension rod.
    That was my thought!

7. Registered User

Here's an update. No one cares much but I will get it off my chest.

I sent the rods to my colleagues fiancÚ when she was in USA. She got back here (to Aus) about a week ago.

Pretty sure she has lost the rods, although she remembers packing them...

She apparently needs to check a suitcase and give me an update soon.

Now it's over a year since the drum has seen any action

8. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Ugh. Sorry.

9. SUPREME MODULATOR

Here's an update. No one cares much but I will get it off my chest.

I sent the rods to my colleagues fiancÚ when she was in USA. She got back here (to Aus) about a week ago.

Pretty sure she has lost the rods, although she remembers packing them...

She apparently needs to check a suitcase and give me an update soon.

Now it's over a year since the drum has seen any action
    Are you alright??? Of course no one gives a ****. Its a ****ing tension rod.
    Your buddy's girl doesnt even give a **** because its a tension rod. Ron wont give a **** because its a tension rod. Why do you give a ****? Its a tension rod. Have you just ****ing called him???
    Seriously what the ****??? The drum being out of servece for a year is your fault.

For gods sake man we're drummers! I can find tension rods under my sofa cushions.
    Get it together.

10. SUPREME MODULATOR

I'd have to see the snare drum, but that looks like the result of cranking the head down, and leaving it stored that way. Tube lugs look great, but they are unforgiving. Even if all of the tension rods align with the tube lugs perfectly (no splay), this can still happen when you crank down the heads. Years ago, I bought a used Sensitone Elite snare from a session drummer. When I received it, it sounded great... but it was a mess. Some drums just sound great cranked down. ALL of the tension rods were like yours. I had to trash them all. I've found that the stainless steel tension rods are a little more resilient, but are still susceptible to this bending, especially cranked down, especially with tube lugs. The best thing I can recommend is to crank up your snare, enjoy it while you play it, then loosen everything before you store it. Even with that, you still might get some bending tension rods, especially if they are plain steel.

It's definitely going to happen to this Dunnett... look to the left and right.

Attachment 501782
    Sorry but no.
    Im not speaking as a drummer im speaking as a man with years of experience in metals, fabrication, and of late...cycle, static, and dynamic testing of a broad range of materials specifically for aerospace and no...it doesnt work that way.

Tension rods...all moving parts...will be subjected to more wear and degradation through constant loading and unloading than if you just leave them alone...even if under load.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PYRRHO View Post
    Are you alright??? Of course no one gives a ****. Its a ****ing tension rod. Your buddy's girl doesnt even give a **** because its a tension rod. Ron wont give a **** because its a tension rod. Why do you give a ****? Its a tension rod. Have you just ****ing called him??? Seriously what the ****??? The drum being out of servece for a year is your fault. For gods sake man we're drummers! I can find tension rods under my sofa cushions. Get it together.
    Are you sure you are not the one who needs to get it together?

You are entitled to blame me (it just doesn't reflect well on you).

I spent about six months trying to deal with Ronn, then gave up.

12. SUPREME MODULATOR

Are you sure you are not the one who needs to get it together?

You are entitled to blame me (it just doesn't reflect well on you).

I spent about six months trying to deal with Ronn, then gave up.
    Its a tension rod. It costs less than a dollar.
    Your drum is out of service for a year...over a single tension rod...because you gave up.
    Who else is there to blame?