Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default My band buddies can hear the difference between a 20" and 22" kick!

The guys in my band all howled with displeasure last gig at the sound of my 20" Yamaha stage custom kick drum. They are getting fussy and prefer the sound of a 22" or 24" kick. I did a little bit of on-stage tuning as well as PA tweaking to add a bit of low-end to the drum. That helped, but they still weren't 100% satisfied with the sound.

I always thought they were oblivious to anything but a drum's color. Guess I was proven wrong. From now on, I'll haul the bigger kicks to gigs.

The kicks they like include:
    16x24" Gretsch Renown
    18x22" Gretsch Renown
    16x22" Pearl DX Professional
    18x22" Pearl MCX

2. "One, please."

To spare your back, or just if you prefer the 20, you should bring it to the next show, say it's a 22 before the gig, and then ask if it was better afterward. I'd be interested to see what they say if they think it's a 22.
    "Hello. Hi, um, I'm a recovering crackhead. This is my retarded sister that I take care of.

I'd like some welfare, please."

3. Registered User

They also look too small to me.

4. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    To spare your back, or just if you prefer the 20, you should bring it to the next show, say it's a 22 before the gig, and then ask if it was better afterward. I'd be interested to see what they say if they think it's a 22.
    Backed

5. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    The guys in my band all howled with displeasure last gig at the sound of my 20" Yamaha stage custom kick drum. They are getting fussy and prefer the sound of a 22" or 24" kick. I did a little bit of on-stage tuning as well as PA tweaking to add a bit of low-end to the drum. That helped, but they still weren't 100% satisfied with the sound.

I always thought they were oblivious to anything but a drum's color. Guess I was proven wrong. From now on, I'll haul the bigger kicks to gigs.

16x24" Gretsch Renown
    18x22" Gretsch Renown
    18x22" Pearl MCX
    How do you have the 20" kick set up? Also, what's the depth of the kick, 17"? Just curious.
    I'M INTERESTED IN SELLING SOME OF MY PEARL SNARE DRUMS AND/OR SELLING THE BLACK HARDWARE ONLY. IF YOU WANT TO CHECK THEM OUT, CLICK THE LINK FOR MY WEBSITE BELOW. GO TO DRUMS/SNARE DRUMS. MESSAGE ME WITH ANY OFFERS.

My website ===> CLICK HERE
    My eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    How do you have the 20" kick set up? Also, what's the depth of the kick, 17"? Just curious.
    It's a 17x20" Yamaha Stage Custom Birch bass drum. It has a Remo PS batter and a Remo PS reso with a 5" port. I muffled it with about a 2-3" layer of loose fleece cloth pieces. I miced it with a Shure Beta 52 directly into the PA (no sub-mixer). PA highs and mids are at about 25%. Lows are at about 70%.

It sounded good to me; lots of punch but not much "boom". I think my guys are into the "boom" rather than the punch. Years ago I was in a band in which I used a very similar Yamaha SC bass drum. They guys loved the sound.

7. Registered User

It's a 17x20" Yamaha Stage Custom Birch bass drum. It has a Remo PS batter and a Remo PS reso with a 5" port. I muffled it with about a 2-3" layer of loose fleece cloth pieces. I miced it with a Shure Beta 52 directly into the PA (no sub-mixer). PA highs and mids are at about 25%. Lows are at about 70%. It sounded good to me; lots of punch but not much "boom". I think my guys are into the "boom" rather than the punch. Years ago I was in a band in which I used a very similar Yamaha SC bass drum. They guys loved the sound.
    I had a stage custom years ago (before they were 100% birch) the 22x17 kick was the hi light of the entire kit. I had an EMad batter and stock reso head with no muffling and it was a cannon. Haven't played an all birch stage custom yet with 20" kick but I can guarantee what a 22 will do for you!.. They are Really nice drums for the $$

8. Banned

16x24" Gretsch Renown
    18x22" Gretsch Renown
    18x22" Pearl MCX
    tell them you prefer the sound of a marshall double stack.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    tell them you prefer the sound of a marshall double stack.
    'nough said.

Did the other preferred kicks have PS3 batters?
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

10. Registered User

The Pearl DX has a PS3. All the others have EMADs.

11. Registered User

I have never had an issue getting low end out of a 20.. Emads are a great choice.

I agree with space jeff lol. I'm the drummer. If you want the bigger drum you can carry it for me.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
    I have never had an issue getting low end out of a 20.. Emads are a great choice. I agree with space jeff lol. I'm the drummer. If you want the bigger drum you can carry it for me.
    Yeah. I don't think PS3 is a bad head, but I think it could be worth testing an Evans and see what they think of that
    Last edited by MattKeaton; 04-19-2017 at 10:03 PM.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN