Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Dunnett replacement parts query

All,

Hoping that this will save me some time if anyone has had experience with this...

This tension rod is from a Dunnett Tourbillon snare drum that I purchased some years ago.

The rod has been distorted since new. Unfortunately I've never noticed it because I'm only replacing the resonant head today.

Best case scenario it is replaced for free by the manufacturer or the retailer. Alternative scenario; I buy a replacement Dunnett part. Worst case scenario I buy an aftermarket part that may or may not match properly.

The retailer, manufacturer, and I are all in different continents.

Does anyone have advice on where to start/options to rectify this issue?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

2. Registered User

You'd think that would've been noticed during assembly. If not visually then by the physical act of trying to thread it. How, may I ask, did you notice it. While taking it out or visually?

I worked at a rock quarry driving Euclid's. The cylinder that lifts the bed is at least 14" around. Heavy and expensive.

The quarry owners sent one off to be repaired. It came back and sat 6 mons. When the owners finally installed it, the cylinder leaked.

They called to complain and the shop said send it back. The owners asked " for free?" And the shop said " No, you've had it along time. How do we know what you've been doing with it?"

If you get a free replacement part, even though it's not an expensive hydraulic cylinder, I'll be quite surprised.

Don't mean to be a bummer to someone that's already bummed about their gear. I HOPE they say " Here ya go, buddy !" But I just wouldn't count on it.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    You'd think that would've been noticed during assembly. If not visually then by the physical act of trying to thread it. How, may I ask, did you notice it. While taking it out or visually? I worked at a rock quarry driving Euclid's. The cylinder that lifts the bed is at least 14" around. Heavy and expensive. The quarry owners sent one off to be repaired. It came back and sat 6 mons. When the owners finally installed it, the cylinder leaked. They called to complain and the shop said send it back. The owners asked " for free?" And the shop said " No, you've had it along time. How do we know what you've been doing with it?" If you get a free replacement part, even though it's not an expensive hydraulic cylinder, I'll be quite surprised. Don't mean to be a bummer to someone that's already bummed about their gear. I HOPE they say " Here ya go, buddy !" But I just wouldn't count on it. Good luck and let us know what happens.
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes, you'd think that it would be noticed during assembly, or before. But for whatever reason it wasn't.

I noticed it when taking it out, as the screw motion wasn't uniform, as you can imagine with something so bent out of shape.

It is literally impossible for it to have happened in my possession (as far as I can tell, anyway), given the drum's movements since I bought it. It's had limited use and no gigging and the reso head has never been replaced.

But of course the chances of a free replacement part or slim. However, for a drum with such a price tag one must enquire. Plus it needs to match, thus starting this thread...

4. There really is a Kalamazoo!

Why not contact Dunnett direct and ask them the best way to deal with this? We can speculate all we want in this thread but it really doesn't make a difference.
    I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by wsgnst View Post
    Why not contact Dunnett direct and ask them the best way to deal with this? We can speculate all we want in this thread but it really doesn't make a difference.
    There is no reason not to. And I wasn't asking for speculation.

My intent was to understand any relevant experience of others. If none, I will need to start making contact with the suppliers and see what happens.

6. Registered User

Will do thank you. For the record please let me clarify though that I'm not putting down the Dunnett product at all. The rod could have been bent any number of ways. All I know is it happened before the drum got to me and that I didn't buy it second hand. Still one of my favourite drums
    Last edited by MattKeaton; 04-18-2017 at 07:40 PM.

7. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    All,

Hoping that this will save me some time if anyone has had experience with this...

This tension rod is from a Dunnett Tourbillon snare drum that I purchased some years ago.

The rod has been distorted since new. Unfortunately I've never noticed it because I'm only replacing the resonant head today.

Best case scenario it is replaced for free by the manufacturer or the retailer. Alternative scenario; I buy a replacement Dunnett part. Worst case scenario I buy an aftermarket part that may or may not match properly.

The retailer, manufacturer, and I are all in different continents.

Does anyone have advice on where to start/options to rectify this issue?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt
    I'd have to see the snare drum, but that looks like the result of cranking the head down, and leaving it stored that way. Tube lugs look great, but they are unforgiving. Even if all of the tension rods align with the tube lugs perfectly (no splay), this can still happen when you crank down the heads. Years ago, I bought a used Sensitone Elite snare from a session drummer. When I received it, it sounded great... but it was a mess. Some drums just sound great cranked down. ALL of the tension rods were like yours. I had to trash them all. I've found that the stainless steel tension rods are a little more resilient, but are still susceptible to this bending, especially cranked down, especially with tube lugs. The best thing I can recommend is to crank up your snare, enjoy it while you play it, then loosen everything before you store it. Even with that, you still might get some bending tension rods, especially if they are plain steel.

It's definitely going to happen to this Dunnett... look to the left and right.

Name:  a4405d2a0a535f87f440917c9db94b4b.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  83.4 KB
    My website ===> CLICK HERE
    My eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    My facebook page ===> CLICK HERE
    My YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

8. Registered User

A) You purchased the drum "some years ago". How can you be so certain it was like that before you got it? You didn't notice it till now, years later....could've happened anywhere along that path. The only way you could be certain this happened before your possession is if you noticed it the day you received it.

B) It's just a tension rod......they're hardly proprietary. Pick up (or order) another one in the right size/colour and keep on playing.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by malamikigo View Post
    A) You purchased the drum "some years ago". How can you be so certain it was like that before you got it? You didn't notice it till now, years later....could've happened anywhere along that path. The only way you could be certain this happened before your possession is if you noticed it the day you received it. B) It's just a tension rod......they're hardly proprietary. Pick up (or order) another one in the right size/colour and keep on playing.
    I sense a peculiar tone of your post. In any case, here goes... I suspect that it happened before I got it because it's the only tension rod on the drum and the only tension rod that I've ever owned, across more than a dozen snares, that has ever been bent, ever, in the 20+ year history of my drumming hobby. You will notice I said "as far as I can tell". Perhaps it did happen during its time with me. I agree I cannot be certain. And D4L makes a good point. As for the proprietary nature of the product... I agree it's not "proprietary", but it is unique, as it is treated with black finish or the material itself is black. It doesn't appear to be powder coated, but I'm no expert on these things.

I will write to Ronn and see what he says.
    Last edited by MattKeaton; 04-20-2017 at 01:52 AM.

10. Kennedy Camden

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I'd have to see the snare drum, but that looks like the result of cranking the head down, and leaving it stored that way. Tube lugs look great, but they are unforgiving. Even if all of the tension rods align with the tube lugs perfectly (no splay), this can still happen when you crank down the heads. Years ago, I bought a used Sensitone Elite snare from a session drummer. When I received it, it sounded great... but it was a mess. Some drums just sound great cranked down. ALL of the tension rods were like yours. I had to trash them all. I've found that the stainless steel tension rods are a little more resilient, but are still susceptible to this bending, especially cranked down, especially with tube lugs. The best thing I can recommend is to crank up your snare, enjoy it while you play it, then loosen everything before you store it. Even with that, you still might get some bending tension rods, especially if they are plain steel. It's definitely going to happen to this Dunnett... look to the left and right.
    Are you saying because of the spray it's going to happen?

11. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Are you saying because of the spray it's going to happen?
    Yes, that along with cranking the heads down really tight. It's not a "Dunnett" thing. It's the classic tube lugs along with very high tension on the heads. The tube lugs are totally unforgiving... they don't flex, and they allow no room for realignment. So if the forces from all the tension push the rod in any direction, other than straight down into the tube lug, the tension rods may bend. Especially if they are plain steel. Plain steel tension rods are not as strong as stainless steel rods.
    My website ===> CLICK HERE
    My eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    My facebook page ===> CLICK HERE
    My YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE