Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PYRRHO View Post
    Its a tension rod. It costs less than a dollar. Your drum is out of service for a year...over a single tension rod...because you gave up. Who else is there to blame?
    Ok
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

2. Registered User

Hi,

Part of the reason that the tensions rods might not be straight is because there are no gaskets underneath the lugs.

MM
    Last edited by MusicMan; 01-08-2019 at 06:41 AM.
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

3. Registered User

I finally received the originally-ordered tension rods very late last year, in time to assemble the drum and take some new happy snaps.

Turns out they are not the right size i.e. the length doesn't match. But I ordered enough to do the whole drum and they do work fine.

I rushed these photos unfortunately but they are better than the ones I had. So here goes in case anyone is interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

4. Away From The World

Sweet mate, issues or not.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I second that! That's one sweet looking SD Matt!

6. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    +1. i especially like the many gold inserts here and there.it mix great with the throw off system without getting intrusive visually.

as for the bent tension rods ,i've learned the hard way alomg the years; when i park a snare drum for some time, i automatically unscrew the TR's ,so no tension on the lugs and rods. you don't need a tuned snare drum when it,s off duty anyways.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Hi,

Part of the reason that the tensions rods might not be straight is because there are no gaskets underneath the lugs.

MM
    I get what you're saying, but the issue is a lot bigger than that.

There is no play in the receivers for the rods; they are firm as can be. Quite a departure from the Pearl designs we are familiar with. If the shell didn't have so much flex, it would be a disaster.

I've actually seen one of these snares for sale online (second hand) and it too had a bent rod.

In fact, while the drum sounds phenomenal, I am pretty disappointed with the rods as well as the lug design (in terms of the tension rod receivers).

8. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post

There is no play in the receivers for the rods; they are firm as can be. Quite a departure from the Pearl designs we are familiar with. If the shell didn't have so much flex, it would be a disaster.

I've actually seen one of these snares for sale online (second hand) and it too had a bent rod.

In fact, while the drum sounds phenomenal, I am pretty disappointed with the rods as well as the lug design (in terms of the tension rod receivers).
    Dunnett doesn't make the tube lugs; they are made by Corder, USA. Are you saying there is less play when you install the tension rods? In other words, they screw in, but they wiggle around much less than say a Pearl or Ludwig tube lug? If that's the case, it can be fixed.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post

Pearl's swivel tension rod receivers do make a difference. Even the difference between standard Pearl tugs (CL or TL series) and the swivel version (STL or BRL series) is noticeable.

I will occasionally buy a Pearl snare drum with swivel lugs and then exchange out the lugs for standard hardware when I resell it and it always reminds me how much nicer it is to assemble and tune the drums with the swivel hardware. There's often one or two of the standard lugs that squeak or don't tighten smoothly (and I don't like using grease that keeps the lug loose either).

MM
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Dunnett doesn't make the tube lugs; they are made by Corder, USA. Are you saying there is less play when you install the tension rods? In other words, they screw in, but they wiggle around much less than say a Pearl or Ludwig tube lug? If that's the case, it can be fixed.
    I didn't mean to imply that Dunnett makes the part. I didn't know which company made it, only that Dunnett selected it to use on the snare.

What I am saying is that there is NO play. The receivers don't move, or wiggle. They are not made to do that. I don't have the drum right now to inspect but I can say that the receiver is right hard up against the lug part. And if that can be changed - or fixed - my mind is blown!

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Pearl's swivel tension rod receivers do make a difference. Even the difference between standard Pearl tugs (CL or TL series) and the swivel version (STL or BRL series) is noticeable.

I will occasionally buy a Pearl snare drum with swivel lugs and then exchange out the lugs for standard hardware when I resell it and it always reminds me how much nicer it is to assemble and tune the drums with the swivel hardware. There's often one or two of the standard lugs that squeak or don't tighten smoothly (and I don't like using grease that keeps the lug loose either).

MM
    On your stainless rods (which I think you have on most (or all) your Pearl snares) it's not critical. With other rods it's recommended that something is put on them. Hence many come standard with a dab of grease. I use a product on mine when I disassemble and reassemble.

There was no grease on the rods that came stock on the Dunnett. I didn't attend to it when it was new and, some time later, there was a fair amount of rust built up. Mapex Black Panther comes with greased rods... but not the Dunnett. Go figure.