Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Quick review

1. funeral director.

Default Quick review

Just got my new Decades set up and took them for a test run today.. thought I would give a quick review.

First off, satin while pearl is gorgeous! I love it.
    These drums sound killer. I literally spent 45 seconds tuning these things, and even with the cheap UT heads on them, the drums sound amazing. The 24" kick is warm and punchy, the 13" rack tom sounds massive, and the 16" floor tom has some serious low end growl. My only gripes are that the floor tom only has 6 lugs as opposed to 8 on my previous kits, and the tension rods on both the floor and rack tom could benefit from lug locks. A couple of the tension rods backed out slightly when I played them, requiring a quick adjustment.

Other than that, these drums kick some serious butt. I've been playing a 20/12/16 set for years, so it's nice to be back home with a 24" kick.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_ View Post
    Just got my new Decades set up and took them for a test run today.. thought I would give a quick review. First off, satin while pearl is gorgeous! I love it. These drums sound killer. I literally spent 45 seconds tuning these things, and even with the cheap UT heads on them, the drums sound amazing. The 24" kick is warm and punchy, the 13" rack tom sounds massive, and the 16" floor tom has some serious low end growl. My only gripes are that the floor tom only has 6 lugs as opposed to 8 on my previous kits, and the tension rods on both the floor and rack tom could benefit from lug locks. A couple of the tension rods backed out slightly when I played them, requiring a quick adjustment. Other than that, these drums kick some serious butt. I've been playing a 20/12/16 set for years, so it's nice to be back home with a 24" kick.
    Congrats on the new kit and thanks for the review. I'm amazed at Pearl's ability to produce such a great product within this price point. They'll likely gain market share with these great kits.
    Guru Tour padauk segmented 12, 16, 22, 7x14
    Tama Star (green cordia) 10, 12, 16, 22, 6x13
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic) 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22, 5x14
    Tama Starclassic bubinga (light jade) and maple (Caribbean blue)

3. Registered User

Not if they keep making kits that can't hold a tuning... Just sayin'

4. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
    Congrats on the new kit and thanks for the review. I'm amazed at Pearl's ability to produce such a great product within this price point. They'll likely gain market share with these great kits.
    From the videos I've watched, the Decade Maple drums sound great. That whole kit cost less than one of the rack toms from my new set.
    My website ===> CLICK HERE
    My eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    My facebook page ===> CLICK HERE
    My YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

5. No Drum on Shabbas!!

I've played a set of Decades at my Local Guitar Center. They sounded really good. I of course had to pull out my drum key and actually tune them (Guitar center doesn't believe in tuning up their display drums). These seem like they would be a perfect gig kit. But so do the Session Customs... and the Wood Fiberglass kits.... which is the one I went with.

DESPERATELY SEEKING A MHX BASS DRUM WITH A BB-3 TOM MOUNT IN WINE RED